LR3 ABS Issue

vfly172

Observer
I'm having a weird issue and hate to throw parts at it before some input.

When I turn steep to the left the ABS is triggered. It happens mostly if driving around a rotary or taking a step left turn at speed. It seems to happen as the truck leans more to the right. Something is making the truck think I'm sliding/skidding. There is no replication of this issue when turning to the right.

Both front wheel bearings/hubs have under 30k on them and were replaced with OEM. I've had the issue for 2 months. I was able to predict when it would happen and avoid it. Now it's more frequent and to a point that I really need to address it.

No other ABS issues and no play in the wheel bearings. Gap tool doesn't bring up any codes. Could it be a bad tone ring in the wheel bearing? I'd assume a bad ABS sensor would trigger a light.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I would recommend graphing the problem and then analyzing it. I quick scan of the GAP tool user manual indicates this is on page 124 and such. So start recording and pull up all data relating to ABS. Including individual wheel sensors (I hope it can do this). And then replicate the issue. See which wheel is causing the problem. Then you know where to look. I'd say this is a wiring problem.

Once then you'll know which wheel to look at and inspect the wiring there. Also if possible, with the ignition of, car off, car locked down, tire off, use the graphing function to and wiggle the wires again. See if you get weird signals from a specific portion of the wiring. Then work your way back.

So yeah, I'm going to say a bad piece of wire or the ABS pump needs to be bled. Once again, GAP tool for this. Actually might be a good idea to do that first as that is pretty easy to do and would eliminate it.

Abran

Observer
Have a shop check your entire front end. Could be a tie rod end, control arm bushing, or even as simple as a steering angle sensor calibration.

Get it up in the air and start checking all the components.

EricTyrrell

Expo God
This is normal when cornering too fast in an LR3/4. Does the DSC light flash when this happens? It could just be telling you to stop driving like a maniac.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
This is normal when cornering too fast in an LR3/4. Does the DSC light flash when this happens? It could just be telling you to stop driving like a maniac.

My buddies would do this when were were driving up the Canyons in Utah too fast. It was funny. Never caused any permanent issues though.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader

My buddies would do this when were were driving up the Canyons in Utah too fast. It was funny. Never caused any permanent issues though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman