LR3 / Discovery 3 Coil Conversion +2" Question

Ray_G

Explorer
I decided to go with the Atlantic British +2 setup after making some phone calls to L8 and roverparts.com. Did the install/conversion yesterday... bit more difficult then I thought it was going to be due to one of the Coil/Shocks being twisted and out of alignment; those OME springs are challenging to compress to say the least. So far, the ride is a little stiffer but I like it, and the stance is exactly what I was looking for... Looks great with the new 285/60R18 KO2's that I put on!

Attempted to use the module in ReFlash mode last night after the install, but did not have any success. I think I will opt to try the more permanent install tomorrow and see how that goes. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any suggestions?

Also, for those that have done the conversion, did you leave your compressor/tank/valves in place? I was thinking of removing them and selling them. If not, is there any downside to leaving them in place?

As always, thanks for putting up with my questions and concerns.

Cheers,

Jared

Jared-
I do have some experience with this, specifically in the problem realm, and have a long back and forth with Doug from AB about the whole thing that would be easist to push via email (hit me at ray.gerber@gmail.com). For the sake of everyone else reading, I have to ask what are your symptoms when you say the flash didn't take? The first time I tried to do mine I got the suspension failure/HDC failure/scrolling warning and orange suspension warning light.

I never got hardwire to work, though someone on the book of faces intimated that once you flash (or attempt to flash) allegedly the hardwiring doesn't work anymore. That makes about zero sense but these are Land Rovers.

What I ended up doing was hard resetting the truck, and then after reconnecting I got a successful flash which now leaves me with all the special features, no scrolling lights/dings/dongs/etc, and a red suspension light on full time. Bottom line is that sometimes it takes a few shots at flashing to get it to stick.

I left all my compressor & fittings in place, though increasingly I am considering removing them.

Def keen on pics since that tire and tire size is what I'm going to this spring.
r-
Ray

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
Ya know, Ive been waffling on buying an old TJ or something that I can have as more of a toy/trail ride. The LR3 is a family vehicle first, and play toy 2nd for my situation. With that said, a 3rd vehicle feels excessive (for me personally) and at the minimum would probably take 10k+ to get a vehicle more capable than the LR3. I'm now leaning towards spending some of that 10k into enhancing my driving skills and maximizing the trucks potential as well as minimizing potential repair costs down the road (ie. EAS components failure). This coil conversion is incredibly appealing to me. Thanks to all of you who have shared your experiences going this route, its definitely helpful in mapping the future for my LR3.

JDoubleDuBB

Had a moment while waiting for my lunch, so I figured I'd post a couple pics.
79f5370d7b0c53bdf59949021926169c.jpg
9f120a374eb351696befecf64f502f18.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JDoubleDuBB

2 birds, 1 stone.

Decided to replace the battery and hard-wire the magical orange box at the same time... the results were great. No lights, no chimes, no messages.

I took the old battery out, wired in the orange box per the directions, and then installed my new Odyssey battery. Worked like a charm.

Overall, I'm extremely satisfied with the AB kit. Gave the perfect amount of lift, relatively easy install, smooth and firm ride.

69fac6db97683a7447acd8ae464d53a1.jpg

Needless to say, I'm a happy camper.

Also, for those that have done the conversion, did you leave your compressor/tank/valves in place? I was thinking of removing them and selling them. If not, is there any downside to leaving them in place?

Leave the tank, upgrade the compressor (if needed) and leave it for onboard demand air for tires and basic tools. Just my two cents! Not sure how or if it would work but a simple switch to the compressor on/off into the cab should work fine.

JDoubleDuBB

Leave the tank, upgrade the compressor (if needed) and leave it for onboard demand air for tires and basic tools. Just my two cents! Not sure how or if it would work but a simple switch to the compressor on/off into the cab should work fine.

This is a pretty rad idea... I almost wonder if the suspension switch could somehow be repurposed for compressor on/off. Should be pretty easy to convert the valves on the tank to accept a quick detach air hose for tires, etc. Thanks for the input!

This is a pretty rad idea... I almost wonder if the suspension switch could somehow be repurposed for compressor on/off. Should be pretty easy to convert the valves on the tank to accept a quick detach air hose for tires, etc. Thanks for the input!

You can run a momentary switch or a pressure switch to a solenoid. Push the button (lift) and it will run until it reaches whatever pressure you have it set to and then shut off. I am sure you could make it autofill since most newer performance or lowrider set ups run automatically and remain at full just like our LR does in factory EAS. Since your box is reprogrammed, you'll most likely have to figure it out separately since the truck no longer knows the EAS components are still there. ME, I would go simple as possible with an on/off (2-3 wire set up) when you need it to fill the tank and it shuts off when it's full. No point in running the compressor when you are going back and forth to the grocery, save it for the trails.......IMO.

Sorry to partially hijack the thread........back to reading about less complicated suspension set ups...lol

Last edited:

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
I am about to do this conversion on my wife's LR3 (Next Weekend) Before I start I want to know if anyone has a total on the new vehicle height? The LR3 in standard drive mode sets at 74.1ish". I have an 80"(call it 79" to be safe) garage door opening. I don't care about long term parking, but I was going to do the conversion inside the garage because my driveway is ungodly steep. Needless to say I don't want to end up with the truck stuck in the garage because the door is to short. The Truck is on 255/65R18 Nito Terra Grapple's. In offraod mode I don't believe the dome on top of the truck will not clear.

Nate

Last edited:

Ray_G

Explorer
Interesting, I had measured mine to assist with flying in/out of parking garages around here-I'm tracking ~76" to the top of my CB antenna (which sticks up a couple inches from the roof/roof rack). That's on 285/60/18's-so 31.5's.

Surprised yours is coming in at 74; unless of course you have a rack.
r-
Ray

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Well I don't know that it really is, 74.1 is just Land Rover's spec for the 2005-06 LR3 I found, but it sounds like ill be okay then. And like you say I could always take all the air out of the tires. I have a good home tire pump.

Last edited:
Would the next lucky customer who plans to purchase a coil kit take some good measurements for me before you install?

If possible, these dimensions prior to assembly and then overall height of assembled shock assembly.

Depending on standard or heavy duty kit, please provide part numbers do differentiate!

Coils Front:
1) Overall unsprung height
2) Outside diameter (In case there is a taper)
Top Coil:
Bottom Coil:
Coils Rear:
1) Overall unsprung height
2) Outside diameter (In case there is a taper)
Top Coil:
Bottom Coil:

Shock Front: Top of thread cap to center of bottom bolt eyelet
1) Fully extended
2) Fully compressed
Shock Rear:
1) Fully extended
2) Fully compressed

Thanks Amigos!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members