LR3 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mph

Expedition Leader
I have a friend who is looking at a used LR3 to build up for offroad use and camping. What should he look out for or look for with buying an LR3? What should he know about LR3s? Thanks for your help and insights. I have looked at past posts, etc. He will be doing most of his travels in Utah. Thanks again, Mike

MattScott

Approved Vendor
It's always for a friend...

Hopefully Jwestpro comments on this, his LR3 is sick, infact he should just buy his.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
According to information posted here recently it would seem important to check the control arms for cracks or other potential signs of failure.

Maintenance history is incredibly important on these things. Be sure it has been dealer serviced and that all updates and TSBs have been performed. Don't buy an '05; they were arriving to us off the trucks with 6-8" of standing water in them from failed sunroof drains and A-pillar seals. These trucks were stripped inside, dried out, re-assembled and sold as new. They are now beginning to suffer from corrosion-related electrical failures stemming from the soaking they got when new.

Engines/trans and the rest of the drivetrain seems very reliable. Check all the suspension bushings and ball joints for wear. Brakes can be expensive to replace; check their condition.

I have not seen many other consistent failures associated with higher mileage trucks. They seem reiable and robust for the most part.

muskyman

Explorer
My comment was about one that hard faulted this weekend and dropped to the bump stops.

it self healed over the next 24 hours but still a example of how air and electricity are things better left at out of a trail rig.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
My comment was about one that hard faulted this weekend and dropped to the bump stops.

it self healed over the next 24 hours but still a example of how air and electricity are things better left at out of a trail rig.

How many Discos broke parts that didn't heal?

muskyman

Explorer
2 tires cut from the razor sharp granite...no other failures.

and we were driving mud covered rocks and deep water crossings all weekend.

I lead the advanced group and we pretty much looked for the all the new trails that had been broken by the logging equipment that had cut a bunch of the higher ridges of the area. This area of the National Forest we were in is all super steep granite cliffs with sedimented washes between the rock out croppings so you end up filling the tires with mud right before you climb a granite ledge.

Picture Moab with mud in all the cracks:D

I like the fact that Charlie brought his LR3 out for the ride, there is also lots of stuff in the area for very stock trucks and its great to see them out there using them for that aspect of the design. Should he have bought a 04 DII? I dont think so, the LR3 carries more gear and dogs in his case and the amount of total off roading he will do overall the LR3 should be a good truck for him.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
I think its awesome charles wheels his LR3; and I think (personally) it looks alot better than a DII with the black wheels and lights.

Mike_rupp

Adventurer

I've seen a LR3 do the same thing without a drop of water in sight. The only adverse conditions were dust.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Regarding the LR3 this most specifically references software and module updates that affect things like the climate control, engine management, and transmission management. Newer LR3s are more up-to-date than earlier trucks, so it would be important that a 2005 or 2006 model had been updated at the dealer.

Admittedly I'm a luddite, but that statement right there, about any vehicle, should eliminate it from the list of serious overlanding or trail rigs.

muskyman

Explorer
I've seen a LR3 do the same thing without a drop of water in sight. The only adverse conditions were dust.

Admittedly I'm a luddite, but that statement right there, about any vehicle, should eliminate it from the list of serious overlanding or trail rigs.

see the common theme?

I agree, that the LR3 isnt the right truck for overlanding, Had Charlie been 50 miles down a tough trail he would been screwed and damned to dragging the undercarraige over stuff to get it outa there or wait it out.

People here will of coarse come tell me I am wrong:rolleyes: but the LR3 is not and never will be a real destination type truck for off road. Simplicity is what you need for a good destination truck and the LR3 is just way to complicated .

"the more you overwork the pipes the easier it is to stop up the drain"

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
(Emphasis added)
Regarding the LR3 this most specifically references software and module updates that affect things like the climate control, engine management, and transmission management. Newer LR3s are more up-to-date than earlier trucks, so it would be important that a 2005 or 2006 model had been updated at the dealer.
Like I said....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12