Looking for suggestions on a leveling kit for my '16 F-350

smlobx

Wanderer
I am slowly turning my truck into a more capable rig and want to raise the front to be level with the rear and gain a little more clearance. I will be installing Air Lift 5000 Ultimate bags in the rear to keep the rear at the unladened level when I have my Hallmark on.

Some people just use spacers (both plastic or metal). Others install new taller springs that would increase the front travel and others ???

I'm only looking for a 2-3" front lift. What do you have on your Super Duty??
Thanks!

FordGuy1

Adventurer
I'm only looking for a 2-3" front lift. What do you have on your Super Duty??
Thanks![/QUOTE]

Install the Icon kit with shocks, or install the Readylift upper spacer. We have done tons of both. If you go spacer, we have had zero issues with the Ready Lift. The key is the alignment when its done.

jkilgore11

Adventurer
I had the Icon 2.5" kit installed a few weeks ago. It rides great with the new progressive front springs and new shocks front and rear. Went with the Icon rear blocks. Excellent quality.

Betarocker

Adventurer
I'd suggest Icon 2.5" Lift springs, Fox 2.0 Shocks, and OUO ALAs. Complete the package with OUO traction bars.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Bilstein makes a leveling front spring and 5100 shock kit. Works great.

Don't settle for spacers on a truck as nice as yours. $47,000 truck, $55 spacers, forget that. LOLz. Spacers, small ones, are great for getting some ride height back after adding a heavy winch bumper. But to level a very unlevel truck, it's too much preload.

Also get some Daystar spring cups for those rear airbags. That way you don't have to worry about bags stretching while offroad or on a lift. Get the Carli adjustable tracbar and 2 degree caster bushings to fix your alighnment properly.

Last edited:

smlobx

Wanderer
Thanks for all the replies...

At this point I am leaning towards going with taller springs instead of a spacer. I would think that the increased travel would definitely be valuable. I have to make sure that the spring is at least as heavy duty as OEM as I don't want to loose any capacity.

How big a deal is the allingnment? I will definitely get one but I want to be sure it can be done without any drama...

Betarocker

Adventurer
i agree that using springs is better than spacers.

One thing you want to address when raising the front is to adjust the caster back to at least OEM, but that is still too low. +5 degrees is where it works best. Too low and "death wobble" becomes a concern, even with all new front end components.
You can use shims to reset the caster, but the easiest (though most expensive) is by using adjustable radius arms. One Up Offroad offers a fantastic product which has been attempted to be copied, but so as not to infringe on patents the copies lack some key design elements and there don't perform as well.

The other thing is you will want to recenter the axle by installing an adjustable trackbar. Icon and Carli offer good product for this.

A set of properly dampened shocks will improve the ride a hundredfold over stock, and you will need to address the change in length requirement. I would suggest Fox over Icon for cost, and either of those over Bilstein because of the materials resist weathering better.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
If you're going to go that far though, fancy shocks and all, just get one of the 2" complete Carli kits. Carli is top of the line stuff.

Pretty sure the rear add a leaf, that does the same job as a block, but with less wrap, leaves the factory springs in the factory locations, so regular airbag kits over the springs will still mount up fine.

You can do the alighnment mostly yourself before even taking it to the shop. Track bar just centers the axle left/right. Caster shim bushing things just go under the ball joint on the axle, no adjustment, just pop them in. If using adjustable trailing arms, just set each side the same, err towards extra caster. Might need to adjust steering a little to get the wheel straight, maybe let the dealers master tech do that, but it's easy as well while it's in the alighnment rack.

Ford Superduty alighnments are about the easiest to do in the entire industry. Especially a rust free new truck. But you'll need a master tech, not a tire shop guy. Goodyear shops ain't going to have the skill level a Ford dealer will. At least in my area they lack the skill to deal with anything aftermarket.

Last edited:

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Its actually too much caster that's causes death wobble. The factory puts as much caster in as possible to make the steering feel light, but when every thing loosens up you can get the "death wobble". We normally lower it down between 2.5 and 3.5. Most of the newer super-duty's are OK compared to the older years.

smlobx

Wanderer
Well I was all set to order the Carli lift but after talking to another Overlander who also has a F-350 he suggested that I verify that the springs have the same rating (capacity) as what I have as I don't want to reduce my gvwr.

Carli was pretty squirmy about providing me any technical information on the capacity of their springs and after several emails admitted that their springs are thinner and softer than OEM. While this might be ok for an empty truck driving in the desert I will have have about 2500#'s additional weight with my camper loaded.

So I contacted Bilstein and they confirmed that their spring kit would maintain my front axle rating and not affect my gvwr. I have had quite a bit of experience with Bilstein and have used them from everything from my Ranger pick up to my Porsche race car and have been very happy with them. So I placed the order for the springs along with the 5100 series shocks and they should be arriving tomorrow.

I don't know if I'll have time before I go camping over the 18-19 but I'll take before and after pics and give my impressions....

Last edited:

SteelSaguaro

I have been following this post closely, I have a '15 F350 I am wanting to level as well. Can you provide the info on what you actually ordered?

I too have no interest in lessening the capability of my truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998