Looking for opinions on AEV Prospector XL

jagarcia89

Hey all,
I currently drive a 2022 Ram 1500 TRX and have a camp ovrlnd camper on order. Lately, I have been considering ditching it and getting a 3/4 ton where I won't have to worry about weight and will get the MPG benefit of a diesel. I recently found a 2018 PXL that already has a camper on the back (I'd use it until my ovrlnd is built then try to sell) that I could trade virtually straight up for.

My issue is, I have never gotten a chance to drive a PXL, don't know anyone who has one, and am not sure if I'd really benefit much in terms of MPG given the size an 40" tires.

Anyone out there have any experience with these things? What kind of mileage are you getting with your set up? Just looking for any feedback on these things as it's an out of state deal and I don't want to drive 15 hours, trade in my dream truck then find out I made the wrong move on the drive home. It's at a dealer and they don't know much about it.

Thanks.

GeorgeHayduke

Not sure I'd make that switch. The interior on a 2018 will be a step backward from your 2022. Smaller cab and older generation infotainment. You'll also lose the great LED headlights on the 2019+ trucks.
Payload on a diesel 2500 is about 2200lbs and more like 4000lbs on a 3500, but not sure what the load capacity will be on those 40's. You'll get a bigger bed and solid axles. I'd want to know if the PXL was regeared and if it has lockers. It definitely won't be as fun to drive as the supercharged hemi and the 68RFE transmission won't be as smooth or reliable as the ZF in your TRX.

jagarcia89

Not sure I'd make that switch. The interior on a 2018 will be a step backward from your 2022. Smaller cab and older generation infotainment. You'll also lose the great LED headlights on the 2019+ trucks.
Payload on a diesel 2500 is about 2200lbs and more like 4000lbs on a 3500, but not sure what the load capacity will be on those 40's. You'll get a bigger bed and solid axles. I'd want to know if the PXL was regeared and if it has lockers. It definitely won't be as fun to drive as the supercharged hemi and the 68RFE transmission won't be as smooth or reliable as the ZF in your TRX.
Great feedback. I actually went and drove a new 2022 PXL today. Drove nice and I could get it for about 100k. So I could go into a brand new one for an extra $10k. Problem is, in CA I have to pay tax on the full value- not just trade difference. So I'd have to pay $7600 in taxes when I just spent $6k in taxes. So it'd be a ton of miles to make it make sense from an MPG perspective. It'd only be for the payload.

ttengineer

Adventurer
The AEV suspension doesn’t effect payload since they use the factory springs.

You can get 40” ATs now from both Maxxis and Gladiator but the Maxxis only comes in an r20. The AT makes running 40s more palatable since you’ll get 40k out of them instead of 25k on MTs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GeorgeHayduke

How much payload do you actually need? That's a lot of money to throw away just at taxes. You've got a brand new TRX that is a dream truck for a lot of folks, are you sure you can't make it work? Take a few less creature comforts, spend a night in a hotel here and there, titanium pots instead of cast iron etc. An HD truck loaded up to 10k + lbs will never handle like a lighter weight TRX.

billiebob

If you are buying in the PXL category you are not considering gas mileage.
If you are spending $100K is tax a real issue? You are in the group where you know what you need. Cost, Tax be damned.
$7600 of taxes.... which we all pay... on a $100K truck is a deal breaker.
Death and Taxes, the two constants.

Last edited:

ramblinChet

Strike one - it's diesel. Unless you are towing 15k+ daily and making money doing it, the diesel is a waste of money. I really wanted the diesel, had the money to burn, ran the numbers and logic directed me to the 6.4L HEMI. The break even on purchasing a diesel is usually around the 250k mile mark.

Strike two - it's a Prospector XL. Considering that it only sits 1.5" higher when compared to the Prospector on 37s the XL is well past the point of diminishing returns. I really love how the XL looks, and again I had the money to burn, but logic won again and I am very happy with my Prospector in 37s.

Strike three - it's an older rig and someone else owned it. This is more of a personal choice and depending on how long you plan to own the rig, maybe it does or does not matter. For me, I like to buy new and take exceptional care of my gear.

These are just my opinions though. I purchased a Tradesman with a few mods, had AEV upgrade with the Prospector package, and was out the door under $60k for a brand new AEV Prospector.

jagarcia89

How much payload do you actually need? That's a lot of money to throw away just at taxes. You've got a brand new TRX that is a dream truck for a lot of folks, are you sure you can't make it work? Take a few less creature comforts, spend a night in a hotel here and there, titanium pots instead of cast iron etc. An HD truck loaded up to 10k + lbs will never handle like a lighter weight TRX.

Here's the calculator I put together with some of my existing gear. Weight of the Ovrlnd is an estimate. Weight of the bikes is estimated high to account for the associated gear and the 60 beers is just the capacity of the cooler. So while some things are estimated and some estimated high, there are defintely small odds and ends not included. The current calculation has me very close to max payload. Obviously, the TRX has the power to move more, but the rear on these things are quite soft and there are currently no solutions in the market as far as stiffer coils or helper springs so my concern is sagging

1646839109440.png
If you are buying in the PXL category you are not considering gas mileage.
If you are spending $100K is tax a real issue? You are in the group where you know what you need. Cost, Tax be damned.
$7600 of taxes.... which we all pay... on a $100K truck is a deal breaker.
Death and Taxes, the two constants.
Yeah, I guess I was just surprised I would have to pay tax on the full value, not just the trade difference. No matter what the budgets and financial situation. Paying $7,600 two months after paying $6,000 in taxes is no fun. Especially this time of year when I already have to stroke another $5,000 to uncle sam. Going into a different rig that may be better suited for less than $10,000 is way more appealing than for $17,000

Strike one - it's diesel. Unless you are towing 15k+ daily and making money doing it, the diesel is a waste of money. I really wanted the diesel, had the money to burn, ran the numbers and logic directed me to the 6.4L HEMI. The break even on purchasing a diesel is usually around the 250k mile mark.

Strike two - it's a Prospector XL. Considering that it only sits 1.5" higher when compared to the Prospector on 37s the XL is well past the point of diminishing returns. I really love how the XL looks, and again I had the money to burn, but logic won again and I am very happy with my Prospector in 37s.

Strike three - it's an older rig and someone else owned it. This is more of a personal choice and depending on how long you plan to own the rig, maybe it does or does not matter. For me, I like to buy new and take exceptional care of my gear.

These are just my opinions though. I purchased a Tradesman with a few mods, had AEV upgrade with the Prospector package, and was out the door under $60k for a brand new AEV Prospector.

Yeah I think the PXL is more than I need. Same as you, I just think they look awesome. But hell, the TRX was more than I need I just liked it (and had some sentimental attachment to it). I really would like to just get a 2500 stock and do it myself, but 100+ days from order to delivery right now, I am worried I would be pushing to close to my Ovrlnd completion date. As far as gas v diesel, It's just for the slightly better economy. I had a power wagon with a 6.4 before and they get pretty close to the 10-12MPG of the TRX especially with tires and a camper. I went and drove a brand new PXL on Monday and they would do 99k on it and give me about MSRP for my TRX (which I paid less than). So at this point, if I move forward it will be for a brand new 2022.

ramblinChet

Yeah, I guess I was just surprised I would have to pay tax on the full value, not just the trade difference. No matter what the budgets and financial situation. Paying $7,600 two months after paying $6,000 in taxes is no fun.

Call your DMV, state tax office, or an accountant. They are well aware of exactly how taxes are handled when trading and purchasing between states. Most dealers, unless they are in adjacent states, will charge full tax and leave it for you to sort out.

Wilbah

Adventurer
What do you get for mileage with your vehicle now fully loaded? You might find there is a much larger MPG difference than comparing empty to empty. I know my buddy's diesel tradesman (2013 or '14) fully loaded with 4 guys fishing for a week we averaged 20-21 mpg (hand and computer calc'd). If you're getting 10 (just a guess) with a fully loaded TRX that makes the BE different (even with the big difference between price of fuel). But many times gassers have a much bigger drop off in fuel efficiency when loaded.

I have to think though with prices where they are I expect we will see a LOT of used 3/4 tons on the market in the next few months so I would be inclined to wait just a bit. This spike in fuel costs will likely cause a lot of people to say "I don't really need a 3/4 ton diesel" who bought one when fuel was $2.00-$2.25/gallon. I may be wrong but that's my guess.

Also the tax would give me pause. Maybe check with an accountant to see if you get a rebate of what you already paid if you trade the truck within some "X" period of time? Be good to know and have anything like that included in the calcs.

GeorgeHayduke

100lbs for 2 bikes seems pretty heavy unless you're rocking e-bikes? 16.5 gallons between water and beer is a lot of heavy liquid. Whiskey is lighter :).

Maybe consider a ground tent instead of the ovrlnd camper? A 2 person tent can easily be <5 lbs. I think a GFC would save you about 100lbs vs the ovrlnd camper if you insist on sleeping off the ground.

UglyViking

OP, I've got a 2019 Ram 2500 with Cummins. Love the truck. I also love the look of them with 40s and the AEV flares, and constantly debate doing that to mine, so I feel where you are coming from. Here is a few pieces of feedback.

First and foremost, if it's simply a capacity thing then perhaps you can look into airbags for when you're loaded up. Perhaps airlift or firestone have an option for the TRX. That would get you everything you need.

If it's most about having additional headroom, well the 2500 has a bit more, but if you are ever thinking of upgrading to a larger hard sided camper and are concerned about "legal payload" then you should be looking into a 3500 from the start. Said another way, you started with the TRX and find yourself needing more, do you expect to come to this again?

AEV trucks are sweet looking, but they are insanely overpriced for what you're getting. I'd use them as a bit of a parts bin, but stay away from their suspension and don't pay the unnecessary cost just to get a door sticker and a bull embroidered onto your headrest.

Diesel costs more up front, costs more in maintenance, and currently at least is about the same price as midgrade. I'm pretty sure that the 6.4 has 89 octane recommended, so your fuel costs are about the same right now, but you'll go about 2x the distance (similarly equipped vehicles) on a diesel over a gasser. Depending on how often you like to stop on long road trips and all that may dictate how important that is to you.

Also keep in mind that modern diesels require DEF, which is about $15 for 2.5 gal currently. It's another cost. Plus, you can't treat them like a grocery getter for 99% of their lives. You do need to get on the highway and put some miles on them. Different than what most people say, towing is not a requirement, but getting on the highway and getting things heated up for a little bit is important.

On the flip side, you're also getting a lot better trade in, although that Prospector XL is pretty unique and doesn't play to the same crowd I'm still thinking that the Cummins equipped trucks outsell the HEMI ones by prob 8:1.

If it were me, and you really wanted the diesel 2500 (I know I did) then I'd look at buying a "stock" one and modding it from there. You can do the AEV flares, or suspension or whatever down the road, you don't have to send it to AEV, and again as much as I like their parts I would absolutely not pay their markup.

Tex68w

Beach Bum

I completely agree with these statements. The aesthetic appeal and cool factor of the 40's is real, but they really don't equate to the added expense up front and on the fuel bill being worth the better looks IMHO. I'd look at buying new versus the last Gen truck which is not only a step back in tech and creature comforts (the LED headlights in particular) but you're also buying something someone else possibly mistreated in ways that might not show their head until a few years down the road leaving you to clean up the mess.

What do you get for mileage with your vehicle now fully loaded? You might find there is a much larger MPG difference than comparing empty to empty. I know my buddy's diesel tradesman (2013 or '14) fully loaded with 4 guys fishing for a week we averaged 20-21 mpg (hand and computer calc'd). If you're getting 10 (just a guess) with a fully loaded TRX that makes the BE different (even with the big difference between price of fuel). But many times gassers have a much bigger drop off in fuel efficiency when loaded.

I have to think though with prices where they are I expect we will see a LOT of used 3/4 tons on the market in the next few months so I would be inclined to wait just a bit. This spike in fuel costs will likely cause a lot of people to say "I don't really need a 3/4 ton diesel" who bought one when fuel was $2.00-$2.25/gallon. I may be wrong but that's my guess.

Also the tax would give me pause. Maybe check with an accountant to see if you get a rebate of what you already paid if you trade the truck within some "X" period of time? Be good to know and have anything like that included in the calcs.

This cross comparison is real. I got 19.1mpg in my 3500 CTD on 37's from Houston to Miami earlier this week and we were doing 70-80mph the entire way there. Loaded down with 7-8K worth of boat and gear on the return trip we only lost 4mpg at 65-70mph which brought our average to 17.1mpg over 2400 miles. A Hemi on 37's wouldn't see 15mpg at those speeds unloaded let alone with a load. That said, the cost difference in fuel is something to consider, we were paying as high as $5.35/gal for diesel in central Florida while regular unleaded was $4.29/gal. Diesel's cost more up front, more to maintain and service, etc. I agree that there will likely be a lot of HD trucks for sale on the used market this summer as prices are expected to continue to rise. I know I will be parking mine more often than I had planned because of it.

jagarcia89

Lol Diesel where I live would equal out to 60 cents more a gallon then Gas. So it would need to be a bit more then mild mpg savings
Its about 20 cents more where I'm at vs premium which is what i have to run in the TRX. Oddly enough, when I first moved to CA in October 2021, I was driving a 7.3L powerstroke ambulance and diesel was about 40 cents cheaper than gas.

Currently, unloaded in the TRX I get about 12hwy and 10 around town. The tax gives me pause too, but it checks out. Everything I can find and everyone I talk to says you pay tax on the full value of the car. Even if you get discounts/incentives on a new car- you still pay tax on MSRP in CA

100lbs for 2 bikes seems pretty heavy unless you're rocking e-bikes? 16.5 gallons between water and beer is a lot of heavy liquid. Whiskey is lighter :).

Maybe consider a ground tent instead of the ovrlnd camper? A 2 person tent can easily be <5 lbs. I think a GFC would save you about 100lbs vs the ovrlnd camper if you insist on sleeping off the ground.

Heaviest bike is my Specialized Levo SL. So yes an eBike but it weighs 40lbs. Still shopping for an eBike for the girlfriend, but considering I did not take into account helmets, packs, tools, or other associated gear. 50lbs is probably on the light side. Unfortunately, ground tent won't do it. I sold my last ambulance and van conversions against my girlfriends wishes. We did one night in our truck bed tent and she hated it. Gotta be off ground and in a bed. I looked at GFC but the design just doesn't work well with two people having to remove a bed section to get in and out. Most people just use a ladder. At that point may as well go RTT. Also, lack of front sliding window, wedge design, and lots of quality and leak issues made a GFC a non starter.

OP, I've got a 2019 Ram 2500 with Cummins. Love the truck. I also love the look of them with 40s and the AEV flares, and constantly debate doing that to mine, so I feel where you are coming from. Here is a few pieces of feedback.

First and foremost, if it's simply a capacity thing then perhaps you can look into airbags for when you're loaded up. Perhaps airlift or firestone have an option for the TRX. That would get you everything you need.

If it's most about having additional headroom, well the 2500 has a bit more, but if you are ever thinking of upgrading to a larger hard sided camper and are concerned about "legal payload" then you should be looking into a 3500 from the start. Said another way, you started with the TRX and find yourself needing more, do you expect to come to this again?

AEV trucks are sweet looking, but they are insanely overpriced for what you're getting. I'd use them as a bit of a parts bin, but stay away from their suspension and don't pay the unnecessary cost just to get a door sticker and a bull embroidered onto your headrest.

Diesel costs more up front, costs more in maintenance, and currently at least is about the same price as midgrade. I'm pretty sure that the 6.4 has 89 octane recommended, so your fuel costs are about the same right now, but you'll go about 2x the distance (similarly equipped vehicles) on a diesel over a gasser. Depending on how often you like to stop on long road trips and all that may dictate how important that is to you.

Also keep in mind that modern diesels require DEF, which is about $15 for 2.5 gal currently. It's another cost. Plus, you can't treat them like a grocery getter for 99% of their lives. You do need to get on the highway and put some miles on them. Different than what most people say, towing is not a requirement, but getting on the highway and getting things heated up for a little bit is important.

On the flip side, you're also getting a lot better trade in, although that Prospector XL is pretty unique and doesn't play to the same crowd I'm still thinking that the Cummins equipped trucks outsell the HEMI ones by prob 8:1.

If it were me, and you really wanted the diesel 2500 (I know I did) then I'd look at buying a "stock" one and modding it from there. You can do the AEV flares, or suspension or whatever down the road, you don't have to send it to AEV, and again as much as I like their parts I would absolutely not pay their markup.

For me, I'd say it's 80% payload issues, 10% mpg, and 10% practicality of having a camper shell on a truck meant for high speed baja runs. Unfortunately, there are currently not products on the market to assist with the rear weight. They are notoriously softly sprung so sagging is my worry. It's got the power to move the load but not the springs. Airbags won't work with the long travel and while I hope someone just makes a stiffer coil- there's nothing available yet.

I do think the route would be start with a stock 2500 and mod as needed, but with 100+ day order to delivery times- it runs close to the finish time of my Ovrlnd camper I have on order.

I completely agree with these statements. The aesthetic appeal and cool factor of the 40's is real, but they really don't equate to the added expense up front and on the fuel bill being worth the better looks IMHO. I'd look at buying new versus the last Gen truck which is not only a step back in tech and creature comforts (the LED headlights in particular) but you're also buying something someone else possibly mistreated in ways that might not show their head until a few years down the road leaving you to clean up the mess.

This cross comparison is real. I got 19.1mpg in my 3500 CTD on 37's from Houston to Miami earlier this week and we were doing 70-80mph the entire way there. Loaded down with 7-8K worth of boat and gear on the return trip we only lost 4mpg at 65-70mph which brought our average to 17.1mpg over 2400 miles. A Hemi on 37's wouldn't see 15mpg at those speeds unloaded let alone with a load. That said, the cost difference in fuel is something to consider, we were paying as high as $5.35/gal for diesel in central Florida while regular unleaded was $4.29/gal. Diesel's cost more up front, more to maintain and service, etc. I agree that there will likely be a lot of HD trucks for sale on the used market this summer as prices are expected to continue to rise. I know I will be parking mine more often than I had planned because of it.

If I go AEV I will go new. Drove one at a local dealer and they'd do 99K on it and give good trade allowance on the TRX. Unfortunately, the tax thing kills it for me. Spending $8k in taxes and fees when I just spent $6k+ 2 months ago hurts.

The fact there will be a lot of trucks on the market soon makes me think i should just sell the TRX and hope something come along in the next couple months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12