Looks like EV sales are actually on the rise

We aren’t blowing anything out of proportion- merely stating facts across the industry, then you come back and blow things out of proportion.
I was referring to vehicle use cases vs average vehicle owners. Most 4WD vehicles never leave the pavement, even fewer leave pavement carrying a small house with them and stay out for weeks.

3laine

Interesting article from the Polestar CEO noting that the 5 year depreciation of an EV is 49%. Admittedly a car is about the worst investment with the average ICE vehicle depreciating 40% in 5 years.

Is that 49% pre- or post-tax credit? Because a ~$50k Polestar 2 losing an immediate ~$7500 in resale (because the effective price is $42,500) would be 15% right off the bat.

I don't know the methodology for the 49% vs 40%, but the tax credit definitely throws a wrench in some of the calculations on this topic.

Yeah, you’d think Hertz would have known that going in.

Hertz's biggest screw-up was buying a ton of Teslas when they didn't have the $7500 tax credit, and then selling them when new Teslas DO get the $7500 tax credit. That's a HUGE hit right there, not to mention the normal hit that people took buying basically ANY car in 2021/22 (peak pricing) and selling it in 2024 (far lower).

Personally, I sold my Tesla 2-3 years ago partly because it was looking likely that the new tax credit was going to pass that would reinstate the $7500 tax credit for Tesla and crush resale. Someone buying a giant fleet of vehicles should have considered that, as well.

plh

Explorer
I was at the Phoenix airport over the extended weekend for vacation and pickup a Hertz rental. A. - I really hate Hertz - customer service is horrendous - at least at Sky Harbor . B. I didn't get they type of vehicle I reserved due to unavailability. C. had to really search through the pool of available vehicles to not get an EV. D. found out I really liked driving the Malibu that I begrudgingly grabbed - large enough for our party of people and not EV.

LRNAD90

Adventurer
Hertz's biggest screw-up was buying a ton of Teslas when they didn't have the $7500 tax credit, and then selling them when new Teslas DO get the $7500 tax credit. That's a HUGE hit right there, not to mention the normal hit that people took buying basically ANY car in 2021/22 (peak pricing) and selling it in 2024 (far lower).

Well that, and, you know, having your customers arrested for vehicle theft :rolleyes:

ThundahBeagle

The Bolt was selling pretty good, so they killed it. The big “3” don’t want to sell affordable EVs in the US, even though they do in other markets. They also know they don’t have to yet, politicians are cheap. Big picture, their recalcitrance is bad for US manufacturing and we’ll fall further behind.

As to Ford, e-Transit sales are doing pretty good. Electrification of the commercial sector would have been a better place to start but disruption didn’t come to that sector first.
Chevy reports the Bolt will return with thier newer battery technology next year

ThundahBeagle

Ah, Toyota never jumped on this stupid bandwagon, they have been publicly vocal that they don't support the EV push, and don't feel it is the best way to accomplish reduced emissions and viable vehicles.

The EV push has been driven by Government Mandates, not by Logic, Research, or Reality. Go Figure..
Co-RECT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998