Looking for recommendations on a family hauler/tow rig/occasional camp vehicle

nsogiba

As the title suggests, I am looking for a new all-purpose vehicle. Currently I'm driving a 2016 X5 which works very well as a family hauler for my two young kids and also pulls my E92 M3 on an open trailer to various track events. We are looking at buying a travel trailer to go camping with and my concern is that it's just going to be too much for the X5 to handle over long distances. Estimating the travel trailer will be close to 6000lbs not including family, gear, etc.

Must haves:

$15K or less

4WD/AWD, auto trans

Towing capacity of at least 8000lbs, ideally more

SUV body/3rd row seats - ideally big enough rear cargo area to fit a sheet of plywood

No pickups since I want to car camp a lot. I live in Buffalo so for a good portion of the year the bed is filled with snow, slush, rain, or wet leaves.

Bulletproof reliability and parts availability

So far I really am liking the 01-06 GMT800 Suburban/Yukon XL 2500s. No known weak points, very familiar with the LS (I've owned a bunch of them and swapped them into multiple non GM platforms), 4L80E is great. Would have to fly and drive one back from a non rust belt state.

GMT900s are nice too but I hear not so great things about build quality compared to the 800s, and the 6L80Es are a known weak point, not to mention issues with AFM/DOD.

Any others I'm missing?

PFA:
2003_chevrolet_suburban-2500_mg_6140-48909.jpg

Kingsize24

Sounds like a great start to a rig build to me. And I agree, I much prefer the GMT800 over the 900. Probably the best GM vehicle years IMO.

Excursion would also be on my short list with a better frame and solid front axle, but you will trade some reliability in the gasoline engine department. But still a very good platform.

UglyViking

Agree with @Kingsize24, the GMT900s are nice looking vehicles, but the build quality took a serious dive and as it was the early years of the AFM stuff they are far more prone to issue. You can replace the lifters with solid conversions and tune it off, but it's additional cost and work, especially if you're not doing it yourself.

You should be able to find a decent (although 150-200k mile) 7.3 diesel excursion or possibly a 6.0L diesel. The 7.3 is a pretty solid engine overall with a few supporting mods, and the 6.0Ls biggest issue was the EGR cooler clogging and a few other minor things which can be "bulletproofed".

All things being equal, I have a personal preference for diesel due to MPG, longevity, and torque, but it will require a bit more tinkering to get the base built. Very possible but you have to know and plan for that going in.

Jacobm

GMT800 is a great platform, and either the 6.0 or the 8.1 is a good engine. MPG is about the same, 8.1 has more power but the 6.0 is likely more durable and easier to work on/modify to your needs. I was going to put an LSA supercharger on mine, but had to move to a 2500HD pickup for work. It has the 8.1 which I'm liking so far. For towing, look into an upgraded hitch. The factory hitch has been known the bend the frame when loaded to capacity. The aftermarket ClassV hitches bridge the hole in the frame and are much stiffer.

GMT900s did not have DOD/AFM in the 2500s as far as I know. The 6 speed is probably less robust but a good cooler will help, and the 4L80 could really benefit from another gear on the highway - I think either will suit you fine.

hansu

I mean...I don't want to get pegged as an Express van shill but the 3500 extended has the 6.0L w/ no AFM and a 13k tow capacity and 6spd. Remove 2 rows of seats out of the passenger and you can reconfigure the rear however you like. The GM open diff sucks hugely but some of them can take a LSD upgrade. They kinda need suspension and brake upgrades as a TV. I think they are the best piece-at-a-time multi-purpose vehicles out there right now.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I mean...I don't want to get pegged as an Express van shill but the 3500 extended has the 6.0L w/ no AFM and a 13k tow capacity and 6spd. Remove 2 rows of seats out of the passenger and you can reconfigure the rear however you like. The GM open diff sucks hugely but some of them can take a LSD upgrade. They kinda need suspension and brake upgrades as a TV. I think they are the best piece-at-a-time multi-purpose vehicles out there right now.
And there are sooooo many 4wd ones out there…

1stDeuce

Explorer
GMT900s are nice too but I hear not so great things about build quality compared to the 800s, and the 6L80Es are a known weak point, not to mention issues with AFM/DOD.

For the tow capacity you want, you have to have a 3/4 ton which means no AFM and a 6.0L on the GMT900. I think the 6L90E that comes with the 2500 'burb is a solid trans, and geared much better than the 4L80E... But you need an '09+ to get the six speed...

I'm a big fan of the GMT800 trucks in general, particularly the '03-07 GMC's but that's because I don't like the avalanche nose that the Chevy rucks got. Chevy suv's retained the more GMC-looking nose that I like. If I was to get a 'burb to tow with, I'd hold out for an 8.1L GMT400, and I'd probably look for one with Quadrasteer just because it's awesome! The 8.1L has grunt that the 6.0L is completely lacking. Mileage is not awesome, but it's a 3/4 ton 'burb... Mileage is not awesome with the 6.0L either...

A Quigly van would be cool, but they're pretty hard to find one and they're expensive with all the #vanlife idiots out there...

Last edited:

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Not sure it hits your price point, but an Expedition Max checks all the other boxes and with the 3.5 Ecoboost it will spank every other mentioned option running empty or lightly loaded. Near 600 mile range, close to 20 mpg with a light foot, really nice ride, plenty of family creature comfort. Worth considering if your primary uses are family use and the towing isn’t every day.

The trade-offs I’ve seen since going to an Expedition Ecoboost from my F250 are a few different maintenance annoyances and the messiest oil changes on the face of the planet.

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
Nissan Armada based platform will do all of that as well, and is quite a bit more modern driving than something on the GMT800 platform.

My dad has an 02 2500HD with an 8.1; it's been meticulously maintained, but it's still starting to show it's age with more and more nickel and dime stuff popping up on it.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Price point is very low sub 10k your only option is the GM Suburban/ Yukon twins.

Of you had a budget that worked I’d say heavy tow 2019 or newer Expedition I run a 19. It’s been great definitely don’t even bother with anything less than full sized. Your kids grow fast, bikes get bigger/heavier, they bring friends etc. I wouldn’t do the max but we pack the the standard pretty full with 2 kids, dogs and gear. When the 6 bike vertical hitch rack isn’t enough we add the 4x6 trailer.

The max wouldn’t really change much for us other than making it far less maneuverable in tight places which I found to be surprisingly good at in the standard length which was important. Roof box and trailer negate the max extra length needs. If we had 3-4 kids max would be far more important.

1stDeuce

Explorer
There's a 2004 quadrasteer 'burb in Brighton CO on FBMP right now... 6.0L according to the VIN. (8th letter U instead of G) Couple more non-quadrasteer trucks. Fly and buy baby!!! :)

I'd not run away from a later GMT400 'burb with a 454 either. Some nice examples out there for cheaper, some really nice ones for a bit more... '96 is my favorite year, you get the Vortec 454 but no stupid fail prone speed sensitive steering. '97-99 trucks got variable boost steering that should probably be bypassed at this point. Drives stupid when it failsbut easy to fix...

Check Denver, Phoenix, and Albuquerque often until you find one, then work a deal and fly out to get it. Trucks in those areas are going to be completely rust free if they have spent their whole life there...

Last edited:

hansu

And there are sooooo many 4wd ones out there…

Can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not. In my experience 4WD Express vans are pretty rare. Seemingly getting more rare as fewer folks are doing 4WD conversions on the old style vans.

ThundahBeagle

Nissan Armada based platform will do all of that as well, and is quite a bit more modern driving than something on the GMT800 platform.

My dad has an 02 2500HD with an 8.1; it's been meticulously maintained, but it's still starting to show it's age with more and more nickel and dime stuff popping up on it.

Its TWENTY THREE years old...just nickel and dime? Sounds like your dad is winning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior