LR3 Questions

KD702

I will admit I have no experience with Land Rovers, but I found a 2008 LR3 for sale that got me thinking. I have been looking for a decent vehicle for my son to drive as he is just turning 16. This thing is pretty clean, but has 180k on it. They are only asking $3500 for it. Am I right to think this could be an expensive venture just in repairs for one of these? Again.....I know nothing about these. If it was a 2008 Toyota I'd probably worry less about the cost of repairs, since I have more knowledge of them. The Land Rovers have always been intriguing to me. I am interested to hear people's thoughts on this.
KD

gabrielef

I would ask for maintenance history, pull a CarFax to see what history is there, and take it to a pre-buy inspection.

On the LR3 you want to see when the lower control arms were replaced (not expensive these days), when any of the suspension components have been replaced (air springs, compressor, valve blocks), and when the last time the water pump, thermostat housing, and which of the 8 cooling pipes have been replaced.

These are not hard items to do yourself if you don’t mind wrenching a bit, and that will keep the cost of ownership down.

Replaced all the fluids (differential, transfer case, transmission, and engine oil).

The valve covers can start seeping oil at high mileage.

Thankfully, most LR3 parts have decent aftermarket options and are less expensive. Even some OE parts have come down in price.

My ‘06 LR3 has 313K miles on it, and I just keep at it. I love my rig and will have it forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nwoods

Expedition Leader
So, two different issues, suitability for a 16 year old, and maintenance costs for a 180k mile LR3
1. Suitability: Outstanding. I sold my LR3 to a guy who continued to drive the crap out of it (lots of off-roading) and then ultimately passed it down to his daughter. She totaled it in a crash, and walked away without a scratch. It's built like a tank. A full body on frame design, with air bags everywhere, and Saftey beams in the doors, and all that. Excellent visibility, excellent brakes, superb turning radius, great handling (low center of gravity), and terrific traction and stability systems for implement weather conditions. It even has a decent sound system (terrible cd player though), and unparalleled flexibility in cargo and storage options. I might suggest removing the 3rd row because you really don't want your teen to be driving 7 people all at once, but that's entirely up to you.

2. Hard to say. You would think with that many miles on it, all the major maintainence would have been done. The V8 is really reliable, though there are a few plastic bits (coolant hose joints) that need upgrading to aluminum. Brakes are stone simple to change, and all the major maintainence is pretty straightward to perform, other than suspension calibration. I highly recommend a GAP DIAGNOSTIC IID TOOL to stay on top of the electronics. Transmissions are incredibly expensive, and there was a run of rear diffs that needed servicing, mostly all done under Warranty. Don't skimp on oil fluids. The factory periodicity is way too long between changes for all the components. Oh, the seat leather is crap. A nice set of seat covers should be in mind should you pull the trigger on this thing.

douglastic

Best vehicle purchase I have ever made. I do all my own service/repairs.
LR specific forums are a wealth of pre-purchase info, post-purchase how-to, and "been there fixed that".

Besides the info above, buy one from a DRY CLIMATE.
I truly believe un-addressed water leaks, and rust/rot are the source of most issues ppl have with these.

gmtech

Observer
i am also in market for an LR3. if you know of any for sale in the greater mid west could you post a link? thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior