LR3 Alignment

GORM

Adventurer
Is there a significant difference between a regular alignment at a reputable shop vs. one done at an land rover dealer using "tight tolerances"? Need to do alignment given ours has of Johnson rods and simply making decision out of convenience of using a non-LR shop.

Thanks
Kent

unseenone

Explorer
Probably not much, though your shop may not be equipped to do a height calibration. That step is an extra step that LR shop will only do upon request.

srschick

Adventurer
Tip: check to see if your local dealer has a sign up for email/mailings. I often get mailing with discounts on alignments from my local dealer. $120 for the last dealer alignment, not much more than what the local indy shops wanted.

cannonball55

Adventurer
firestone wont tell you upfront that they are not able to put the truck into tight tolerance mode and wont tell you afterwards that they just fudged it.

im not saying you cant do it at firestone, but ask very truck specific questions and get specific answers.

Exploder
Even dealers mess these up. Scott Brady will only have alignments on the LR4 done at LRLV.

jhawk

Adventurer
firestone wont tell you upfront that they are not able to put the truck into tight tolerance mode and wont tell you afterwards that they just fudged it.

im not saying you cant do it at firestone, but ask very truck specific questions and get specific answers.

I had mine set at Firestone with both the air and coil suspension, again no issues.

You do make a good point about the tight tolerance setting. I can pretty much guarantee that mine was not in that mode when aligned. I would love to hear from an LR tech to see how important the tight tolerance setting really is.

Jim

dwvninety

Observer
I had Firestone do mine the first time (after lift rods install) and they screwed up (pulling to the right and steering wheel was not straight. I took it to the dealer and they made it right. I guess this guy was working at Firestone when mine was done.
Alignment.jpg

Jwestpro

Explorer
Even dealers mess these up. Scott Brady will only have alignments on the LR4 done at LRLV.

Las Vegas? Why, is there a tech who is somehow more in tune with the newer vehicles or just a total picky mechanic nerd ?

Exploder
No idea. Scott has written that LR Phoenix can't do it, so he takes it to LRLV when he's in the area.

unseenone

Explorer
Nice article, but there is no mention of the caster, camber, height calibration, etc. I wonder if Scott has the actual final printout of reads he finds acceptable.. I'd like to compare them to the printouts I have.

morrisdl

Adventurer
I have had several alignments at my current dealer, and this past alignment fixed my over sensitive DSC annoyance. not all alignments are created equal.

KyleT

Explorer
It all depends on the guy doing it. Even dealers will only go in the green vs as close to exact as possible.

Some trucks can't be perfect so you also have to know what to do to balance it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman