Looking for some DIY advice.

rnArmy

Adventurer
See if this website is helpful (they have teardrop plans and kits):

https://bigwoodycampers.com/

As to restroom facilities, mine's one of those folding toilet seats with the bag inside a dedicated tall shower tent (green one in the first picture). And by-the-way; the little trailer is built off a HF trailer frame. Frame has been reinforced, tongue extended, springs and axle were also swapped out, etc.

You also might find this free web magazine interesting if you're interested in teardrop trailers:

https://www.cooltears.com/?message_id=35db89e8-3245-4781-ad41-a1566092ed94

Attachments

• camping.2.jpg
    camping.2.jpg
    443.9 KB · Views: 22
  • drive.13.1.jpg
    drive.13.1.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Eric_

See if this website is helpful (they have teardrop plans and kits):

https://bigwoodycampers.com/

As to restroom facilities, mine's one of those folding toilet seats with the bag inside a dedicated tall shower tent (green one in the first picture). And by-the-way; the little trailer is built off a HF trailer frame. Frame has been reinforced, tongue extended, springs and axle were also swapped out, etc.

You also might find this free web magazine interesting if you're interested in teardrop trailers:

https://www.cooltears.com/?message_id=35db89e8-3245-4781-ad41-a1566092ed94

The more I think about it, the more I want a little trailer like that. Although I’d still want a teardrop, that little trailer you have looks awesome! What kind of tent do you have above it?

I found these build plans for something similar, for a HF frame https://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-118.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ITTOG

Nope, my wife and I welded that chassis. That trailer was a wedding gift for her son. Welding isn't a mystery.

pdRIym2.jpg

Go to a bar. Make friends with a guy that looks like a welder. Culture that friendship. Dump him if he doesn't weld. (Don't you have a weird uncle that welds?)

T

Looks like just your wife built it. Looks like she is a keeper.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
The more I think about it, the more I want a little trailer like that. Although I’d still want a teardrop, that little trailer you have looks awesome! What kind of tent do you have above it?

I found these build plans for something similar, for a HF frame https://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-118.html

Thank-you. It has been a fun little project.

Here's a build thread for my little trailer (it was an evolutionary process - they are never truly "done" as you're always tweaking them):

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27...ype-trailer-ultimate-build-up-thread-1180456/

I've got thousands of miles on the little trailer - it has held up well. If you can read through the whole thread, you should have all the info you need to build a HF based lil' adventure trailer (as I sometimes call it). It has even run the Dempster Highway (didn't have the tent-cot on it at the time - they were inside the Jeep).

1539495381092.png

The tent is actually a double sized tent-cot from Cabela's that I mounted on top of the trailer after our last Northern Canada adventure, and had a custom cover made. Picture below doesn't show the rain fly. And I removed the outer set of legs when I mounted it on the trailer's lid. I can prop the trailer lid open with the tent opened-up.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cab...zVb6dlkg0VEil1zJYpkaAsPYEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

1539494816797.png

This tent-cot only weighs about 50 lbs, where a "real" RTT comes in at a little over 100 lbs. The ceiling height is kinda low, but for just sleeping in it works fine. The trailer pulls fine behind my little four-cylinder TJ, but my wife would be more willing to go on adventures if I had a teardrop. But to pull a teardrop, I'd probably need to take my truck. Fully loaded and "wet" (cooler full, gas and water in jugs, etc.) this one comes in at about 1250 lbs.

Last edited:

Jmanscotch

is wandering
I was in a similar situation and thus we built an off-road trailer with a RTT. Long story short, it wasn’t quite the answer we’d hoped it’d be. We’re now building an enclosed trailer that more closely resembles a teardrop setup.

A couple reasons to contemplate: a tent is just a tent, whether roof top or not and that has its negatives, so don’t forget that when awing their cool factor.

Weather, sound, security, etc still count. Add to that, now you’re climbing a cold aluminum ladder to get into said tent. Wife had few glasses of wine before bed? She may not like unzipping, finding a cold ladder that’s a little awkward to descend (especially at night, in the cold and under the influence of adult beverage sleeping) and traversing out to the remote potty.

Quick side note, we use a foldable potty with biodegradable bags. Ours is pretty short and thus our method is to dig a hole, let bag drape into hole, poke hole in bottom of bag. #1 drains into soil, #2 can be covered with dirt from spoils pile left from digging initial hole. Should someone find the need to refresh bags, no big deal.

Back to the main story. She just didn’t enjoy the RTT life, too many discomforts to make her enjoy something she already wasn’t thrilled about, which sounds familiar to your situation. Switching to the more traditional teardrop styled, insulated, hard-sided trailer has been a great switch for us.

As far as budget and starting point goes, I like the suggestion of the ole boat/jet ski trailer idea. I contemplated those when beginning. They’d be a great economical frame to begin with. Same price as the HF frame yet better built and better specs. Only issue tends to be no title, some work to make it a square/leveled platform to build off, but if you’re into building it, those are minor hurtles. TNTTT is a good forum for the more budget friendly and DIY type teardrops, definitely stop by there, you’ll get great ideas that will help you possibly hit that sub $2,000 goal. Don’t be afraid to get creative, recycle parts and I bet you can get it done for what you want...it will be tight, but I think it’s doable if you know how to plan and work.

Let us know what route you go!

Jake

Eric_

I was in a similar situation and thus we built an off-road trailer with a RTT. Long story short, it wasn’t quite the answer we’d hoped it’d be. We’re now building an enclosed trailer that more closely resembles a teardrop setup.

A couple reasons to contemplate: a tent is just a tent, whether roof top or not and that has its negatives, so don’t forget that when awing their cool factor.

Weather, sound, security, etc still count. Add to that, now you’re climbing a cold aluminum ladder to get into said tent. Wife had few glasses of wine before bed? She may not like unzipping, finding a cold ladder that’s a little awkward to descend (especially at night, in the cold and under the influence of adult beverage sleeping) and traversing out to the remote potty.

Quick side note, we use a foldable potty with biodegradable bags. Ours is pretty short and thus our method is to dig a hole, let bag drape into hole, poke hole in bottom of bag. #1 drains into soil, #2 can be covered with dirt from spoils pile left from digging initial hole. Should someone find the need to refresh bags, no big deal.

Back to the main story. She just didn’t enjoy the RTT life, too many discomforts to make her enjoy something she already wasn’t thrilled about, which sounds familiar to your situation. Switching to the more traditional teardrop styled, insulated, hard-sided trailer has been a great switch for us.

As far as budget and starting point goes, I like the suggestion of the ole boat/jet ski trailer idea. I contemplated those when beginning. They’d be a great economical frame to begin with. Same price as the HF frame yet better built and better specs. Only issue tends to be no title, some work to make it a square/leveled platform to build off, but if you’re into building it, those are minor hurtles. TNTTT is a good forum for the more budget friendly and DIY type teardrops, definitely stop by there, you’ll get great ideas that will help you possibly hit that sub $2,000 goal. Don’t be afraid to get creative, recycle parts and I bet you can get it done for what you want...it will be tight, but I think it’s doable if you know how to plan and work.

Let us know what route you go!

Jake

You pretty much hit the nail on the head with your response. Based on your experience, my wife wouldn’t care for a RTT. I think she would really enjoy a more traditional, teardrop style trailer.

I got on TNTTT and it’s a crazy cool little website! I never knew such a think existed. So many people with so much advice, builds, and pictures dedicated to trailers!

I think I might push my budget but extend the time. It’ll be easier over a period of time vs spending a lot of money in a short amount of time.

s.e.charles

… TNTTT and it’s a crazy cool little website! I never knew such a think existed. So many people with so much advice, …. /QUOTE]

just use a little caution. some of those folks are covering flush doors with roof tar and calling that "highway safe".

Jmanscotch

is wandering
You pretty much hit the nail on the head with your response. Based on your experience, my wife wouldn’t care for a RTT. I think she would really enjoy a more traditional, teardrop style trailer.

I got on TNTTT and it’s a crazy cool little website! I never knew such a think existed. So many people with so much advice, builds, and pictures dedicated to trailers!

I think I might push my budget but extend the time. It’ll be easier over a period of time vs spending a lot of money in a short amount of time.

The teardrop setup really does just do the job better in every way. You have the same, if not more, storage, it's more comfortable, similar weight, same basic footprint, better amenities, better in all weather situations, etc etc etc

When it comes to cost, a teardrop can be incredible more expensive but they can also be just a little more expensive (takes lots of $50-100 items when building a TD to even break even with the $1,000+ cost of a RTT!). Taking your time and planning it all will definitely help you save money over getting it done fast. Less mistakes, changed minds and plenty of time to shop for a deal.

A good tip is to get it bare bones usable and take it out several times, and take it out during different stages of progress. This will be very helpful in deciding on which direction to go with some finishing touches/design elements and prevent redoing things (ask me how I know!).

Here's our first trailer vs our second now, she and I both, couldn't be happier that we made the switch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78