Looking for suggestions for 270 awning. Bunduawn?

shade

Me too If I was to add a roof top tent I would add a second awning to make a vestibule for the tent. The driver side awning for me will be to add a cooking area under it. and that side of my truck has an opening window that would get in the way of any ladder. It seems like James Baroud makes quality stuff.
Part of their reasoning is probably a desire to get people into the JB system, which makes sense from their perspective. Not so good for people with other plans. In my case, if I wanted an add-on room with my fold-out RTT, I'd zip the annex onto the built-in vestibule of the tent. Any awning I bought would be on the opposite side of the truck, and I wouldn't want it mucked up with zippers.

markwiseguy

If it helps, the review we did was honest and from some pretty extreme use (not a driveway water test).
I've now had the hinge bend on my Howling Moon 270 twice. Fixed myself with parts sent by the company for nothing, again in extreme conditions... Would still recommend the awning, although its not perfect.

I share your curiousity! When I purchased my Alu Cab Shadow, I didn't look real close at the back or vehicle side of the wall kit and just assumed there was a back wall. Why else would there be screens in the windows??!! :unsure: I asked Rin at OK4WD why there were screens and he checked with Alu Cab. Their lame answer after several months waiting was, it helps keep the structure of the walls intact. ? Also, their reason for no back wall was that there are too many variables of rig doors & tailgates to provide generic access openings in the back wall. :rolleyes: Anyway, needless to say, there is very little pest protection provided by my Alu Cab wall kit with no back wall and it would be the same with any brand that doesn't provide a back wall, as many potential customers have noticed. The only 270* awning wall kit that I've seen with a back wall is the Foxwing. But it just doesn't compare for strength in the wind.

A simple back wall is all that's needed, too. Have it the screen mesh with a foot or two of canvas/rubberized nylon or something at the bottom for weight. Then get a .5" or 1"x 12" flexible magnet to "seal" the back screen wall to the vehicle (alas, not for aluminum-bodied trucks). A bumper-to-ground wall can be easily made at home out of an old tarp.

And there you have it.

WidgeonmanGH

Anyone ever look at these? I have never seen one in person but have been curious to see some real world reviews.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Photobug

Ended up doing this for a 3 day music fest. I still need to work out some of the details. The area over the roof was awesome, helping keep the shell cooler compared to no coverage.527554527555

shade

Ended up doing this for a 3 day music fest. I still need to work out some of the details. The area over the roof was awesome, helping keep the shell cooler compared to no coverage.View attachment 527554View attachment 527555
Nothing wrong with that, especially if you know the truck isn't moving for a few days. The air gap and really help. I can't tell for certain, but did you use a two-tone tarp, with the silver side up? I've wondered if that would make a noticeable difference.

I can't recall, but did you end up ordering an awning?
I'm closing in on the eight week wait for my Kinsmen awning, so I emailed them for an update.

Photobug

Nothing wrong with that, especially if you know the truck isn't moving for a few days. The air gap and really help. I can't tell for certain, but did you use a two-tone tarp, with the silver side up? I've wondered if that would make a noticeable difference.

I can't recall, but did you end up ordering an awning?

I have not ordered an awning because neither of the ones I am considering is in the US at this time.

My first choice is the Howling moon but I am considering the James Baroud also.

It was blue on one side and green on the other. I just ordered it by size, 12x16 as a test platform. I made the poles out of PVC. I had set it up once in the driveway and then set it up on Thursday to claim our spot in the venue campground. Staked it into place to keep it there while we went home for the night then put in the poles and set it up. The air gap was nice planning adding another tarp for the front of the truck and maybe one off the back.

Some of the issues were the afternoon thunderstorms loaded water into the tarp over the top. Until we figured it out, wind would blow the tarp and water would pour into the shell. I will be adding a better attachment system. and a way to create a ridge on the top of the rack to create a slope. I may just throw a sea kayak up on the roof to create the needed slope.

Photobug

One other thing I like about my homemade tarp is the ability to drop the poles. The top of the truck is near 8 feet tall and no need for that kind of height. I would consider buying a cheaper non-free-standing 270 that would allow a lowering of the pole height.

shade

One other thing I like about my homemade tarp is the ability to drop the poles. The top of the truck is near 8 feet tall and no need for that kind of height. I would consider buying a cheaper non-free-standing 270 that would allow a lowering of the pole height.
I know you've already looked at it, but the Rhino-Rack Batwing seems to offer a lot of what you want.

I'll see how things go with the Kinsmen, but one of the reasons I chose it was that I believe the strength of the structure will allow adding some shading or screen material to the perimeter, which should mitigate the smaller size of the awning footprint. No matter how big the footprint, the sun will often find a way past it.

Photobug

I know you've already looked at it, but the Rhino-Rack Batwing seems to offer a lot of what you want.

I think so also. I really like the idea of a 6 arm that extends forward and would allow a second room to install a head and for a changing room. We just did our first music fest and to say it was crowded would be an understatement, and the walk to the head was a long one. The next music festival is next month I will develop my DIY system till then and see how long set up takes. What was cool was the tarp's grommets lined up to fit my racks hooks perfectly, but I had a grommet kit so I can customize it.

What was really neat about this weekend it was a concert and overland convention combined. I got to see so much cool gear, although no cool awnings for me to inspect. More photos of the truck and event.527592527594

stevec

Adventurer
Anyone ever look at these? I have never seen one in person but have been curious to see some real world reviews.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I ordered the Wraptor 2000 from Overland Pros back in early June, along with the walls to make an enclosure. I'm having some issues with them currently, but I will let you know how it works out.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
The Kinsmen looks ideal with the exception of using hook & loop to attach future walls (instead of zippers).

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Why is that determined to be a Bad Thing?

When it gets dusty/dirty/wet etc., hook & loop isn't as effective. And its considerably slower to attach walls, etc., than a good zipper especially in the wind. I use hook & loop aka Velcro for many applications, I just wouldn't want it for this application. And, generally, bulkier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12