LR3 HD package spare tire

cydonia-jacc

Observer
From what I have read, the only way to tell from inside the cab of an HD equiped LR3 is an indication on the navigation screen when 4 low is engaged. Is it safe to say that an HD equiped LR3 has to have the navigation option? Does anyone have the HD package without the navigation option? I've expanded my search to nation wide and I'm just looking for a way to narrow down the prospects.

jrose609

Explorer
From what I have read, the only way to tell from inside the cab of an HD equiped LR3 is an indication on the navigation screen when 4 low is engaged. Is it safe to say that an HD equiped LR3 has to have the navigation option? Does anyone have the HD package without the navigation option? I've expanded my search to nation wide and I'm just looking for a way to narrow down the prospects.

If you're looking to buy one, there is a nice 2005 LR3 HD in white listed in the classifieds here on ExPo.

cydonia-jacc

Observer
If you're looking to buy one, there is a nice 2005 LR3 HD in white listed in the classifieds here on ExPo.

The color combination is perfect but I'm really looking for a 2008 with less than 50K on it. I'm glad you pointed that out though because after studying the pictures it would appear that one doesn't have the nav system which answers my question.

Thank you.

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
Go to www.disco3.co.uk and ask those guys over there. There is more LR3 activity on that board, and you can probably get a more definitive answer. Of course, you could also call your local land rover dealer and ask them. It was my understanding that the navigation screen was always on the trucks with the HD package (not vice versa). I had to have my rear diff replaced (fortunately with an extended warranty) and I wanted to upgrade to the HD package locking rear diff. However the dealership told me that I couldnt because I didn't have the electronics installed to manage it (or something to that effect), which included the navigation screen. Obviously, regarding the rear diff, the navigation doesnt have anything to do with the rear diff, but the screen, in one of the other settings, shows whether the center or rear diff is locked.

Why are you so interested in the HD package? You just want one (which is fine), or what? All LR3s come with the automatic center locking differential, and combined with the traction control and air suspension, the LR3 does very very well off road. just thought I would add that comment incase it is helpful to you.

Mack73

Adventurer
cydonia-jacc wait it out and find the perfect one - they are out there.

I picked up my 2008 HD with 25k on it last year. Mine came from Oregon.

Dealer said to look for vehicles sold in Oregon and Colorado as they are more "off road" areas and are more likely to order the HD option.

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
Follow up - I dont know if that white LR3 has the HD package. Again, my understanding is that the HD package only came on the HSE trim LR3s. You might want to ask the seller if he had the diff installed after he purchased the truck?

unseenone

Explorer
That is not correct. I have an SE, including a full size spare and locker. Also there are rebuilt kits at lucky8 for when the front and rear diffs go out. For those of you interested, I highly suggest changing those diff fluids every 20k or so. Transmission and Transfer case at 75k.

cydonia-jacc

Observer
That is not correct. I have an SE, including a full size spare and locker. Also there are rebuilt kits at lucky8 for when the front and rear diffs go out. For those of you interested, I highly suggest changing those diff fluids every 20k or so. Transmission and Transfer case at 75k.

Unseenone, do you have the factory nav screen?

Go to www.disco3.co.uk and ask those guys over there. Why are you so interested in the HD package? You just want one (which is fine), or what?

Dcwhybrew, thanks for that link. I'm heading over there as soon as I'm finished typing this. I just thought I would start with expo because it's my favorite forum to lurk on. I have absolutely no way of justifying why I have to have the rear diff lock but from what I read If you want it later there is no way to install a factory or aftermarket unit.

cydonia-jacc wait it out and find the perfect one - they are out there.

I picked up my 2008 HD with 25k on it last year. Mine came from Oregon.

Dealer said to look for vehicles sold in Oregon and Colorado as they are more "off road" areas and are more likely to order the HD option.

Thanks for the encouragement Mack73. I'm in no hurry. The LR3 would replace my Subaru Outback which has 190,000 miles on it. It runs great but I'd like to have a back up or replacement within the year.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
To my knowledge, yes, all HD LR3's also have the Nav screen, but No, you cannot confirm the presence of the locker just from looking at the screen. The lock icon on the rear diff occurs on non-HD nav's as well. You can usually tell by the full size spare tire, but not always. You can ALWAYS tell by the VIN or by looking for the soleniod above the rear diff. The HD is not a deal breaker in any functional way in using the LR3 off road. It does make certain obstacles easier, but I have never experienced an obstacle where a non-HD LR3 couldn't make it up also.

dcwhybrew

Adventurer

Rear (not center) locker on an SE? How do you tell if an SE has the rear locker? Does it have to have the NAV screen?

Thanks for the info on Luck8 rebuild kits. I will check them out.

Edit: I think Nathan answered my question...I hit reply before I noticed the 2nd thread page.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78