LPG and cooking fuels generally in expedition vehicles

Bandicoot

Adventurer
This was my reasoning against taking up LPG for the inside or outside kitchen in our motorhome.
LPG is often used in motorhomes for cooking, hot water and perhaps even space heating.
I believe a motorhome needs an outdoor cooking facility (as well as indoor). Not only is it sociable if travelling with friends, but also helps reduce congestion in the camper plus if you need to be cooking smelly or fatty foods, it is much better outside esp if you do not have an extraction fan over the internal cooktop as the EC has done (note: this was done due to problems of extraction fan systems in kitchen or ensuites “sucking in” dust during travel on very dusty roads).
However, a key principle for us in our selection of our motorhome was to avoid multiple fuels and to avoid the riskier “volatile” fuels, which means those that have a low flash point, such as LPG and methanol.
Relying on an open fire for cooking is not practical due to problems with wet weather, cold weather, lack of availability of suitable wood in some places, bans on open fires (e.g. in national parks or during fire bans).
We wanted to avoid multiple fuels due to the need to then manage all these fuels, and often to carry second containers for them to avoid running out. There are the issues of containers leaking and increased fire risks especially in the riskier fuels. Some fuels (esp LPG) are also vapour at standard temperature and pressure, so that any leak will result in an explosive atmosphere.
We also noted that we can have a diesel hot water system and camper heating operating while the vehicle is in motion, this is not the case with LPG. Hence we can turn on the HWS and have hot water ready for a shower when we arrive at camp, or the camper already heated, or maintain camper temperature during travel. The diesel heater can also be set to automatically come on to effectively “winterise” the camper interior when the vehicle is in storage; this cannot be done with LPG which in most cases needs to be isolated for safety reasons when the vehicle is unattended. In addition, no LPG operated HWS in Australia provides the auto-dump facility to protect the HWS from freezing.
On this basis, we eliminated LPG as a fuel. Specific additional concerns we had about LPG included:
o By law in Australia, any LPG device in a caravan or motorhome must always have outside ventilation. This is not just the “bottles” but also the actual devices themselves on the basis that the LPG gas lines to the devices, or the device itself, could develop a leak and ventilation is essential to try to keep the resulting air/LPG mixture outside the explosive range. It is illegal for the caravan or motorhome to be completely sealed up even when the device is not operating (in case there is a leak); however, this ensures dust will get in!
o When an LPG device is operating (e.g. internal cooktop), it is essential to keep a window open due to the potential for deadly carbon monoxide.
o Any gas fed flame (e.g. LPG) has a problem in windy conditions, even with wind deflectors in place. However, those fed from a rubber hose (e.g. LPG) are more exposed than (say) a Coleman dual-fuel stove (which uses a rigid steel pipe for fuel delivery, not a flexible rubber hose), as there is the additional risk of the hose being able to melt through.
o When LPG burns, it produces not only toxic gases but also significant amounts of water vapour. In cold conditions, the water vapour will condense on the inside of the camper. Eliminating LPG eliminates this source of condensation.
o Gas bottles have to be removed for filling. However, diesel tanks do not.
o There is the difficulty of knowing how much LPG has is left in the bottle. It is not convenient to be weighing the bottle frequently and other methods are not reliable or practical.
o The difficulty of getting bottles refilled. It is now the law (here in Queensland) that any person refilling an LPG gas bottle has to be “certified” i.e. have done a suitable course and assessed as competent. Most garage owners can’t be bothered to do this (with the number of casuals etc), and in addition, often there is only one person “on duty” at a garage and they haven’t got the time to do both bottle refills and take money off customers for fuel. Most garages have therefore converted over to the “Swap n Go” system of LPG bottle exchange (bring in an empty, receive a full bottle). However, there are three grades of LPG bottles. There are the cheap bottles that are designed for home BBQ use and never to be “on the road”, more expensive bottles, and then the galvanised bottles. Bottles that are designed to handle the rough and tumble of life on the road need to be high quality. Who wants to “swap” their good bottle for a cheap n nasty one from Swap n Go?
o Overseas, there are problems with the type of fitting on LPG bottles and the need to carry multiple adaptors, or even buy new bottles for different countries.
o LPG in Australia is 100% Propane. However, autogas is a mixture of propane and butane, and “LPG” overseas can be quite a high proportion of butane. Butane boils at 0.6deg C, which means it is unsuitable for use in temperatures below about 5deg C. In addition, cylinders and fittings designed for use with Propane only cannot be safely used with mixtures of propane and butane.
o Whilst the heat content of LPG and unleaded petrol is roughly the same (per kg), a single 10 litre steel Jerry can of unleaded fuel would occupy about the same volume as two x 1.5 kg LPG bottles (with hoses etc) so LPG bottles are an inefficient way (space-wise) of carrying heat.
o We did not want a slide-out kitchen BBQ due to the space lost by this and the dependence of these systems on LPG fuel. Having a slide-out kitchen also ties the cook into being at the vehicle while cooking. This is not always the most practical or pleasant place to be cooking.
o For the outside cooking, a Coleman Dual fuel is extremely light, self-contained and portable, and can easily be removed to take it off to a picnic table, or down a creek bank to where we had the chairs; we won’t be forced into cooking at the EC itself, which is not always convenient.
o I like these Coleman stoves as they are very light, very fast boiling for quick cup of tea or coffee, fuel is available everywhere, they work down to -40 deg whereas butane only works to about +5 deg C. You can use them as an oven (with some limitations) if you put a camp oven on top of a burner. The stove is also good with a toaster or jaffle iron.
o There is also room in the same outside locker for my Cobb heat bead cooker, and next to the Cobb a supply of heat beads etc. I have a small cast iron camp oven that (with side lugs ground off ever so slightly) fits neatly inside the Cobb.
o I then have 4 options for cooking: Webasto, dual-fuel, Cobb and camp oven on open fire. This gives us great flexibility and redundancy.
o This arrangement would have everything in one place for me for outdoor cooking (and also have good light from the awning light).
Bandicoot

gait

Explorer
thanks Bandicoot. Couldn't agree more. Diesel cook top took some getting used to but works well for us. Currently transferring from old vehicle to new.

Also no built-in external bbq for all the reasons you mention plus we never seem to park level.

Possible addition to diesel hot water heater circuit is an engine connection. Use engine for hot water / space heating on the move and diesel hot water heater to pre-heat engine when really really cold. Isolating valves against the event of system failure. I believe the diesel water heaters were originally developed for engine and vehicle preheat. More difficult after build mod is circuit to help water tanks not freeze though not normally necessary in Oz.

I mentioned it elsewhere - "diesel, water, sunlight and food in - grey water, black water, exhaust fumes and food packaging out".

1Engine

Observer
If you are using the EC as your "residence" & if you show that you do not have access to electricity go & have a talk to the Tax office - I would personally go in rather than ring, you may be able to claim the excise on the Diesel fuel used for power generation & heating etc.
I spent 14 years living on a yacht/houseboat & we were able to claim about 25 cents / litre (2000 rates) for power generation - but not propulsion. Customs used to deal with it but now it is the ATO.
http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/co...11/001&mnu=9955&mfp=001/003&st=&cy=1#P40_1439

westyss

Explorer
Lpg

thanks Bandicoot for all your insights and comments, they are thought provoking and a good read. But,,, I personaly dont understand the dangers of LPG, I mean I do, but all fuel is volatile in its own way, otherwise it wouldnt be fuel, the way it is handled obviously is key. In all my campers, I have and will use LPG, from heaters, to cook tops and BBQ's, in and out. for me it is very convenient, easy to use, and here in Canada, very available.
I sometimes sense a bit of fear mongering that developes and gains strength when discussions about LPG take place. They may be correct, but other than boats exploding (LPG heavier than air and sinking into the bilge) I have not heard of any campers exploding away, not that it hasnt happened. ( has it??) Does anyone have any documented proof that this occurs? Is it directly linked to LPG? I do love these discussions, but in my experience, I have a hard time not using LPG in my camper, for me it is easy to use, convenient, readily available, safe.
A couple of things to think about- All cooking produces water vapor. It doesnt matter what fueled is used, the stuff you cook emits water vapor.

Multiple fuels? diesel and what? do you BBQ, what is used for that diesel?
coleman diesel camp stoves?? Seems that we are all still using multiple fuels.
I use diesel and LPG. Have you ever seen how volatile camp stove fuel is? that stuff is scary.

Diesel cooktops seem to be problematic, is this the case? from what travellers say about them, I decided not to use one, my decision based on other travellers comments on them.

Again, as has been stated here many times, campers and their systems are products of personal wants , ideas and needs, something I use in Canada may be totally unusable or unavailable in other countries. In the US, some tunnels are banned from entering if you have LPG.
These discussions are great in that everyone gets pertinant information about systems, travel , equipment and get to make their own decisions based on "their needs" that may or may not suit others needs.
thanks again for the posts and keep em coming.

Yves:victory:

Bajaroad

Adventurer
Lpg

When an LPG device is operating (e.g. internal cooktop), it is essential to keep a window open due to the potential for deadly carbon monoxide.
o When LPG burns, it produces not only toxic gases but also significant amounts of water vapour. In cold conditions, the water vapour will condense on the inside of the camper. Eliminating LPG eliminates this source of condensation.
o Gas bottles have to be removed for filling.
o There is the difficulty of knowing how much LPG has is left in the bottle.
o Bandicoot

A LPG cooktop will not produce harmful levels of CO unless it's malfunctioning or it runs out of air. A ideal propane burn produces zero CO. We know it's not likely to be ideal, but the levels are not toxic. Yes it produces CO2. So does breathing. Regardless of your stove type, there should be some level of ventilation. LPG BBQ's and portable heating devices should not be used indoors because they produce much more CO than a LPG stovetop. Nearly every RV built in the States in the last 40 years successfully uses LPG stove tops. Even if your windows and doors are closed, if you run your over-the-stove fan driven vent, air will be sucked into the camper. There are obviously downsides to LPG (negative aspects), but there is with most choices.

For my build, I would have preferred diesel heaters, and with the heaters I would have then chose the diesel stovetop (although I do prefer the instant heat from a propane flame for my desperate coffee needs in the AM). I really appreciate what some of the Fuso owners have done with their diesel heaters, especially preheating the engine (Tom G). Those systems add engineering time and my build was already more than I could handle, so I decided to keep it simple and go with LPG. So maybe if you are building something yourself one's choices may be different.

The other big factor for me was a generator. I wanted a diesel generator, but they weigh 400-500lbs and cost a lot, where my 2800W gasoline/pull-start Yamaha weighs 80lbs. LPG conversion kits are readily available for my Yamaha, so I'll have a propane powered generator soon. I had one before and it had noticeably less "toxic" fumes compared to gasoline and diesel. Btw, remote starts are nice when you want to start your micro or a/c, but I love not having to worry about a dead battery.

My bottle is mounted to my frame (no removal) and gauges are readily available with remote readouts, so it's quite easy to know when you have to fill up.

For added safety, I have a CO detector and Propane gas detector in the camper.

Brent

FusoFG

Adventurer
A couple of things to think about- All cooking produces water vapor. It doesnt matter what fueled is used, the stuff you cook emits water vapor.

Your right, all fuels produce water vapor, but with a diesel cooktop the combustion chamber is sealed and the water vapor, fumes and other by products exit the exhaust pipe outside the camper.

Water vapor is not normally a problem unless you are camping in cold weather.

I think the Webasto version that Bandicoot also has a separate outside air intake so the the cooktop is not burning up oxygen in the camper that might be otherwise valueable for breathing.

I really appreciate what some of the Fuso owners have done with their diesel heaters, especially preheating the engine (Tom G). Those systems add engineering time and my build was already more than I could handle, so I decided to keep it simple and go with LPG. So maybe if you are building something yourself one's choices may be different.

Brent

Brent, thanks. Your right preheating the engine / using engine heat to heat the camper and hot water tank added some engineering and build time, but it's a pretty typical setup for a boat and we lived aboard for 25 years.

Installing the diesel cooktop wasn't any harder to install than a propane cooktop and it might have easier because of plastic fuel line vs a copper fuel line.

