Lower ball joint woes

Styyy

Adventurer
OK ,mission accomplished,well sorta. Drilled out the lower ball joint stud,got it to release, but now I cant get the ball joint out of the lower control arm? All 4 bolts holding the ball joint are out,the brake caliper,outer tie rod ,abs sensor are all releases, but there isnt enough wiggle room to remove the ball joint even with half the stud cut off. To me it looks like I have 2 options, remove the hub or the lower control arm? The FSM sucks it dosent state how to tackle this in detail. Its good for torque specs etc..

Help!

Styyy

Adventurer
Not sure which is easier? remove the hub or the lower control arm? If I try loosening tthe bolts holdind the hub the hub just spins?? If I decide to remove the lower control arm how do I release the torsion bar pressure?? Its snowing like crazy and all we have is my wifes subie. Please help!!

jlocster

Explorer
Styy post some pics if you can so we can better help you out. IIRC, the lower ball joint does have to be manipulated just right to clear the control arm or else it won't slide out. Come to think of it, you might have to remove the grease nipple from the ball joint, as well. I'd say keep working it, you shouldn't have to remove the hubs or control arm.

Last edited:
Its been several months and two big trips since I did them on my truck. I'm seriously having trouble remember the exact procedure, but I definitely did not remove the LCA. I recall needing to use my floor jack to raise and lower the LCA. I'm pretty sure you the upper hub spindle can not be connected to the ball joint in the UCA.

I guess I didn't have an issue and so it's not sticking out in my mind... I'll try to remember to look at my rig today at lunch (I actually drove it for a change).

When you get it done, be bloody sure you put at least medium strength loctite on the all the fasteners.

Styyy

Adventurer
Well I managed to wiggle it out last night,took an hour break and tried in vain to get the replacement in.:( Same issue the top of the ball joint hits the outer cv hub and its preventing the ball joint arms from entering the LCA. Ive tried it with the ball joint bolted in to the LCA ,and bolted into the hub,no go! Ive always had a jack under the LCA,tried every height. Guess I should have just unbotled the hub or LCA from the get go. Ill give it another shot hopefully later tonight if I can get the kids to bed early.

thanks for all your input!!

I also recall having to keep everything loose until it was all back together. Like I said, I dont recall it being very difficult. It was the first (only) time I've done it on the Montero tho.

jdavis

Observer
The lower ball joint only goes in one specific way. IIRC right hand side goes in first at bit of an upward angle.

Do not have to remove hub or lower control arm. Though you may need to tie the hub back up to get it out of the way. Also, try removing the jack from under LCA to get it a low as possible and make the sure the square bolt thingy is not in the ball joint. Put that in after getting balljoint in LCA

~ Jon

Styyy

Adventurer
Retried wiggling it in again with no success. Removed the hub/steering knuckle and it was finished in 10 mins. My suggestion is if your going to replace your lower ball joints ,simply remove the knuckle and call it a day. Thanks for all the input!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior