LR3 advice needed. Transfer box issues

A.J.M

Explorer
Right guys and girls. Hoping you can help shed some light on a issue a friends D3 is having.

3 weeks ago, he damaged the seals of the transfer box after grounding out on some rocks, caused by a compressor overheat and deflate.

Now, he bought new genuine LR seals and the "Special oils" ( name on bottle ) from a main dealer, took it to a gearbox repairer to get the seals swapped over.
He removed the box on the driveway with the help of a neighbour.

He reinstalled it last week and has been having issues since.

Symptoms are as following.

When going from Park to either Drive or Reverse. There is a "thunk" noise from the TB, with a visible twisting of the propshafts going out the TB. This gives a shake through the car.

Upon start up, it flashes a warning message on dash. "low range is unavailable" it refuses to go into low range. At all.

It has been on an Autologic diagnostic machine. It threw up Solenoid faults. The solenoid has been tested and appears to be working fine.
The box was working perfectly before the damage was done, with high/low range engaging freely.

It has had a hard reset to clear codes and any errors etc stored.

So, can anyone shed further light.
We really are hoping to avoid using the gearbox guy unless last resort as the attitude from them has been less than helpful.

Any advice or new ideas is welcomed as we are stumped at this issue but hoping that others may be able to come up with an idea.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
If the transfer box was damaged badly enough from dragging over rocks to compromise the seals then it would not surprise me if internal damage was done as well. If there was simply an electronic fault then I would suggest looking at the transfer case control module (TCCM) but the mechanical symptoms you are describing clearly indicate an issue inside the box. My first recourse would be to take it back to the shop that changed the seals... it is possible they reassembled it incorrectly. If they are of no help, then you should find a better gearbox guy or just swap it out with a proper reman unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998