Tom G

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
The other big factor for me was a generator. I wanted a diesel generator, but they weigh 400-500lbs and cost a lot, where my 2800W gasoline/pull-start Yamaha weighs 80lbs.
What is the purpose of the generator Brent?
There is a big diesel power plant up the front already. Why not use that on the odd occasion that you need extra power?
I can get 70A charge into our house batteries from our 85A alternator if the soalar is suffering in the weather. That is our (rarely needed) generator.
A second (much larger) alternator, maybe with an electric clutch and a decent inverter and you are done, and you saved a heap of weight and a heap of $$$s too?

Cheers,
Peter

Bajaroad

Adventurer
gen

There is a big diesel power plant up the front already. Why not use that on the odd occasion that you need extra power?
I can get 70A charge into our house batteries from our 85A alternator if the soalar is suffering in the weather. That is our (rarely needed) generator.
A second (much larger) alternator, maybe with an electric clutch and a decent inverter and you are done, and you saved a heap of weight and a heap of $$$s too?

Cheers,
Peter

Peter, that would be a nice setup and I did consider it. I'm not saying my approach is the best, but for my needs it seemed like a pretty functional, low cost, and light weight approach.
I have an A/C unit and lots of power tools, and figured the easiest way to power them is with an ac/dc gen set (it has a built in dc charger).
A second alternator and good inverter might cost as much. My Yamaha was $1050 delivered, weighs only 68lbs dry, and puts out 21amps continuous at 120V (equal to 180A at 14V). One quick pull of the starter and I can plug in my sawsall, charge my truck batteries, charge my camper batteries, or run my a/c. In reality I don't plan on using it much. I wired the camper for solar, so before I spend months at a time on a beach in Baja, I'll get the solar going.

Bajaroad

Adventurer
gen mount

pic of Yamaha. I rubber mounted it and plan to add sound insulation.

Attachments

• IMG_1266_.JPG
    IMG_1266_.JPG
    310.3 KB · Views: 37

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I think the Webasto version that Bandicoot also has a separate outside air intake so the the cooktop is not burning up oxygen in the camper that might be otherwise valueable for breathing.

Hi Tom. Remember that conversation on Diesel cooking and hot water systems we had a year or more back?? Reminded me of this. I'll see if if I can find it.

Yep here it is http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19397&highlight=diesel+hot+water+systems

Anyway, the Webasto Cooktops draw air in from a computer style fan into the box under the cooktop which pressurizes the box and then the air exits out in a shroud around the exhaust. It's a safe gaurd to keep any stray CO fumes out of the camper, I guess and to cool everything but they normally just draw from inside the camper (as standard anyway). You are relying on a the operation of the fan.

Webasto give VERY good tech support here in Oz and are a great crew to deal with.

BTW the last LPG anything I've installed was back in '04. Not a fan at all. I think "induction" will be the next big thing.

Good write up Rick. Thanks.

Last edited:

Bandicoot

Adventurer
thanks Bandicoot for all your insights and comments, they are thought provoking and a good read. But,,, I personaly dont understand the dangers of LPG, I mean I do, but all fuel is volatile in its own way, otherwise it wouldnt be fuel, the way it is handled obviously is key. In all my campers, I have and will use LPG, from heaters, to cook tops and BBQ's, in and out. for me it is very convenient, easy to use, and here in Canada, very available.
I sometimes sense a bit of fear mongering that developes and gains strength when discussions about LPG take place. They may be correct, but other than boats exploding (LPG heavier than air and sinking into the bilge) I have not heard of any campers exploding away, not that it hasnt happened. ( has it??) Does anyone have any documented proof that this occurs? Is it directly linked to LPG? I do love these discussions, but in my experience, I have a hard time not using LPG in my camper, for me it is easy to use, convenient, readily available, safe.

Multiple fuels? diesel and what? do you BBQ, what is used for that diesel?
coleman diesel camp stoves?? Seems that we are all still using multiple fuels.
I use diesel and LPG. Have you ever seen how volatile camp stove fuel is? that stuff is scary.

Yves:victory:

Yves
I'm not anti-LPG but having used it for many years, it does have more pitfalls than diesel. Diesel is a very safe fuel to store, to fill, to use and whilst it will burn if ignited, it won't explode.
The regulations over here are very strict on LPG in campers/caravans which in itself is an indication of the hazard. A key issue is that LPG is a gas at normal temperaures and pressures. For example, you are not allowed to have any LPG device operating when you are travelling. Contrast this to the Webasto where you can have the diesel HWS and the diesel interior air heating operating while you are travelling. In addition, you do not need any "flue" in the vehicle for the diesel cooktop but you must for LPG. There have been many fires on campers/vans from LPG in Oz; some vans have even exploded while being towed down the highway!

Regarding the Coleman stoves, I agree that gasoline is a hazardous fuel. However, there are no flexible hoses in the Coleman system to fray or perish nor any hose terminations to weaken, and if the cap on the small coleman pressure tank does come a bit loose, some liquid may spill but it's not like LPG which will gas off so quickly as it's under such high pressure (I always release the pressure in my Coleman tank before packing it away). Also, we won't be carrying much fuel for the Coleman stove as I don't see us using this system very much; it's part for redundancy and part if we want to cook away from the EC and can't use a campfire. LPG is also much harder to find that diesel, especially in more remote locations, and the issues with the "swap n go" LPG bottle problem is a real pain; it's almost impossible to find someone who will refill your own bottles here now unless you're in a major centre and probably then only during normal "camp shop opening hours", whereas diesel is not only widespread but can be filled on the vehicle and there are plenty of 24/7 garages or at least places that are open some time each day 7 days/wk.

Of course, there are great things about LPG, particularly that the heat is "instant" ON and then, once finished, instant "OFF". The other thing is that it is easy to get 2, 3 or 4 burner LPG cooktops (not so with diesel) and also a griller and full oven. You give these things up with a Webasto cooktop (which is just that, and basically one "full on" burner with a second "simmer" area).

I've been very happy with the diesel cooktop so far. Too early to give it an unqualified undying endorsement. It's slow but you can manage that by just remembering to turn it on a bit earlier. The ceramic cooktop is brilliantly clean and has no smell (or water vapour, although I accept your point that most foods produce some water vapour during cooking. However, every bit helps in avoiding condensation.)

Brent
I couldn't really agree that LPG doesn't produce CO under routine operating conditions. If my vehicle was converted to run on LPG, I wouldn't be willing to sleep in an enclosed space with the engine running even assuming the oxygen and CO2 levels were kept OK.
LPG certainly produces less CO than most other fuels (perhaps all) but not enough to safely use indoors without any venting.
Bear in mind that the Webasto cooktop exhausts the combustion gases direct to the outside.
I agree that LPG has been around a long time and overall has got a good track record. A further issue for me was that I really didn't want to take up valuable storage space for awkward-shaped LPG bottles or have the hassle of trying to monitor LPG gas levels and schedule in or sometimes modify our travel plans just to organise refills. With diesel, the fuel gauges in the cabin at the drivers seat tells the story, and when you fill up the vehicle tanks (for travel) you are automatically filling up your "cooking", "HWS" and "air heating" equipment fuel tanks. I also found it something of a pain to always have to remember to isolate the LPG bottles before you moved off each time. It was common for me to start off and then remember "The LPG bottle"!!! Mutter, mutter, mutter!! Pull over, undo seat belt, get out, walk around, and isolate it. Similarly, we'd pull up and get into the van and then the wife would say "Dear, did you remember to turn the gas on?". Bummer!!
It was also a pain when the LPG bottle ran out and you'd have to go out and swap the regulator and/or hose over...always an inconvenient time, usually night, cold or wet. And I found it quite heavy lifting the 9 kg bottles out of their cradle (which was in an awkward position requiring a long reach) when they needed to be refilled.
I was interested to read that your LPG bottle is mounted to your frame and can't be removed. What size is it (kg)? Does it take "autogas" type LPG (with those type of filler fittings) or standard cooking type LPG?
A final downside of LPG for us was that we wanted to travel overseas and I'd been reading about not only the variable quality of "LPG" (propane/butane mixtures) overseas, but also the large number of different types of fittings you would need to carry to fill LPG bottles. I felt I could just live without that extra aggravation and frustration that would no doubt strike when I'm least prepared to be "patient and understanding" about it!

General comment:
Personally I think part of the answer lies in the type of lifestyle you are planning. If you're basically into "camping" on the domestic scene and generally not away from home for very long (in which case LPG bottles can always be topped up at your leisure at home) or are travelling in areas where LPG is easily available (and your own bottles can be re-filled), and if space isn't an issue, then LPG is a good choice--the gear is plentiful and cheap, the technology is simple, and you do have the instant ON/OFF and multiple burners/griller/full oven benefits.
However, if you are setting yourself up for remote "expedition" work where you'll be far from the madding crowds, and perhaps in 3rd world countries, then I think diesel will be safer, easier to get, and a better all-round choice.
But that's what forums are about--we each share part of the story and our experiences!

Rick (Bandicoot)

93Canter

Observer
I want to go all diesel, however the price tag is almost as frightening as the price of a single rear wheel conversion.

I checked the prices recently, the Webasto cook top was about $1800, and the Webasto water/room heater system was about $2900.

I still have to convince the Missus that a diesel cook top is going to be ok to cook with so it would be good to hear more stories from people who actually cook regularly on the Webasto cook top. Questions like how is it having one temperature controller for both hot plates. And does it get hot enough to fry steak on both hot plates.

We usually cook for the whole group that travel with us with an outside kitchen under a large hatch, so the other concern is that it is not really big enough to cook for a group of 6 to 8 adults.

The idea of using gas keeps coming up as a viable, cheaper, heavier, PITA solution.

When I am not Lurking I am busy procrastinating

gait

Explorer
I want to go all diesel, however the price tag is almost as frightening as the price of a single rear wheel conversion.

I checked the prices recently, the Webasto cook top was about $1800, and the Webasto water/room heater system was about $2900.

I still have to convince the Missus that a diesel cook top is going to be ok to cook with so it would be good to hear more stories from people who actually cook regularly on the Webasto cook top. Questions like how is it having one temperature controller for both hot plates. And does it get hot enough to fry steak on both hot plates.

We usually cook for the whole group that travel with us with an outside kitchen under a large hatch, so the other concern is that it is not really big enough to cook for a group of 6 to 8 adults.
I rationalised the lpg/diesel decision down to the convenience of use of lpg (turn it up, turn it down, turn it off) vs the availability (in all countries) of diesel, my single fuel. Safety and reliability snuck in there somewhere. Apart from both cooking things its like comparing chalk and cheese.

Looks like prices have gone up considerably since I went all diesel (a couple or more years ago).

Never found much info on how others use them.

We manage temperature control by moving pots and pans around the cooktop surface rather than adjusting the temperature control, its very slow to react and there's possibly an effect on long term reliability from frequent adjustments. Probably only adjust temperature control once or twice per meal, if at all.

Flat bottomed pans are critical. Heavier bottom are easier to have pot to one side of hot spot and be relatively evenly heated. Frying steak at both ends we'd probably swap them over every couple of minutes. Difficult to describe, both ends will boil and fry, cooler end just takes longer to get food up to temperature.

Some foods (like rice) once hot keep cooking without direct heat. We also have a thermos shuttle chef (slow cooking thermal cookware).

Normally just 2 of us, cooking for 4 easy, 6 we'd have to think about, 8 we'd really have to plan and not something we'd enjoy. Depends on the menu.

Currently considering msr or primus omni fuel using diesel for outside - spent too many years hiking/bush walking/tramping/trekking. Does the coleman take diesel?

Bajaroad

Adventurer
Rick,
I definitely agree that the loose lpg bottles are a hassle. My old slide-in camper had two 5-gallon.
My new tank is 20-gallons and perminantely mounted, so less fills and hassle. I expect it to last for several months running the frig/stove/bbq - we'll see about the generator.
I will cover it with 5-bar plate and use a door to access.

Attachments

• IMG_1269_.JPG
    IMG_1269_.JPG
    270.4 KB · Views: 24

dzzz

Cheers,
Peter

I agree with Peter point, especially with a diesel genset. Looking at the cost,weight and space of a diesel generator, what else can be done with that budget?
A Ford ordered with a diesel and 2 alternators is 315 amps. That will recharge a big battery bank quickly.
My choice is LPG for cooking and portable backup generator. Diesel for everything else. This allows the generator to be left home when A/C is not needed.
Butane portable burner is a good choice for people who mostly cook outside. The cartridges can be stored in an outside box for safety. The cooktop can be used inside or out.
It is about personal preference. I don't like diesel cooktops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears