Looking for sources

tfletch

Hey guys, coming to you for your knowledge.
I have a '95 Montero LS with the 3.0, manual trans and I love it. Have had it for about five years now, managed all the basic maintenance etc. but it is bone stock and am looking to get into some mods.
The big question that I have is where are you sourcing equipment to regear? From my understanding, it looks like to get the "unicorn gearing" I would need part numbers MB241981 and MB598486 to achieve 5.29's. So does anyone have a good source to get these? Most internet queries result in a lot of seemingly Chinese reproductions.
And I should just ask, does anyone actually have these state-side that they would like to get rid of?

I also know that 4.9's can be harvested from some Sport models, but it gets really blurry for me, really fast. Is anyone able to point me in the right direction on those, with part numbers, and/or sources and/or which Sport model I should be on the lookout for at the local yard?

I would also like to do the Mark's crawler t-case regear through Adventure Driven Design, along with a bunch of other ADD goodies down the road.

Thanks guys! You guys are the best, excited to see this thing evolve a bit more, and become even more capable!!

plh

Explorer
Pretty sure I have a set of 9" rear & 8" front R&P 4.90's squirreled away that I will probably never use.

5.29 are going to be challenging to get here unless someone else imported them and never used or used and removed, as they didn't come stock in anything sold USDM. You can search the part numbers from Hyundai Mobis I think, but will need to be imported from somewhere. They are NLA from Mitsubishi.

Last edited:

ARDOR

I would grab the 4.9s from PLH, he's solid.

Otherwise they can be found on '00 and later Sports and the best way I've found for determining is looking up a specific truck's VIN # on partsouq.com and then verifying the ring and pinion gearing and part #s.

All V6 Sports should have a high pinion 8" front diff, the same as your '95 Gen 2; most of which should be CAD free too I believe, so manual Aisin hubs are a good idea.

In the rear, a 3.0 Sport will have a high pinion 9" rear end like your '95 Gen 2 so the third member pumpkin can just be swapped over while a 3.5 Sport will have high pinion 9.5" rear end; its pretty easy to swap the whole axle over, especially if you find one with a locker.

5.29 gears are all low pinion I believe, nearly impossible to find, and would likely need to be sourced from a foreign market Hyundai Galloper which is becoming harder as Hyundai/Mobis seems to be moving away from selling directly to consumers.

As for the Marks4WD transfer case gears, the 2.85s should fit your V5MT1 5MT, but order them directly from Australia and avoid ADD/Josh at all costs:

Last edited:

tfletch

Pretty sure I have a set of 9" rear & 8" front R&P 4.90's squirreled away that I will probably never use.

5.29 are going to be challenging to get here unless someone else imported them and never used or used and removed, as they didn't come stock in anything sold USDM. You can search the part numbers from Hyundai Mobis I think, but will need to be imported from somewhere. They are NLA from Mitsubishi.
PLH thanks for your reply! I would definitely be interested in some 4.9’s if you’re looking to let them go! I’m not in a hurry, but figured if I grab them and have them, that wouldn’t be the worse.
Lemme know what you have in mind!

Reactions: plh

plh

Explorer
PLH thanks for your reply! I would definitely be interested in some 4.9’s if you’re looking to let them go! I’m not in a hurry, but figured if I grab them and have them, that wouldn’t be the worse.
Lemme know what you have in mind!
I'll get out to my shop in the next couple weeks and take an inventory.

BarbaraBrown

I would grab the 4.9s from PLH, he's solid.

Otherwise they can be found on '00 and later Sports and the best way I've found for determining is looking up a specific truck's VIN # on partsouq.com and then verifying the ring and pinion gearing and part #s.

All V6 Sports should have a high pinion 8" front diff, the same as your '95 Gen 2; most of which should be CAD free too I believe, so manual Aisin hubs are a good idea.

In the rear, a 3.0 Sport will have a high pinion 9" rear end like your '95 Gen 2 so the third member pumpkin can just be swapped over while a 3.5 Sport will have high pinion 9.5" rear end; its pretty easy to swap the whole axle over, especially if you find one with a locker.

5.29 gears are all low pinion I believe, nearly impossible to find, and would likely need to be sourced from a foreign market Hyundai Galloper which is becoming harder as Hyundai/Mobis seems to be moving away from selling directly to consumers.

As for the Marks4WD transfer case gears, the 2.85s should fit your V5MT1 5MT, but order them directly from Australia and avoid ADD/Josh at all costs:

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. If you are a law student, then I know you are always busy doing your never-ending work and submitting the work on time. If you are also stuck in the situation with a law essay, then this https://ukwritings.com/law-essay-help ukwritings is always here for you. I also took help from them, and I was amazed after seeing the essays; they were to the point and easy to read. If you are also seeking help with a law essay, you can visit UKWritings.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Edit: My issue resolved.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior