Low Swiss Crime Rates

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
and keep the politics out of it unless directly related to overland travel.

I agree with Dave 100% This O.P. is a very informative post that was well presented and enjoyable in the "Sportsman Forum; (fishing, hunting and GUNS) For ALL hunting, fishing and gun carry topics.

Why would you come into it Lance and threaten to close it down when there are numerous other posts on this board that do speak of non overland travel related topics?

Hey Lance, you better Mod the Home page; there's a post about thoughts on Obama's Peace Prize speech. Where does that fit into Overland Travel?

This is as bad as the "No spelling California with a K" or me posting a link to my e-bay ad for my HJ45 and Pasquale stating that it needed a price or it would be deleted. Funny that I have not seen any other e-bay link ad modded for the price reason? Before or since...

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I had the privilege of going to Zurich Switzerland when I was just 19 years old.

A month across Europe was cool!

I talked my Dad into renting mopeds, so we could head out and go exploring.

We traveled all around the hills surrounding Zurich.

Then we came upon a guy walking down the road in military garb, with a rifle over his shoulder!

I thought......what a cool place this Switzerland is! We should be like this at home!

Everything else in this thread that is unrelated or pumping muscles......saddens me!

Last edited by a moderator:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Bigdaddy is siding with the Doc on this one fella's.

Rattle your sabres somewhere else.
This section was set up to talk about fishing, hunting and guns...as related to the outdoors and overland (as in vehicle) use. As in duck hunting with a nice breakdown shotgun.
The original post was completely and totally political in nature as it was meant to contrast the Swiss with other countries.
It was not a story about traveling throuh and noticing lots of guns...and then the reason why.

This is a private forum. There are no rights. Thise of us who are mods have been ask to be so as volunteers and we are tired of chasing these kinds of threads once they get ugly.

My post was meant to alert everyone that the topic was already hot, had been noted by another mod and I was willing to let everyone know to keep it civil and ease off the USA vs Switzerland.

If you have a problem with they way things are moderated I am sorry but either follow along and play nice or tell Mr. Brady. But until we as mod's are told otherwise no religious or political threads.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
There's your answer.

I'm pretty pro-gun even by US standards but a lot of Americans are not responsible enough to handle french fries, much less credit cards, mortgages, prescription meds and handguns. The Swiss will look more responsible when measured any possible way except possibly for tolerance to immigration, where it is a tie.

SO EXACTLY what does this post from Lowenbrau have to do with overlanding by singling out Americans with off-topic insults? See where I added bold red emphasis. What does his post have to do with "hunting, fishing and GUN CARRY topics"?? Personally, I flagged that post for Moderator action as it should be deleted outright.

Moderator hat on...
This thread needs to start speaking to the Swiss traveling through world, driving through their country or some other overland related aspect because it is getting political and will be deleted.

These threads just don't seem to stay nice for long so I am putting the warning out now.

Oh and I own guns and love'em but that has nothing to do with overlanding either :)

From the title of this forum area, anything about "....great story of international travel, food/beverage and cultural interaction" would be OFF-TOPIC unless it had included fishing, hunting or gun carry topics. :ar15::REOutArchery02::gunt::pROFSheriffHL:

S

Scenic WonderRunner

This section was set up to talk about fishing, hunting and guns...as related to the outdoors and overland (as in vehicle) use. As in duck hunting with a nice breakdown shotgun.
The original post was completely and totally political in nature as it was meant to contrast the Swiss with other countries.
It was not a story about traveling throuh and noticing lots of guns...and then the reason why.

This is a private forum. There are no rights. Thise of us who are mods have been ask to be so as volunteers and we are tired of chasing these kinds of threads once they get ugly.

My post was meant to alert everyone that the topic was already hot, had been noted by another mod and I was willing to let everyone know to keep it civil and ease off the USA vs Switzerland.

If you have a problem with they way things are moderated I am sorry but either follow along and play nice or tell Mr. Brady. But until we as mod's are told otherwise no religious or political threads.

Spell Check....is a good thing! Please see the above post.

"This is a private forum. There are no rights".....

ExPo....Scary!

Last edited by a moderator:

Desolation

Adventurer
This place is hilarious!
In no other place I frequent are there so many tempests in tea cups, regardless of geography.

Thread pertinent I like shooting, punching paper is relaxing.
EP pertinent I would like it almost anywhere in the world on a clear range.
:coffee:

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
This is the kind of thread that causes problems for all the mods and members alike.
Goodtimes is correct; this is Scott's forum, his business, his home. The mods attempt to keep it on track for him, since one person cannot possibly do it alone.
While an individual certainly has every right to his/her own opinions, they do NOT have a right to come into someone's home or place of business, or forum, and demand to have a soapbox for their personal views, particularly if those views stir up dissent.
The vast majority of people on this forum seem to favor gun rights, as do I. And in my own office I often talk with patients about political and gun issues, both pro and con. But that's MY place. No one has a right to come into my place and start ranting about animal rights, yada yada, yada, nor leave religious leaflets in my waiting room.
The OP is political, plain and simple. It is not about guns, what they are, how to use them, their place in the outdoors. It is a straightforward post about gun rights, and gun control, a political topic, and bound to spiral out of control, based on the last 4 years experience here on ExPo.
Having said that I expect someone to get a massive wedgie and claim it ain't so, and the mods are being heavy-handed, it's not fair, I have my rights, this place is so PC now, etc., etc., ad nauseum.
Well, folks it wouldn't seem that way if the behavior of a number of royal pains in the derriere hadn't created massive headaches and conflict over the last few years. If people can remain civil, keep the conversations civil, and treat one another with respect (which is not now nor has it ever been "PC." I believe it's called courtesy), then topics will remain.
Lance's post was simply a reminder of that...

"We have met the enemy and he is us..." ~Pogo, ca 1953

safari%20copy.gif

PhulesAU

Explorer
Darwinism and people's ability to limit crime themselves would eventually do away with those who aren't responsible enough to handle french fries.

We, too, would be just as civilized as the Swiss once the hotheads and dimwits extinguish themselves. There's no crime in that, now is there?

I like this thinking. BUT we would have to remove the stupid peoples "right" to sue someone else, for injuries or death cuased by thier own actions.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
This is the kind of thread that causes problems for all the mods and members alike.
Goodtimes is correct; this is Scott's forum, his business, his home. The mods attempt to keep it on track for him, since one person cannot possibly do it alone.
While an individual certainly has every right to his/her own opinions, they do NOT have a right to come into someone's home or place of business, or forum, and demand to have a soapbox for their personal views, particularly if those views stir up dissent.
The vast majority of people on this forum seem to favor gun rights, as do I. And in my own office I often talk with patients about political and gun issues, both pro and con. But that's MY place. No one has a right to come into my place and start ranting about animal rights, yada yada, yada, nor leave religious leaflets in my waiting room.
The OP is political, plain and simple. It is not about guns, what they are, how to use them, their place in the outdoors. It is a straightforward post about gun rights, and gun control, a political topic, and bound to spiral out of control, based on the last 4 years experience here on ExPo.
Having said that I expect someone to get a massive wedgie and claim it ain't so, and the mods are being heavy-handed, it's not fair, I have my rights, this place is so PC now, etc., etc., ad nauseum.
Well, folks it wouldn't seem that way if the behavior of a number of royal pains in the derriere hadn't created massive headaches and conflict over the last few years. If people can remain civil, keep the conversations civil, and treat one another with respect (which is not now nor has it ever been "PC." I believe it's called courtesy), then topics will remain.
Lance's post was simply a reminder of that...

"We have met the enemy and he is us..." ~Pogo, ca 1953

safari%20copy.gif

Massive Wedgie Alert!!

Massive Wedgie Alert!!

:violent-smiley-031::xxrotflma:exclaim::jumping:

lowenbrau

Explorer
SO EXACTLY what does this post from Lowenbrau have to do with overlanding by singling out Americans with off-topic insults? See where I added bold red emphasis. What does his post have to do with "hunting, fishing and GUN CARRY topics"?? Personally, I flagged that post for Moderator action as it should be deleted outright.

From the title of this forum area, anything about "....great story of international travel, food/beverage and cultural interaction" would be OFF-TOPIC unless it had included fishing, hunting or gun carry topics. :ar15::REOutArchery02::gunt::pROFSheriffHL:

I guess the point I was trying to make was that comparing Switzerland's crime statistics to America's (as the original post does) especially as it pertains to gun ownership is pretty hard to do since the Swiss appear generally a more responsible society. (or perhaps more responsible individuals) and that observation includes more than gun crime but also heath, education, finance, culture.

The reason I think it is a relative topic on this site is because of the fact that I, as a mostly responsible gun using overlander and sportsman, am constantly threatened by the notion of gun control. I think the freedom to use guns is indicative of other freedoms that a society has (including overlanding) but freedom comes with responsibility.

If I were a US citizen I would have more liberty to use the term "Americans" . I'll be more inclusive in the future and use "North Americans" to temper my meaning.

Connie

Day walker, Overland Certified OC0013
teotwaki- you are out of line. Ed's post was very polite, if you are going to get a massive wedgie over it, that is your choice. And by the way, the only reason I even looked at this thread is because you reported a post. A dissenting opinion is not against Expo rules.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Kind of an apples to oranges comparison considering the entire population of Switzerland is about the same as Arizona...

Also, they have tighter permit requirements than we do here. Are you saying we need more permit requirements like the Swiss have? Yeah, thought not... :coffee:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Kind of an apples to oranges comparison considering the entire population of Switzerland is about the same as Arizona...
Similar population, about 1/5th the area. It is similar in density (around 500 persons/sq-mile) to a state like New York, Maryland or Delaware. If the social and geographic reasons are to be fully explored, then surely having a lot more elbow room in Arizona should lend itself to a generally less stressful environment and naturally lower crime, which I don't think is the case.
Also, they have tighter permit requirements than we do here. Are you saying we need more permit requirements like the Swiss have? Yeah, thought not... :coffee:
No idea on these things. But if you want to be taken care of from cradle to grave without assuming for yourself the work and risk of living then you will necessarily give up your liberty to do many things you want. You don't for long get to keep your freedoms and rights without dealing with your responsibility to see after your own needs.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998