LR3 Market.

DrMoab

Explorer
Hey guys. Being a Jeep owner I don't know much about Land Rovers so I figured this would be the best place to ask.

How big is the LR3 market? I might have the oprotunity to sell some new aftermarket parts for them that were just outlawed in the U.K.

You will all laugh but I don't even know what an LR3 is. I'm just curious if there is a lot of people who are outfitting these with aftermarket parts.

Thanks.

05LR3AZ

Adventurer
There aren't so many LR3's sold as other 4x4 vehicles, say, a 4Runner...but there are quite a few LR3 owners who are increasingly modifying their vehicles. Tires are probably the first mod...

I love my LR3 :sombrero: the parts are just more expensive than if I were modifying a Toyota though :mad:

DrMoab

Explorer
What type of aftermarket stuff?
And why was it outlawed in the UK?

Front Bull Bars. I just found out they are actual LR factory parts. I guess the U.K. just passed a law banning anything on the front of the vehicle other than the factory bumper. Well they outlawed the sale of such items. You can have them on a vehicle if it was put there before this law went into effect or if you build it yourself.

This guy has 1700 of them. We are thinking of shipping them over here and selling them on Ebay. I'm just not sure of the market for such an item.

TeriAnn

Explorer
Front Bull Bars. I just found out they are actual LR factory parts.

This guy has 1700 of them. We are thinking of shipping them over here and selling them on Ebay. I'm just not sure of the market for such an item.

The factory ones are plastic & they may or may not fit US spec bumpers.

Seriously I doubt if you would be able to give that many away for free. People who want them got them with their new truck. People who are kitting up for off road likely bought the ARB bumpers.

I wouldn't do it if it were offered to me free.

DrMoab

Explorer

Seriously I doubt if you would be able to give that many away for free. People who want them got them with their new truck. People who are kitting up for off road likely bought the ARB bumpers.

I wouldn't do it if it were offered to me free.

Hmmm that's good to know. I have to look into exactly what these are. It won't cost me anything but time. The only thing I will have to do on this end is deal with the container (actually four forty foot containers) when they arrive. They are paying for everything and just giving me a cut of the purchace price.

nwoods

Expedition Leader

They will fit, and actually, the plastic ones are more functional than the metal ones :)

In my personal opinion, the LR Genuine accessories are all pretty non-functional, and are primarily for cosmetics only. That doesn't mean they won't sell, its just that your target audience is those that bought their LR because of the marketing, instead of the intended use.

DrMoab

Explorer
They will fit, and actually, the plastic ones are more functional than the metal ones :)

In my personal opinion, the LR Genuine accessories are all pretty non-functional, and are primarily for cosmetics only. That doesn't mean they won't sell, its just that your target audience is those that bought their LR because of the marketing, instead of the intended use.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. On a website like this its easy to get a jaded opinion because most of us have a specific purpose in mind for our vehicles.

There is a whole other market out there. Especially with more expensive 4X4 vehicles. The "I want to look like I use my vehcile off road but it will never see dirt" crowd. I think that market is fairly sizeable.

WoldD90

Adventurer
95% of the trucks will never be modified or used like they should... The LR3 factory brush bars are pretty ugly, but I do see them on the road. So, if you could get a good price and them and start with a small sample size, like 100, you could do a pilot to see if it will be worth it.

Snagger

Explorer
I think a lot of people who loove their D3s will have second thoughts when they need to replace their clutches or engine drive belts. The LR specified method of clutch replacement takes 15 hours of labour (at over £110 per hour), involving separating and lifting the body away from the chassis, and £900 of parts. Non-franchised garages will take even longer if they lack the special tools.

It is the manifestation of modern crap design, where manufacturers choose to employ new graduates in the design offices instead of experienced engineers, so no thought is given to maintenance simplicity.

muskyman

Explorer
I think a lot of people who loove their D3s will have second thoughts when they need to replace their clutches or engine drive belts. The LR specified method of clutch replacement takes 15 hours of labour (at over £110 per hour), involving separating and lifting the body away from the chassis, and £900 of parts. Non-franchised garages will take even longer if they lack the special tools.

It is the manifestation of modern crap design, where manufacturers choose to employ new graduates in the design offices instead of experienced engineers, so no thought is given to maintenance simplicity.

You have to pull the engine on a powerstroke Ford to drop the oil pan.

this kinda crap is everywhere in cars and trucks these days.

the engineers are morons and service is a scam!

I will keep my old junk thanks you.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader

And what first-hand knowledge do you have?

I worked there. It is true that most of the experienced engineers were retired a few years back. But the current state of vehicle engineering is not to be blamed on the new engineers. The simple fact is, this type of engineering just not done. Why is it not done? Because the vast majority of the customers don't care. They want a huge engine shoe-horned into a small vehicle. The whole thing is designed to go together in a factory, and nobody cares about service.

It is the customers who are morons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman