Looking for upgrade from Gen 3 Montero to something with third row AC

Tango Zulu

I have a 2004 Montero Limited with an old emu lift kit. The vehicle has been somewhat reliable and functional but my wife absolutely refuses to drive it. The NVH levels are simply too high in almost any situation expect glass smooth road surface and going at the most 70 mph. At higher speeds wind noise becomes a problem and road imperfections at any speed are felt in the cabin in the form of low frequency noises and rattles. The only reason I am still driving the car is because of the rear AC evaporator, or said differently, the third row or third zone climate control. Our dog is absolutely miserable in the Florida heat and having that rear AC evaporator with ceiling air vents blowing into the cargo area is the only way for her to stay in relative comfort on longer trips. As mentioned however, due to the Mitsu’s high NVH levels I am looking to upgrade.

The only 4x4 SUVs with rear AC evaporators in the U.S. I know of are the 3rd gen Montis and 100 and 200 series LC’s and Lexus equivalents, I think the LR3 with the third row seat option also has AC vents blowing into the cargo compartment but I don’t believe it has an individual AC evaporator for the rear like the Montero and the LC’s do. At the moment I am leaning toward a 100 or 200 series but wanted to check here first to see if anyone has other suggestions and some more info on the LR3’s rear AC functionality. I don’t prioritize reliability nor off road prowess although a vehicle with low gear is certainly preferred. Priorities are driver comfort and as mentioned 3rd row AC with individual climate control for the rear cargo area is an absolute must.

Any suggestions outside of the 100 or 200 series and the LR3?

plh

Explorer
Curious on what tires you are running on your '04, and how many miles on them. I can't offer up any suggestions on 3rd row air, probably not common on any vehicle any more due to cost downs of optional equipment.

Smileyshaun

Observer
1st gen sequoia, the third row is actually usable by a human with legs . With a few light upgrades it a capable vehicle and rides butter smooth on and off road .

plh

Explorer
Falken something wilderness or wild peak 265/75/16
160K miles
Yeah, I had the first generation Wild Peaks on my old '05 for 30K miles, they had to go due to NVH. BFG KO2 A/T were much quieter I ran 2 sets each to 50K. It is amazing because the take-off Wild Peaks found a home on one of my Gen 2's for a couple years are were silent on that truck. There is still life in the tires and are hanging out in my garage for a 3rd repurpose. The monocoque Gen 3 chassis is very particular to tires & NVH. Plus the OME lift is stiffer than ********. I found the bilstein shocks helped a lot, but still pretty stiff.

Tango Zulu

Yeah, I had the first generation Wild Peaks on my old '05 for 30K miles, they had to go due to NVH. BFG KO2 A/T were much quieter I ran 2 sets each to 50K. It is amazing because the take-off Wild Peaks found a home on one of my Gen 2's for a couple years are were silent on that truck. There is still life in the tires and are hanging out in my garage for a 3rd repurpose. The monocoque Gen 3 chassis is very particular to tires & NVH. Plus the OME lift is stiffer than ********. I found the bilstein shocks helped a lot, but still pretty stiff.
I may try Bils at some point if I keep the Montero. I do agree the monroes in the OME kit are probably valved with too much low speed compression.

1st gen sequoia, the third row is actually usable by a human with legs . With a few light upgrades it a capable vehicle and rides butter smooth on and off road .

I will look into them. Dont really care about third row seat legroom since only the dog will ride back there. The real need are AC vents blowing into the cargo area together with individual climate control for her.

Attachments

• thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Tango Zulu

Ok it does look like the 1st gen Sequoia has vents blowing into the cargo area. The captains chairs are a problem though. Need to have the dog stay in the rear. Let me see if there was an option for a bench second row and what the 2nd gens look like. Now low gear is not great but oh wel..

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 5

drabina

1st gen Sequoia I owned had a second A/C unit in the back to provide more cooling for the third row seats. It also came with a bench seat (not captains chairs) in the second row so there was a divider to keep the dog in the back. It was the 2003 SR5 model. I think second row captains chairs was an option but not all came with them.

Smileyshaun

Observer
I may try Bils at some point if I keep the Montero. I do agree the monroes in the OME kit are probably valved with too much low speed compression.

I will look into them. Dont really care about third row seat legroom since only the dog will ride back there. The real need are AC vents blowing into the cargo area together with individual climate control for her.
IMG_7627.jpegAnd in my honest opinion, they don’t look so bad once a lifted. But I would definitely put Tahoe and suburbans on that list too but if you need to go Suburban go straight to a three-quarter ton the extra beef in the axles brakes are well worth the little bit rougher ride

drabina

Something to consider: I am not sure if this applies to all Suburbans and Tahoes but they have torsion keys vs springs so while you can lift the car, it is a bit more complicated in my opinion. Cranking the torsion keys lifts a car a bit but produces a harsher ride. Replacement torsion keys are better but still, lifting my son's 2004 Chevy and my 2003 Sequoia was a totally different experience. Sequoia was easy with new shocks and springs (adjustable Bilsteins). Chevy was pain in the neck to even get the old keys off the torsion bars. We had to cut them out and even with the new torsion keys and shocks the ride in the Chevy is bouncy and harsh compared to the Sequoia. There are conversion mounts to replace torsion keys/bars with springs but at least for the 2004 model, they don't mount securely enough and I read reviews that after a while they will wear out and need to be replaced. Again, your mileage my vary but that's my experience owning both.

XJLI

Adventurer
My LR4 gets ice cold, even all the way in the third row. My dog hangs out there as well.

Tango Zulu

View attachment 827583And in my honest opinion, they don’t look so bad once a lifted. But I would definitely put Tahoe and suburbans on that list too but if you need to go Suburban go straight to a three-quarter ton the extra beef in the axles brakes are well worth the little bit rougher ride

Something to consider: I am not sure if this applies to all Suburbans and Tahoes but they have torsion keys vs springs so while you can lift the car, it is a bit more complicated in my opinion. Cranking the torsion keys lifts a car a bit but produces a harsher ride. Replacement torsion keys are better but still, lifting my son's 2004 Chevy and my 2003 Sequoia was a totally different experience. Sequoia was easy with new shocks and springs (adjustable Bilsteins). Chevy was pain in the neck to even get the old keys off the torsion bars. We had to cut them out and even with the new torsion keys and shocks the ride in the Chevy is bouncy and harsh compared to the Sequoia. There are conversion mounts to replace torsion keys/bars with springs but at least for the 2004 model, they don't mount securely enough and I read reviews that after a while they will wear out and need to be replaced. Again, your mileage my vary but that's my experience owning both.

Does the 2nd gen Sequoia have a rear AC unit as well? I like the 1st gen but I like the 2nd gen even better and lifted they look absolutely massive.

My LR4 gets ice cold, even all the way in the third row. My dog hangs out there as well.

Does your LR4 have the third row seat option? Can you control the climate for the third row or do you simply open or close the louvers?

XJLI

Adventurer
Does your LR4 have the third row seat option? Can you control the climate for the third row or do you simply open or close the louvers?

7 seats and 3 zone climate control. Front driver, front passenger, 2nd and 3rd row. IIRC 2nd and 3rd row is controlled by the front passenger temp when the rear is set to "auto", but you can change it to either "off" or "rear control." The control is in the 2nd row in the dome light thing, there are three knobs, you can change the from blend from ceiling to floor vents, temp, and fan speed. There are ceiling vents in the 2nd row, and vents in the C pillar for the third row, floor vents in 2nd and third row, and vents in the center console facing the 2nd row (which operate off of the front row climate with open/close control).

Any LR3 or LR4 with the seven seat option has 3 zone climate control.

F2.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger