LR3 Headlamp bulb replacement

I noticed last night that one of my headlights (SE model) was burned out. So while the turkey's in the oven I thought "no problem, I'll change both of them as I've wanted to upgrade to a brighter bluer bulb anyway-I know can be a bit cheesy but I'm getting older and my night vision isn't so great anymore). Except my problem is I have an ARB bumper and I can't seem to figure out how to get the lamp cluster thru the bumper so I can change the bulbs. Have any of you had this issue- please don't tell me I have to remove that huge and heavy bumper to get the lamps out.

zelatore

Explorer
I'm afraid you may be in for an unpleasant bit of news.

I'm pretty sure you won't get the headlight out with an ARB installed. The best bet I can come up with is to hope there is enough wiggle room to change the bulb with the housing only a couple inches out as that's about all you're going to get with the bumper in place. Sorry.

I'm afraid you may be in for an unpleasant bit of news.

I'm pretty sure you won't get the headlight out with an ARB installed. The best bet I can come up with is to hope there is enough wiggle room to change the bulb with the housing only a couple inches out as that's about all you're going to get with the bumper in place. Sorry.

Owww! that was my worst worry- I'll give it a try-thanks

DougG

Are you sure you don't change the bulbs through the wheel well. In my 2006 Range Rover, you have to remove the wheel arch liner to change the bulbs from the back of the headlight.

Ray_G

Explorer
Are you sure you don't change the bulbs through the wheel well. In my 2006 Range Rover, you have to remove the wheel arch liner to change the bulbs from the back of the headlight.

LR3 headlamps have two sliding levers on each headlight that raise and allow it to be pulled out; if clearance isn't an issue (as it may well be with the ARB's bull bar) it's very simple and easy to pull the whole assembly where you can then access the bulb(s). Sadly I'm guessing even with the grill removed there still isn't clearance to pull them forward?
r-
Ray

zelatore

Explorer
Removing the grill is a good suggestion for gaining a few extra precious mm. I do know you can get it out with an ARB installed. I just don't know how much help it will be.

A.J.M

Explorer
I always remove the grill before taking the headlight out.

Glad I have xenons, put upgraded bulbs in them 2 years ago so will do for a few years yet.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
No no no. Much easier just to unscrew the caps on the back of the housing and pull the bulbs out. You'll have to take out the air filter box, but that's just a few screws. Whole process takes 15 minutes. Tip! Be mindful of the spring clip holding the bulb socket in place. Take a photo of it before removal, and cover the opening with a cloth in case the spring clip launches somewhere into your engine bay....

No no no. Much easier just to unscrew the caps on the back of the housing and pull the bulbs out. You'll have to take out the air filter box, but that's just a few screws. Whole process takes 15 minutes. Tip! Be mindful of the spring clip holding the bulb socket in place. Take a photo of it before removal, and cover the opening with a cloth in case the spring clip launches somewhere into your engine bay....

Thanks- that worked perfectly and did indeed take about 15 minutes

zelatore

Explorer

This is good to know! I'd hate to drop my bumper just to do a bulb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears