bearman512

Adventurer
Here is my niner in Colorado.
OCDpJSEu9VleuryTlleqgIjOF3FD07cn8MqPy9QhShPG=w1402-h935-no

And with the RTT.
Oasis%2BState%2BPark%2B037.JPG

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I had an '04 WJ Overland. It was an awesome vehicle, and I loved it! The quadratrac is awesome in the snow, and slippery rain.
That said, the WJ is not without issues.
While the Overland was supposed to come with the "Up Country" suspension package, most got deleted when ordered through the dealers by accident.
So you will need to check very carefully if you really want it.
I would spend some time on the Jeep Forum WJ section. A lot of very good information there.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/

In the end I sold the WJ, and bought a '14 JKUR-X for the added off road capabilities. The only thing I miss from the WJ is the quiet ride, and the color.

larrydallas

Interior dimensions on the WJ aren't gonna fit you either. 68" with the seats down. You can make the rear seat bottoms removable and that might get you another 5 to 6 inches max. There are write-ups on that on jeepforum.com. If you don't lift or just have 1" bigger UC springs from the factory then you will probably stick with 29" tires, maybe 30". That's fine but to me it will limit your trial choices more than whether or not you have lockers. As far as the Dana 44a, it isn't ideal, but if you aren't rock crawling I wouldn't be too concerned. Personally I wouldn't go replacing axles and diffs if I wasn't lifting it and planning more extreme trails. It would be cheaper to truss and gusset the 44a than replace it if you are worried about busting it open.

Basically it sounds like if you want to sleep in the back Jeep doesn't seem to offer anything that would work for you in the platforms discussed (WJ, XJ, or ZJ). Have you considered an old Wagoneer? Kidding. Given everything discussed, if you can sleep in the back of a LC FJ80, or even better find an FZJ80 with more power and factory lockers, and you are set. If you want a relatively stock ride height WJ and can forgo sleeping in it I would just go for the Quadradrive and be done with it. The only time I've gotten stuck was due to clearance. It is a very capable system.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
You can see my two Jeeps below, I sold the black one in January and plan on selling the tan one before winter hits. While I had a lot of fun with them I will likely never own another uni-body off road vehicle, not to mention they lack the space for more than 2 adults plus dogs and their gear. I did a lot of research last year before I decided to buy a 98 full size Montero, it's hands down a better rig in all aspect except power. It has an amazing interior with heated leather seats that still work perfectly 16 years later, factory rear air locker locking up a 9.5 inch rear end(think slightly smaller than a Ford diesel truck rear end), room for 7, no lift needed to run 33 inch tires, and rides smooth as butter. It doesn't have the articulation(think axle/wheel travel) the Jeeps have but when I'm done with it will be no problem taking it just about anywhere I want. The WJ is slightly better than the ZJ platform but still a bit weak in stock form for a long term overlanding platform. If you stick with the WJ and find one with a v8 make sure the service records are all up to date, it seems to be the most problematic engine used by Chrysler in the last 20 years, google "WJ v8 engine problems" to learn more. Unless you tow with it you don't need the v8 anyway, the 4.0 is plenty and will run forever. Don't believe the posts about the 44a, I ran that axle hard for 5 years in my black 96 once I had it re-geared and new seals after grabbing it from the junkyard, not once did I have an issue. I could go on but all of the info you seek is already on the web, a 20-25 year old ZJ/WJ chassis is well documented on many forums with the available upgrades and reliability already researched.

Although I will miss having a "point and shoot" rig that will go anywhere it's time to move on.

Attachments

• 100_0346 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    100_0346 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    237.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1054.jpg
    IMG_1054.jpg
    533.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1212.jpg
    IMG_1212.jpg
    576.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
You can see my two Jeeps below, I sold the black one in January and plan on selling the tan one before winter hits. While I had a lot of fun with them I will likely never own another uni-body off road vehicle, not to mention they lack the space for more than 2 adults plus dogs and their gear. I did a lot of research last year before I decided to buy a 98 full size Montero, it's hands down a better rig in all aspect except power. It has an amazing interior with heated leather seats that still work perfectly 16 years later, factory rear air locker locking up a 9.5 inch rear end(think slightly smaller than a Ford diesel truck rear end), room for 7, no lift needed to run 33 inch tires, and rides smooth as butter. It doesn't have the articulation(think axle/wheel travel) the Jeeps have but when I'm done with it will be no problem taking it just about anywhere I want. The WJ is slightly better than the ZJ platform but still a bit weak in stock form for a long term overlanding platform. If you stick with the WJ and find one with a v8 make sure the service records are all up to date, it seems to be the most problematic engine used by Chrysler in the last 20 years, google "WJ v8 engine problems" to learn more. Unless you tow with it you don't need the v8 anyway, the 4.0 is plenty and will run forever. Don't believe the posts about the 44a, I ran that axle hard for 5 years in my black 96 once I had it re-geared and new seals after grabbing it from the junkyard, not once did I have an issue. I could go on but all of the info you seek is already on the web, a 20-25 year old ZJ/WJ chassis is well documented on many forums with the available upgrades and reliability already researched.

Although I will miss having a "point and shoot" rig that will go anywhere it's time to move on.

Nice Jeeps. Im not looking for anything that extreme. I just want out the box some tires and a winch. A lift is not necessary to me. I realize lifts are needed for bigger tires. Its a fine line. Just on styling I want a fj60. Then the downfalls of that come in. The best fit would be an fzj80. Then the downfalls of that come in. The best compromise would be a Jeep WJ. The other options are an XJ,TJ,100,4runner but then you bring up something I've never really even paid attention too. The Montero. The specs on paper seem quite appealing. Can you give like the "one" I want to find in terms of the off road oriented with the locker as you said? Im interested in the best overall for my use. This is a simple camping off road winter truck. Not a cross country thing. A TJ with a trailer is starting to enter my thoughts more. Remove the passenger seat and the rear seat build a platform and tow a 900 pound trailer. Any quick info on the Montero is cool. I do search a lot before I ask this stuff. I am trying to get more expo type builds then rock crawlers or mud bogglers with 14" lift and all that. I appreciate all the feedback.

bearman512

Adventurer
OK I have to throw this out there.
All of these vehicles are great choices! BUT I was once told years ago that you take a stock vehicle and throw lockers front and rear and it will go fewer places than a mildly lifted stocker.
WHY you ask "ARTICULATION" on any trail if you can keep all 4 tires in solid contact with the ground there is no traction loss and the vehicle will continue to move. The second you lift a tire you stop moving as all the power is transferred to the tire in the air. A locker or LS limited slip in one or the other axle prevents this but if you have to add it to your to do list then a lift is by far easier and cheaper.
I say find a good WJ do a 4" lift add some 33x10.50's or 285-70's and get you a skid plate by Turbo City http://www.turbocity.com/product_info.php?cPath=17_33&products_id=130 just a little insurance for that 7" protruding rock that WILL crack that aluminum case like a nut. I have seen many ZJ's and WJ's stranded on easy mountain trails that did not think that rock would hurt it.
I installed the 8.8 for the reason of easy maintenance and cheap parts as the 8.8 is widely used in Ford's as well as there was no aftermarket lockers and limited slips for the 44A. Just make sure you get a 33 spline not the 27 spline that is in almost every late model Mustang.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Nice Jeeps. Im not looking for anything that extreme. I just want out the box some tires and a winch. A lift is not necessary to me. I realize lifts are needed for bigger tires. Its a fine line. Just on styling I want a fj60. Then the downfalls of that come in. The best fit would be an fzj80. Then the downfalls of that come in. The best compromise would be a Jeep WJ. The other options are an XJ,TJ,100,4runner but then you bring up something I've never really even paid attention too. The Montero. The specs on paper seem quite appealing. Can you give like the "one" I want to find in terms of the off road oriented with the locker as you said? Im interested in the best overall for my use. This is a simple camping off road winter truck. Not a cross country thing. A TJ with a trailer is starting to enter my thoughts more. Remove the passenger seat and the rear seat build a platform and tow a 900 pound trailer. Any quick info on the Montero is cool. I do search a lot before I ask this stuff. I am trying to get more expo type builds then rock crawlers or mud bogglers with 14" lift and all that. I appreciate all the feedback.

Here are a few pictures of our Montero with 33x9.50 tires and ARB bumper, also a picture with the seats folded flat to use as a bed. Hope I'm not adding more confusion to your search.

Attachments

• WP_001552.jpg
    WP_001552.jpg
    500.8 KB · Views: 3
  • WP_001553.jpg
    WP_001553.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 1
  • WP_001554.jpg
    WP_001554.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 1
  • WP_001628.jpg
    WP_001628.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 2
  • WP_001627.jpg
    WP_001627.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 1

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
OK I have to throw this out there.
All of these vehicles are great choices! BUT I was once told years ago that you take a stock vehicle and throw lockers front and rear and it will go fewer places than a mildly lifted stocker.
WHY you ask "ARTICULATION" on any trail if you can keep all 4 tires in solid contact with the ground there is no traction loss and the vehicle will continue to move. The second you lift a tire you stop moving as all the power is transferred to the tire in the air. A locker or LS limited slip in one or the other axle prevents this but if you have to add it to your to do list then a lift is by far easier and cheaper.
I say find a good WJ do a 4" lift add some 33x10.50's or 285-70's and get you a skid plate by Turbo City http://www.turbocity.com/product_info.php?cPath=17_33&products_id=130 just a little insurance for that 7" protruding rock that WILL crack that aluminum case like a nut. I have seen many ZJ's and WJ's stranded on easy mountain trails that did not think that rock would hurt it.
I installed the 8.8 for the reason of easy maintenance and cheap parts as the 8.8 is widely used in Ford's as well as there was no aftermarket lockers and limited slips for the 44A. Just make sure you get a 33 spline not the 27 spline that is in almost every late model Mustang.

You are either very new to Jeeps or just don't read much about them. There is both the factory LSD for the 44a, as well as the Aussie and Lokka Lockers available for it that work amazingly well. And turbocity sells mostly cheap junk, Iron Rock off road is where I would take my business.

RoTorKev

I'm 6'2" and I have an XJ. I love it! I have never tried sleeping in the back though. I have seen guys build some nice set ups for sleeping in their XJ's on cherokeeforum and NAXJA. If you do decide to go XJ I would definitely recommend trying to find a nice stock 97-99 that has been used to commute and get groceries in, and lift it yourself. Not only do you have to worry about whether someone else did the mods correctly; lifted jeeps have most likely been wheeled and abused already, which can lead to many other problems if they haven’t been well maintained. The Chrysler 8.25 is pretty common on later models, and aftermarket support is great.
Hope this helps.

Jake79

I've had an XJ and 2 WJ's and am about 6'2" as well but never tried to sleep in either. For me the WJ's where a lot more comfortable to drive, but the XJ was doable. The v8 was nice to as I tow an atv. This is the first I've herd of arb making a locker for the 44a, and it would surprise me as it is a 10 year old axle with very limited applications. However for what you are describing for intended use I think you would be very happy with the quadradrive. Have you thought about a limited with up country and quadradrive? You can get everything on a limited that you can on the overland except th HO v8, which is not quite as reliable imo due to valve spring issues. Winter driving hands down the WJ. I would vote WJ. That said I think the XJ is the more reliable, a simpler platform, and better suited for a more extreme build. Just some rambling thoughts:ylsmoke:

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
I think Bearman means at the time he built his Jeep you couldn't get ARB type lockers for the 44a. You can now in the past fe years. A lot of WJ guys had already built their rigs by the time those things cam rout. I know they had Aussie lockers but were expensive.

Yes, Bearman that is what its narrowed down to. That type of setup on a WJ. For every 5 WJ there is 10 TJ or XJ though. I guess if Im buying a grocery getter the WJ will most likely have been used that way. I found some fully built ZJ like you suggested and a few have the 242 swap. Im going to look at one that has been at 13000 ft in the Rockies with 4 people and gear so its been there done that. I even found a bad *** 5.9 ZJ thats lifted. And I believe your theory about all 4 wheels is what Jeep had in mind on the QD. They dont have clearance but they have traction. Then the Overland adds a tad more clearance and you satisfy both those basic principals.

Montero, no you are not adding confusion you are adding knowledge. To be honest I thought a Montero was a Montero sport like a pathfinder or passport type vehicle. Never even realized they had a mini gwagen! Now that is room. Did some googling and reading. Why are these cars 1500? Are they heaps of dirt I mean 1500 is like junk focus prices. These things are either a huge sleeper underknown vehicle or junk. Im thinking public ignorance. Mitsubishi builds high quality things in all other businesses. I see that not a lot of support probably not a huge demand based on the used market. I saw that thing Dolomiti picked up so I looked around expecting 10 grand or something and those things are 2 grand all day in clean shape. Not a turbo diesel but the 6. I found a 96 SR and 98 Gen2.5 with some mods they are under 5 grand which is in my budget. Im definitely going to drive one.

Rotor- Thanks for real feedback in similar experiences. Yes I'm either finding 6.5 lifted crazy XJ or ones that are definitely mall crawlers for the daughter. I found a rust free mint 114k babied garaged for 4k. Then for 4k there are some insane builds. Good info.

Jake- Yes ARb in the last year or two started making the top of the line ARB locker for the 44a. Its 1050, before shipping and air. So you are saying stay away from the HO? In that case I can buy a Jeep today because I've found tons of Limited v8 QD. Tons of V8 Laredo selec trac. Only 3 buyable Overland. I have found a couple limited with the HO and cloth too. I think it was some 04 sport? It had QT2 though. If I get one its either QD and swap in the 242hd. Or a v8 laredo with the 242 stock and then ARB with on board air. Then I can get cloth seats and not all that electric jazz. Im not looking for extreme. Im looking for simple but effective.

Right now my hardest thing is not buying this TJ with a 350 and nv5 and full ARB lockers and air. Along with a Warn 9xdi with synthetic. He's asking the same as jeeps with the 4.0. Must control impulse!

Last edited:

bearman512

Adventurer
jeep-N-Montero remarks like the one below are not necessary.

"You are either very new to Jeeps or just don't read much about them. There is both the factory LSD for the 44a, as well as the Aussie and Lokka Lockers available for it that work amazingly well."

Let me make it very CLEAR when I started my build there was NOTHING available. I purchased my niner in 08 and at that time there where NO Aussie's available YET and I wanted something that would not crack when I accidentally get hung up on a large protruding rock "it happens". Some came with a limited slip some did not mine did not so I had to make a decision open up the 44a and add another carrier for the LS or swap to a much stronger and cheaper 33 spline 8.8 that came with disc brakes so I spent $188 bucks on a truss that was available already for TJ's.
$200 plus $188 was a bunch cheaper than cracking open the 44a and purchase all the rebuild bearings, LS carrier, and have a weak link. Even the manufacturer warns against lifting ZJ's by the cent housing of the 44a.
I also installed a HP 30 out of a 98 XJ and needed to do a gear change to 4.11 for both so you should understand my reasoning.
All that said the skid plate was just a recommendation because after you purchase a full truss and the rest of the rebuild stuff why not go with the 8.8!

Bye the way IR does not make a 44a truss!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
jeep-N-Montero remarks like the one below are not necessary.

"You are either very new to Jeeps or just don't read much about them. There is both the factory LSD for the 44a, as well as the Aussie and Lokka Lockers available for it that work amazingly well."

Let me make it very CLEAR when I started my build there was NOTHING available. I purchased my niner in 08 and at that time there where NO Aussie's available YET and I wanted something that would not crack when I accidentally get hung up on a large protruding rock "it happens". Some came with a limited slip some did not mine did not so I had to make a decision open up the 44a and add another carrier for the LS or swap to a much stronger and cheaper 33 spline 8.8 that came with disc brakes so I spent $188 bucks on a truss that was available already for TJ's.
$200 plus $188 was a bunch cheaper than cracking open the 44a and purchase all the rebuild bearings, LS carrier, and have a weak link. Even the manufacturer warns against lifting ZJ's by the cent housing of the 44a.
I also installed a HP 30 out of a 98 XJ and needed to do a gear change to 4.11 for both so you should understand my reasoning.
All that said the skid plate was just a recommendation because after you purchase a full truss and the rest of the rebuild stuff why not go with the 8.8!

Bye the way IR does not make a 44a truss!

Aussie did indeed make a 44a locker in 2008, been making them since around 2002-2003. And nobody ever said IRO made a truss, we were referring to skid plates. The only shop that made a commercially available truss for the 44a is no longer in business, it was a great product but they started robbing Peter to pay Paul and went downhill fast. I'm not here to argue with anyone, but when you have been doing this extensively since 1999 you tend to know a lot about it.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I think Bearman means at the time he built his Jeep you couldn't get ARB type lockers for the 44a. You can now in the past fe years. A lot of WJ guys had already built their rigs by the time those things cam rout. I know they had Aussie lockers but were expensive.

Yes, Bearman that is what its narrowed down to. That type of setup on a WJ. For every 5 WJ there is 10 TJ or XJ though. I guess if Im buying a grocery getter the WJ will most likely have been used that way. I found some fully built ZJ like you suggested and a few have the 242 swap. Im going to look at one that has been at 13000 ft in the Rockies with 4 people and gear so its been there done that. I even found a bad *** 5.9 ZJ thats lifted. And I believe your theory about all 4 wheels is what Jeep had in mind on the QD. They dont have clearance but they have traction. Then the Overland adds a tad more clearance and you satisfy both those basic principals.

Montero, no you are not adding confusion you are adding knowledge. To be honest I thought a Montero was a Montero sport like a pathfinder or passport type vehicle. Never even realized they had a mini gwagen! Now that is room. Did some googling and reading. Why are these cars 1500? Are they heaps of dirt I mean 1500 is like junk focus prices. These things are either a huge sleeper underknown vehicle or junk. Im thinking public ignorance. Mitsubishi builds high quality things in all other businesses. I see that not a lot of support probably not a huge demand based on the used market. I saw that thing Dolomiti picked up so I looked around expecting 10 grand or something and those things are 2 grand all day in clean shape. Not a turbo diesel but the 6. I found a 96 SR and 98 Gen2.5 with some mods they are under 5 grand which is in my budget. Im definitely going to drive one.

Rotor- Thanks for real feedback in similar experiences. Yes I'm either finding 6.5 lifted crazy XJ or ones that are definitely mall crawlers for the daughter. I found a rust free mint 114k babied garaged for 4k. Then for 4k there are some insane builds. Good info.

Jake- Yes ARb in the last year or two started making the top of the line ARB locker for the 44a. Its 1050, before shipping and air. So you are saying stay away from the HO? In that case I can buy a Jeep today because I've found tons of Limited v8 QD. Tons of V8 Laredo selec trac. Only 3 buyable Overland. I have found a couple limited with the HO and cloth too. I think it was some 04 sport? It had QT2 though. If I get one its either QD and swap in the 242hd. Or a v8 laredo with the 242 stock and then ARB with on board air. Then I can get cloth seats and not all that electric jazz. Im not looking for extreme. Im looking for simple but effective.

Right now my hardest thing is not buying this TJ with a 350 and nv5 and full ARB lockers and air. Along with a Warn 9xdi with synthetic. He's asking the same as jeeps with the 4.0. Must control impulse!

Sounds like you need to sit down with a pen and paper to see what your real needs are and buy accordingly. Unless you have built your own rig before and know how to fix things when they go wrong I wouldn't buy an older built rig from someone else no matter how reliable they claim it to be. As for the Montero, Mitsubishi did a crappy job of marketing them so they didn't sell well. They are better built than the 100 series LC but less than 1/3 of the cost used.

bainbridge-xj

I have a XJ and highly recommend it although in the interests of full disclosure, I bought it new in 1998 and have had zero experience with other SUVs as a result. I set mine up with an OME Lift, 31 inch tires and a rear ARB locker. It does have the Chrysler 8.25 rear axle which is plenty strong for what I do (I think they began using the 29 spline in '97). As far as overlanding goes, it works just fine. In terms of downsides, it has limited interior space (although perhaps not an issue for one person and a dog) and I really wouldn't consider sleeping in it. Also, the XJs tend to run hot which could be an issue depending on (a) how much gear you carry and (b) where you live/where you want to go. Hot environments and/or mountain passes make for some interesting times. I have a set of hood vents which help somewhat and this winter's project will be to upgrade the radiator. As I understand it, the 1997-1999 years are the most desirable because of the upgrades that were done in 1997 and because of some of the issues beginning in 2000. All in all, though, it is a very capable vehicle with lots of aftermarket support.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle