Lowering a M101A

WarPig BBQ

Hey Guys,
I'll be buying my 1st M101A this weekend. I' plan to build it out for my competition BBQ team. I'm going to mount a Vertical smoker (looks like a small gun safe) in the bed facing the side so that I can walk up to the side of the trailer and open the door and put my ribs on. I believe the trailer will be to high to comfortably access the smoker without building a step. Have any of you lowered your trailers? If so, can you give me some guidance on how to do so?

slascalza

Lowering M101A

You can replace the axle so it will have the same matching hub pattern as your tow vehicle and put electric brakes on it. We have a M101A3 and got rid of the massive 37s and it now sits level with our FJ Cruiser

smd3

If you're not looking to make any other changes to the trailer, you might get a shop to change the axle to spring over the leaves, unstead of spring under. You'll be able to retain the surge breaking.

Well, I guess you could do that, even if you get a new axle. That, with smaller tires would probably sit how you want it.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I wish you were closer. I have a 4" drop axle for sale in Pittsburgh.
It would lower it down for you.

Attachments

• DSCF6563.jpg
    DSCF6563.jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF6565.jpg
    DSCF6565.jpg
    536.5 KB · Views: 9

RagnarD

Adventurer
Things I considered:

Smaller wheels and tires
Spring under axle
Replace axle with drop axle
Torsion axle attached to frame with 45 degree up spindles

Just depends how much money and effort you want to spend. You could probable get close to 10" lower with the torsion axle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior