Looking for our first cruiser. Weigh in on our options!

ABCanuck

Adventurer
Hey everybody. I just stumbled onto ExPo recently and am loving it. Outside of sports, our lives growing up has been filled with fishing, hunting and exploring the outdoors, when we have time off on the ranch that is. We are reasonably remote, and therefore put on a decent amount of miles/kms a year. We have a 2013 RAV4 as my wife's DD and it has 80k on it now in two years.

We have two girls, 2 and 5 months and will likely have a couple more kids. The rav is too small, we have our trucks for the farm so are looking at options for a DD/backcountry vehicle. I'm very familiar with suburbans but always wanted a cruiser. Just need the third row of seats for sure. And a diesel for longevity/mileage.

So here are the options. We live in Alberta, Canada so importing a RHD is an option too.

1990's 80 series. JdM import or a diesel transplant. Found one transplant with 120k on drivetrain/170kms on body. Asking 15k. Thoughts?

1993-96 prado
Love the body style on these. Good mileage on the 3L and much better heads obviously than the earlier diesels.

Budget is sub 20k. But probably more like sub 15k as a suburban with 100-125k kms can be had for 10-12 thousand. Open to other suggestions, have at it!!

96r50

Observer
Hi there! Whereabouts in Alberta are you?

There are some nice JDM RHD diesels for sale in AB and BC. I wouldn't sweat the longevity of gas vs diesel in a Land Cruiser, they're all really reliable engines. I had a 1996 gas 80 series that I drove across the country and back with no issues and it's still going strong today with it's current owner.

If your looking at a lot of range road driving you might be better off looking at the 100 series Land Cruisers with the independent front suspension. The ride will be significantly smoother over the washboard and unmaintained gravel. I don't know much about the Prados but I think they're somewhat smaller than the Cruisers.

Also, both the 80 and 100 series LCs are available as the Lexus LX 450 and 470 respectively so don't limit your search just to Toyotas.

ABCanuck

Adventurer
Near oyen if you have any idea where that is. Not terribly worried about washboard as our roads have very very little. FIS would be nice in some ways but if we can battle the snow and mud better in an 80 I'm willing to trade that off.
Mileage is probably the biggest reason for a diesel. Plus, we can burn farm fuel in it :)
The LWB prados I believe are just as big. An example....

037535313ad52d5b5b32e064f4ce19c5.jpg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
He's in "southern AB" according to his sig. Prados are a smaller and lighter built Land Cruiser. I'm not 100% sure on 3rd row seating in them. They are offered with smaller engines too. Most are 4 cyl. The 80 or 100 series options are definetly more user friendly for hauling a family. If you are looking at JDM models, you should be able to get a diesel 100 or 105 imported for you. They will probably be near the top of your $20k budget though. I've owned a whole bunch of a Land Cruisers over my 30 years of driving, and my current 100 is by far the best I've had.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Two kids and a dog had us near maxed out in the 80. Three kids for sure pinched. Sold the 80 got a Sequoia perfect... Our gas 80 was a pig 13mpg the diesel would have been dramatically better, but still tight. More than 2 kids in the plan get the 4x4 minivan suburban or Sequoia or youll be selling again soon for a roomier ride.

3rd row vs kids seat in the 80 had my 3yr old daughter resting her feet on grandpas shoulders sitting in the 2nd row. Spacing for 3rd row use and jumbo car seats didnt work well. Sequoia spacing and 3 across 3rd row is dramatically better.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Figure packing for 1.5 people for every kid under 5yrs. The young ones travel with soo much more crap than a 5yr and up kid. Mine are 3 and 6 this yrs spring break was the first major road trip hotel stay where we fit everything in the trunk of the Subaru. Prior to that it was roof box trips to hotels. Camping was in the truck with 4x6 trailer. First attempt at a Subaru camping trip with two kids next week. Prior camping trips in the subaru was one kid, the two kid trips were in the truck.

ABCanuck

Adventurer
Perspective is a funny thing isn't it. We travelled often as kids (4 of us) with mom and dad on long road trips in a crew cab truck. It was a great time and as dad has said recently, a blessing for them as we travelled well as kids. Some kids just don't. Jury is still out but our first two are good. Car seats being so over the top size wise are definitely the kicker. Like you said, a three person bench is really a two person when car seats are in the mix. I think we are going to try and get into an 80 to see if the size will work for us.
If not, I'll bite the bullet on an older 'burban, I just find them so bloody boring.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The 80 you linked to has been for sale here for about a year. Something smells fishy with it. I'm in Vancouver so feel free to pm me if you want me to check one out for you (I've owned modded and wheeled 40, 60, 80 and 100s). You can find decent 100 series around here for $10-12,000.

ABCanuck

Adventurer
That would be great! Thanks for the offer. I wonder if people are just turned off by the conversion?

It is in Surrey though....bring heat :)

NCFJ

Adventurer
I am a proponent of the 80 series. I find that it is all around the best choice for our needs. I prefer the solid front axle over the IFS, that is a personal preference. OEM selectable lockers sweeten the deal. The game changer for me is the Vortec/4L65E swap with a 60 series split case. This power train has great support into the future and all parts are available at your local Auto parts store. The electronics are well known and easily modified by your local tuner guru or at home. You can do this under a $20K budget if you do the work yourself. If support for the split case fades in the future that can be resolved with an Atlas case and centered rear diff axle.

It really is amazing what doubling the HP and almost double the torque can do for your use of the 80. You now have a tow vehicle that will handle a 5K trailer with no problem. Although a little short in wheelbase for an optimal tow rig, you can tow a buggy or 40 on a trailer with a load stabilizer tow rig. You can merge into freeway traffic at 70 MPH. You can pass vehicles while on the climb side in the mountains. Figure 14-16 MPG average loaded. 16-17 DD highway. I am sure with adjusted driving style higher numbers can be achieved. These numbers may vary.

Food for thought.............................from a guy that does Vortec swaps for a living:) Check the information out

ABCanuck

Adventurer
Our vortecs have been so hit and miss on our trucks, I'd love to avoid them all together haha. I'm less concerned with power and more with reliability and mpg. I'd do a cummins swap before a vortec personally.

I mean no offence though! Thank you for sharing your thoughts. What's your guys experience with real world highway mpg on 100 series?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
That would be great! Thanks for the offer. I wonder if people are just turned off by the conversion?

It is in Surrey though....bring heat :)

I'm on the White Rock - South Surrey border. I have mucho "heat":campfire::ar15::campfire: Do let me know if you want me to look at it or any other LC in this area. I would say 14 mpg is pretty average in my 100 with 2.5" OME and 285/75 BFG ATs. It's not great, but might be a bit better than my '96 LX450 with the same lift and tire size. It is WAY nicer to drive though, and I actually like the look better now too.

ABCanuck

Adventurer
Redthies, if you ever had s chance to check out that cruiser in Surrey, that would be fantastic. Feel free to Pm if you run across another one even.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman