LR3 half shafts

zelatore

Explorer
I'm not sure anybody here has any info on this but thought I'd ask.

I'm beginning to hear a slight click in the front; sounds like a CV may be getting tired. I also have a small leak on one of the boots, so I figure I'll go ahead and do both front half shafts when I do the other work in the front of the truck. Hey, they've got over 120K on what I suspect are the originals and I do use the truck hard, so it just seems like a good idea.

Anybody have a preferred brand/source? AB doesn't list them at all; BPUtah has OEM for $285 and unknown aftermarket for $150; RockAuto has aftermarket stuff from $55 to $85. So we have a rather wide spread of $55 - $285.

While I would much prefer reliability/durability over saving a couple bucks, it's hard to see tossing out nearly $600/pair when I could be spending $150. So, any specific aftermarket brands you'd recommend for or against?

Another thought - does anybody know if the LR4/RRS SC part is a direct fit replacement, and if so, is it notably stronger given the added power of these vehicles? While CVs are not known to be a weak link on the LR3, more beef is always good when you play hard. (note: I believe it is actually the same pn, so no advantage, but thought it worth asking)

Last edited:

JAK

JAK:JeremySnow
I am having all of mine replaced right now actually. I went with OEM. You said you play hard, I'd stick with OEM. At $85 I am not sure how hard you can play with those. The bearings are usually lower in quality and I would not trust the grease in there to be what it should be.

I believe that the fronts are the same on the LR3/4 and RRS. The rears are different for the locking versus non locking diffs, HD axles. I also think the LR4 rear shafts have a different spline. Of course I could be wrong.

A.J.M

Explorer
my 2p on the matter.

Earlier in the summer, ( July ) i had to change the rear left cv joint as it was clicking when that corner was extended off road. The boot clip had failed and it had let in water etc.

I had ordered a cv joint from a parts supplier i trust but they hadn't badged it as a front only, which is a totally different part and doesn't fit the rear. When i got the call from the garage fitting it, they had tried to find the part and failed. I called the parts supplier to find that in the 11 years the D3 has been on sale in the UK. I was the 3rd person he's had ask for a rear cv joint.
The cost of a rear cv joint for a tdv6 auto was £194 plus vat, so £232.80 and was only available from LR direct.
Thanks to being a very good customer and being on good terms, i managed to beg, plead and get 20% off the £232.80 asking price.

The fronts for comparison are £55 each.

Lesson to be learned. Don't break a rear cv joint. Haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears