LR3/LR4 Roof Storage

suburbanjo

Adventurer
Hello everyone. I'm getting ready to order some lasered and bent aluminum sheetmetal for this storage box. I was considering making more than one (or maybe just the un-welded aluminum components) to spread the love on setup costs.

This will provide roughly 30-32 cubic feet of roof storage and will weight about 160 lbs empty without the lights or solar panel. It's 15" from the main bottom to the top of the lid. The chamfered lid will hinge on the front and open about 30-45 degrees with gas springs. I'm also contemplating on adding an integrated (recessed inside box with access door) bat wing awning... maybe now or later. On mine I'll be adding a house battery inside up front with the solar (for lights and my fridge) and then the harness will run down the front driver's column. I'll need to add at least one side ladder connecting the box to the frame and I'll probably modify to add a few more lights on sides and back.

I have 4 kids plus wife so I only have 1 side of the 3rd row for fridge, kitchen, and food storage, and some smaller camping items. This added roof storage should give me enough room for our the balance of our camping gear. PM me if you're interested and I can share more info.

Attachments

• lr3_lr4_roof_box.pdf
    531.9 KB · Views: 66
Not to jump on your party as this is a very creative idea; my recommendation would be to make this as a cowling and out of gelcoat/fiberglass which somehow connects to an existing and tested roof rack. There will be no problem supporting the lights or solar panel.

Just my two cents! Interested to see this come together, thanks for sharing.

JackW

Explorer
I think that is way too much weight that high - plus the house battery should be under the hood. The shock loads for a battery mounted that high would be magnified and batteries are heavy!

suburbanjo

Adventurer
Thanks for the suggestion on fiberglass cowling. I guess I picked aluminum for rigidity and familiarity (to me). I also need box sides for stacking goods rather than cowling. I really do appreciate the feedback!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I too would be concerned about weight. You are over-riding the center of gravity advantage of the unibody on frame construction. 32C.U. is a lot. Have you experimented with conventional roof boxes first, before you go through that process of fabrication?

A Yakima Skybox 21 will hold a lot:
yakima-skybox-21-carbonite.jpg

As does a ROLA Platapus roof bag:
platroofb.jpg

I personally have used both, and didn't need more, but I was only camping with 2 kids, not 4.

suburbanjo

Adventurer
BajaRack - Self Weight 90lbs, 300 lbs dynamic load rating = 390 lbs

Approx 150 lbs empty leaves 250 lbs gear and I don't think I'll put anywhere near that much weight up there.

Not suggesting aftermarket suppliers are benchmark but thought was interesting. It'll be important to watch the roof load but it's really not as severe as one might think. A 2.5 lift with 2 inch diameter bigger tire is approximately 3.5 inch raise to center of gravity. Approximating the cg at GVWR to be about 30 inches without lift, an added weight of 270 lbs at 79 inches woild be about the same as the lifted truck. So over 300 lbs total starts getting into stability concerns I'd say. If you think about this being like driving an LR3 with a couple guys strapped to the roof (don't try this at home;) ) it does n't seem like quite as much. The volume makes it seem a lot more heavy and tippy than it'll be I think.

suburbanjo

Adventurer
I too would be concerned about weight. You are over-riding the center of gravity advantage of the unibody on frame construction. 32C.U. is a lot. Have you experimented with conventional roof boxes first, before you go through that process of fabrication?

A Yakima Skybox 21 will hold a lot:
yakima-skybox-21-carbonite.jpg

As does a ROLA Platapus roof bag:
platroofb.jpg

I personally have used both, and didn't need more, but I was only camping with 2 kids, not 4.

Thanks nwoods! I actually have a 21 cu ft skybox that I may end up using this time around.. If I use it something will have to go. 6 people plus camping gear requires some space and I really enjoy the 60L arb so that hogs some room too. I'd also like to have a little more space volume so we can pack up faster. We spend too much extra time packing.

It's always a compromise!

but suggestion noted and thanks!

Last edited:
Personally not something I need but that’s a creative idea. I am more interested in that CAD model of the LR3 you have, where did you get that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78