LR3 Making all kinds of weird noises (Drivetrain)

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
SO this one has me stumped. Its my buddies 2008 LR3 with 112K miles.

I've been helping him out with it. We installed a coil conversion kit on it since the whole system was toast from the previous owner.

Since then we have been able to drive it, since its not sitting on the bump stops anymore.

From the back wheels it sounds like the brakes are worn out and dragging, but the brake pads are nearly new. The parking brake seems to work fine as well. I've been under the car trying to find anything rubbing. I can't find anything. I've even gone as far as trying to see if the brake shields might be rubbing on the rotors. But they are not touching anything either. I'm stumped. I'm really hoping the rear differential isn't going out. I check the rear driveshaft and it seems in good condition. Nothing obvious there as well.

At the front of the vehicle it seems like the bearings are going out. The sound only happens when you decelerate or let off the gas pedal. I replaced the drivers side front bearing because it sounded like it was going out. The front driverside CV has also been replaced. After replacing the wheel bearing, it still sounds the same. I checked the front driveshaft and it does not appear to have anything wrong with it either.

He also had it aligned a few weeks ago after we installed the coil spring conversion kit. The tires are pretty cupped. But I told him not to replace those yet. He has been having them rotated to help get rid of the cupping, but that doesn't seem to be fixing it. I'm sure the tires are making some sort of noise, but until we know about the rear diff, I told him not to put new tires on it yet. He wants to put some oversized 18" tires on it.

At this point I'm hoping someone on here has gone through this kind of situation before. Or knows what might be going on. He has finally taken my advice and is going to take it to Land Rover of Centerville, Utah for an inspection. Throwing money at it by replacing half the drive train doesn't seem too smart.

Thanks

perkj

Explorer
check to make sure the wheel weights on the rims aren't hitting the caliper...some of the weights are too tall. Had this happen to me when I got my new tires installed. Took me a couple weeks to finally figure out what was causing the noise.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
I checked that the other day. I didn't see any rubbing from the tires on any suspension components. He is still running the stock sized wheels (19") and tires

Gunnslinger

Adventurer
I had a similar sound in my 2009 LR3 at just under 60k miles. Turned out to be the friction clutches in the (locking) rear differential. Sound was apparent at speeds below 20mph, when decelerating, when accelerating from a stop, especially in a left turn, sometimes in a right turn and sometimes when going straight ahead.

ColoDisco

Explorer
Been there, spent a lot of time in denial of the rear diff needing to be rebuilt. Finally bought the kit from Todd. Noise gone. Have purchased the front kit even though it is not making noise, plan to preemptively rebuild the front this fall.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Been there, spent a lot of time in denial of the rear diff needing to be rebuilt. Finally bought the kit from Todd. Noise gone. Have purchased the front kit even though it is not making noise, plan to preemptively rebuild the front this fall.

Do you have a link for the kit. How long did it take you to rebuild the diff?

ColoDisco

Explorer
PM him directly. He is unseenone on here. Easier to talk to him directly. I have never seen a website. I have a full shop at my disposal. Took me about 8 hours, had complications with my exhaust. PO welded the complete magnaflow system from the manifolds back. That's a whole other story. I also did not use the crush sleeve as it requires too much force to crush it. I used the old one and tightened it based on feel, having rebuilt diffs before.

Last edited:

jymmiejamz

Adventurer
FYI you don't need to remove the exhaust to pull the rear diff. If you loosen the mounts you can lower the exhaust down enough to get the diff in and out.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Just to update. Both front and rear diffs were shot. Had someone else replace them with used ones.

Back one went out again. Luckily they gave my friend a 90 day warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12