Love the Smittybuilt Scout trailer for my RTT, but I don't go off-road. What are my options?

jconway2002

I know this is an overlanding forum, but I don't know where else to look for stuff like this. Id like to get a trailer for my RTT, but I don't need it to have off-road capabilities. Id love to buy myself the Smittybuilt Scout, but I am wondering if I could save some money if I bought or made something without the off-road capabilities. Anything out there for someone like me?

ttengineer

Adventurer
I’d just buy the smitty trailer and put road tires on it. It’s not built for off road any way. Cheap ass Chinese crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mudraider

Adventurer
I’d just buy the smitty trailer and put road tires on it. It’s not built for off road any way. Cheap ass Chinese crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Personal experiences with it? Please tell!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Smileyshaun

Observer
Go down to your local hardware store and pick up a trailer that's already assembled run it by a local fabricator that could put a couple of uprights on it that way you have a very useful trailer for daily life and something your tent can go on. Or even just find a local trailer builder . they could probably do it all right there. You're going to pay quite a bit of Mark up for it being an" off-road " trailer

mudraider

Adventurer
No fab skills, and just basic mechanic and house tools. I believe i saw some companies that have no weld kits available though?
If'n I were in your shoes, I'd be scouring Craigslist and the Facebook Marketplace for trailers. Once you have that base, you can make up the uprights to bolt on. Once you get it all bolted together, any competent welding shop can take and weld up what you have already bolted together. So, a drill, and a hacksaw, and you can start piecing it together. While you are looking for a trailer, look for a stick welder. I got a Miller Thunderbolt for $50. YouTube and some scrap metal, heck you may be able to weld it up yourself.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
What is the tow vehicle?

And overlanding is really just fancy car camping, so I wouldn't be too worried about something designed for "overlanding." You certainly don't need an Adventure Trailer or the like, but the SmittyBuilt would probably be a good option for you.

jconway2002

If'n I were in your shoes, I'd be scouring Craigslist and the Facebook Marketplace for trailers. Once you have that base, you can make up the uprights to bolt on. Once you get it all bolted together, any competent welding shop can take and weld up what you have already bolted together. So, a drill, and a hacksaw, and you can start piecing it together. While you are looking for a trailer, look for a stick welder. I got a Miller Thunderbolt for $50. YouTube and some scrap metal, heck you may be able to weld it up yourself.

Sounds like a fun project. I going to start looking around.

Louisd75

Adventurer
I know this is an overlanding forum, but I don't know where else to look for stuff like this. Id like to get a trailer for my RTT, but I don't need it to have off-road capabilities. Id love to buy myself the Smittybuilt Scout, but I am wondering if I could save some money if I bought or made something without the off-road capabilities. Anything out there for someone like me?

Check out https://tventuring.com

Lots of ideas for RTT trailers, many built around the Dinoot trailer body kit and a Harbor Freight trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger