looks like a tire "fix" but... the pricing is abusive.

zimm

Expedition Leader
I think for the size of the truck, approach, departure and rollover would benefit from a couple inches. These and the typical 1" spacer for a Gwagon would ad some versatility, not really affect the drive, and as a bonus maybe help the "little tire" look of the 31.5's.

I wonder what manufacturer requested these oddballs, that they should be making them. The price is sorta bespoke.

Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 08-54-00 BFGoodrich All-Terrain T_A KO2.png

toddz69

Explorer
Wow - the price has gone crazy on those since the last time I priced them (like maybe $100+/tire). I don't think any manufacturer ever requested them. I looked into them a few years ago and decided to not go with them because they're load range D (I wanted C) and in true BFG fashion, they aren't anywhere close to the 34" dia as advertised.

Todd Z.

zimm

Expedition Leader
Wow - the price has gone crazy on those since the last time I priced them (like maybe $100+/tire). I don't think any manufacturer ever requested them. I looked into them a few years ago and decided to not go with them because they're load range D (I wanted C) and in true BFG fashion, they aren't anywhere close to the 34" dia as advertised.

Todd Z.
It's minus .5 for almost all BFG's for some reason. They are still about 2" taller than stock Grenadier tires. What I noticed was the cross section. I really haven't seen much about where the interference lies with larger tires in this rig, but getting into a "34" class tire without dealing with a 12.5" cross section is a bonus I would have to believe. This tire seems to be Alone in this oddball near tall/skinny configuration.

toddz69

Explorer
It's minus .5 for almost all BFG's for some reason. They are still about 2" taller than stock Grenadier tires. What I noticed was the cross section. I really haven't seen much about where the interference lies with larger tires in this rig, but getting into a "34" class tire without dealing with a 12.5" cross section is a bonus I would have to believe. This tire seems to be Alone in this oddball near tall/skinny configuration.
As I recall, I had several friends with them measure them (might also be noted here on ExPo somewhere) and they weren't even 33" in loaded height, which was very disappointing to me.

I'm a tall/skinny tire fan myself - I had a 35/10.50/17 Kenda Klever tire a few years ago to try for fitment. People seem to really like those and I think I only paid ~$160'ish? for the one I had for awhile. I'm sure they've gone up a lot since then.

Todd Z.

DezRoamer

Most likely tires will be the first modification I'll do to my truck. I'm narrowing the field in manufacturer, but I think I'm going with Goodyear's new DuraTrac RT. 255/80/17 (a tad over 33" @$327 ea.)
I seriously considered and wanted to put on the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT in a 255/85/17 (34.5x10 @ $360 ea) but a local dealer here in Colorado said he had replace several on other customers trucks due to balance/vibration issues.
At the price point of tires anymore it's not easy to swallow spending $2k on 5 new tires !

grizzlypath

Most likely tires will be the first modification I'll do to my truck. I'm narrowing the field in manufacturer, but I think I'm going with Goodyear's new DuraTrac RT. 255/80/17 (a tad over 33" @$327 ea.)
I seriously considered and wanted to put on the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT in a 255/85/17 (34.5x10 @ $360 ea) but a local dealer here in Colorado said he had replace several on other customers trucks due to balance/vibration issues.
At the price point of tires anymore it's not easy to swallow spending $2k on 5 new tires !

I've been really happy with my current Duratracs, I'd be interested in the new Duratrac RT as well. That pricing on the KO2 is insane.

nastav

Adventurer
No issues at all with my 255/85r17 Mickey Thompsons on my heavy Sprinter.
I have over 10,000 miles and they have worn well, etc.
I personally know at least 3 people running these on their Sprinters and they all have positive feedback.
Tim at Adrenaline Vans in Monstrose did my mount and balance

Attachments

• IMG_4258.jpeg
    IMG_4258.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 22

86scotty

Cynic
I personally know at least 3 people running these on their Sprinters and they all have positive feedback.

Which tire specifically? Size and model name if you don't mind. Can't tell anything from the pic.
Thanks

nickw

Adventurer
Any more pics of your rig? What Gross Weight are you driving around at? Those are really neat tires.....

DezRoamer

Which tire specifically? Size and model name if you don't mind. Can't tell anything from the pic.
Thanks
I think the balancing issue is with larger MT Baja Boss. I asked the dealer what size of tire was difficult to balance, his reply was 35"-37".
I imagine a smaller diameter tire would be much easier.

nastav

Adventurer
Any more pics of your rig? What Gross Weight are you driving around at? Those are really neat tires.....
It’s a heavy van like all the vans.
I have never felt the need to weigh it.
photo on right is 255/85r17 on the ends and the white van has nitto 285/75r17

Attachments

• IMG_4258.jpeg
    IMG_4258.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4261.jpeg
    IMG_4261.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 14
  • DO01000191.jpeg
    DO01000191.jpeg