Looking for some friendly advise.

KUpchu9702

ADV Gypsy
Hi all, I have been lurking on this forum from time to time, so forgive me if this particular set of questions has been hashed over before. I have been involved more with adventure motorcycles for the last 30 years and am now looking to get involved with Overland and off-road 4x4 travel. At 64 riding around on a heavy adventure bike is still pleasurable, but I feel that it is getting more difficult with every passing year. Diminishing strength, etc that comes with age and all. It's hell getting older! Not ready to give up on the adventure though. I have pretty much decided on getting either a Toyota series 100 or a Nissan Xterra. I am leaning more towards the Toyota, more for space and comfort, than anything else.

I see the production run for the 100 series ran from 1998 to 2007. My question here is whether there are any particular set of years within this production runtime that are better than others? If so why? Such as fewer issues with earlier years due to them having fewer things that can go wrong with them. I do not intend to do extreme rock crawling but want to have a more than capable setup. So in the case of the Toyota 100 series is it better to have a manual transmission or automatic? I know that many believe that a manual transmission is favored. From what I have seen the 100's in manual are pretty scarce with this series in the USA, at least that is what I am gleaning from my research. What are the thoughts surrounding this?

In Overlanding the belief is that the fewer modification's to OEM the better. So the chance of parts availability in foreign countries is increased. However, I am sure that some modifications are considered necessary in order to actually improve reliability and it's off-road prowess. Any ideas surrounding this issue will be of interest.

I appreciate any input you have and am sorry again if I have posted this in the wrong area of the forum. I hope to become a more involved member and look forward to following the other threads and posts. Thanks :safari-rig:

mires

Adventurer
Welcome. You definitely posted in the right section to ask questions about the Landcruiser. The 100 series wasn't offered in the states with a manual transmission so that makes that decision easy for you :sombrero:

In general, for reliability's sake, it's best to not get too carried away with mods. The best thing you can do is get a good, proven set of tires, some under body protection (skid plates) and just get out there and explore. This will determine what is needed and what is not.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
2006 and 2007 are the best years for the 100 series. 5spd auto trans and a little more power out of the engine vs previous years.

Find as low mile as you can is my suggestion. A 2.5" lift, some 33" rubber, a front bumper and a winch and a set of sliders. That is what I would start with, get out and play in it and if you want more you can add more, such as; ARB lockers in the diffs, a rear bumper and more overland gear like a fridge, roof rack and perhaps drawers.

Cheers

Hi all,

I believe the first two or three years of the US market UZJ100 had the option of the factory electric locking differential in the rear axle.

You of course can add a locking a locking diff to the rearend of a later 100 Series, but expect it to cost upwards to $2K for parts and labor.

Happy shopping!

Alan

collk22

Observer
The Slee guide is a very good resource. Check out the 100-series forum at ih8mud for more info on the 100 series; it's a better technical resource than this forum IMHO. Good luck and happy shopping.

RDC76

Adventurer
2006 and 2007 are the best years for the 100 series. 5spd auto trans and a little more power out of the engine vs previous years.

Find as low mile as you can is my suggestion. A 2.5" lift, some 33" rubber, a front bumper and a winch and a set of sliders. That is what I would start with, get out and play in it and if you want more you can add more, such as; ARB lockers in the diffs, a rear bumper and more overland gear like a fridge, roof rack and perhaps drawers.

Cheers

This is pretty much what you want I would say as well. the 100 is also more reliable as I have a friend with an 2014 xterra and has suffered numerous driveline breaks on the trails.

best
Rich

6btEX

Observer
Hi all,

I believe the first two or three years of the US market UZJ100 had the option of the factory electric locking differential in the rear axle.

You of course can add a locking a locking diff to the rearend of a later 100 Series, but expect it to cost upwards to $2K for parts and labor.

Happy shopping!

Alan

The 100's were offered the first couple years with a rear limited slip differential. They were dropped because the newer ones had traction control that was much better.
The LSD differentials wore out quickly and were less effective.
A newer one that had VVT(variable valve timing) also would be preferable, as it added more power.

XJINTX

Explorer
Wonder what response you would get if you make same post in the Nissan part of our forum??? I'm just saying you might want to get both sides ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears