LR3 Oil Pan bolt trouble!

rcharrette

Adventurer
Well, yesterday turned into a disaster. We've been traveling now for 7 months towing our camper with our 08' LR3. We are currently in Burlington, WA and luckily camping in a friends driveway. I had the oil changed at a quick lube shop back in Eureka, CA and just came due for another now so I figured I'd just do it myself since I was in a good spot here. I dropped the skid plate which only had 2 bolts holding it on (red flag) and then put a wrench on the oil pan bolt. With no pressure the bolt came loose. My heart sank. I drained the oil and went to reinstall the bolt and there are no threads left. I can see threads in the pan but the bolt just flops around in there and nothing grabs! Tried a brand new bolt as well. So, I've ordered a helicoil kit and that's going to be my project on Tuesday. Wish me luck!
I've learned my lesson, no more quick lube places! I don't care if I have to drop my oil in the Auto Zone parking lot. I'm doing it myself........

perkj

Explorer
Sucks man. I feel for ya. Once you have that helicoil on you never have to worry about it again

rcharrette

Adventurer
Thats what I'm hoping. I've never done a helicoil so I've been studying up on YouTube videos while I'm waiting for it. Seems pretty straight forward, just need to take that first leap with the drill!!

A.J.M

Explorer
Did you get new sump bolts for the guard since they kindly left you with 2.

Do they do the oil filter at the same time? Would be checking that's in properly if they did that...

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Fumoto!

save yourself the pain and suffering, buy the next larger size fumoto or similar drain valve, drill and tap the pan for it, and install.

I've run them on every vehicle for the last 16 years at least and never looked back. My new cars now get a valve at the first oil change!

ColoDisco

Explorer
Good trick to getting the drill shavings when drilling is coating the drill bit with grease. Same with the tap. As a added safety measure there is a screen on the oil pick up.

Sorry about the quick lube. I have never been to one however I have repaired several of their screw ups.

rcharrette

Adventurer
Great tip on the grease for the bit and tap! I've been thinking about how to minimize shavings since yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eloist

Adventurer
First time I changed the oil on my lr3 I dropped the plate and happily found a fumoto valve installed. It has changed oil changes for me forever.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

dlh62c

Explorer
I've learned my lesson, no more quick lube places! I don't care if I have to drop my oil in the Auto Zone parking lot. I'm doing it myself........

Is there supposed to be a copper crush washer between the oil pan and the bolt?

It usually ends up in the oil drain pan and isn't noticed until you've refilled the engine with new oil and while dumping the used oil.

ColoDisco

Explorer
It's a aluminum pan so no copper washer. Generally only see copper washers with steel pans. Factory drain plug has a seal built into it, at the dealer we change them with every oil change.

LR Max

Local Oaf
With helicoil, use locktite. Otherwise you'll have issues with the coil backing out. Also thoroughly clean everything, so, brake cleaner. Oil, obviously, won't help it stay.

I'd say after the helicoil install, keep the skid plate off (unless you are off roading and think you'll need it. Keep checking the torque on the bolt to see if it holds. This is easier than dropping all of your oil and seizing your engine (which is a bad time).

rcharrette

Adventurer
LR Max, thanks for the tip's. The guy at the auto parts store also suggested Loctite then in all the video's I watched nobody used it so I was backing off that. I will now use it though. Should I just use blue or something stronger? Todays the day, just waiting for parts to arrive. Gotta get this thing fixed and off the wheel ramps before my buddy's HOA starts giving him a hard time :) I'll have another 5 days here before we move on up and cross into Canada so I'll leave the plates off as you suggest.
Thanks again everyone.

ColoDisco

Explorer
I would use red loctite to ensure it stays. Couple cans of brake clean to clean up the area prior to installing the helicoil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12