LR3 Rear suspension insight needed.

LKLK

It is time to take care of my lr3 rear struts. I'm having some difficulty on what decision to make. My original plan was to go for the Arnott rear struts, but have also considered the Bilstein B6 4600 shocks. What has everyone else done? what worked out well for you?

ar4me

Adventurer
As part of keeping my LR4 reliable I replaced all 4 struts with Arnott earlier this year - no issues, no regrets.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Uhhh...please explain a bit more.

The rear LR3 air struts are shocks AND springs all in one unit. The Bilsteins are just shocks. Therefore by themselves, they won't work.

I would say just use Arnott since I don't think your alternative is even a viable option.

merr1ca

I am pretty sure that bilstein makes a bag/shock kit for both the front and rear. It was tricky to find, but it may a worthwhile upgrade if you do hard use type driving.

LKLK

Uhhh...please explain a bit more.

The rear LR3 air struts are shocks AND springs all in one unit. The Bilsteins are just shocks. Therefore by themselves, they won't work.

I would say just use Arnott since I don't think your alternative is even a viable option.

Bilstein is quite an available option. They require the air bag to be transferred over. They have a great reputation and good quality. I want to know if anyone has used them.

LKLK

I am pretty sure that bilstein makes a bag/shock kit for both the front and rear. It was tricky to find, but it may a worthwhile upgrade if you do hard use type driving.

Thank you merr1ca. I appreciate your insight.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Ah I see it now. Very interesting. Best part? They are available from 4 Wheel Parts! LOL

Kindly pricey though. But Bilstein has a good reputation. If its a street truck and you like performance, that is probably a good option.

Jwestpro

Explorer

No, in fact they do not. Only full strut kit for front ready to drop in place.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Bilstein is quite an available option. They require the air bag to be transferred over. They have a great reputation and good quality. I want to know if anyone has used them.

I have the front ones on and have not found the necessary key part to complete a rear combination. I do not wish to take apart the original strut just to retrieve the missing part. This has been a big annoyance to be honest.

Jwestpro

Explorer
It is time to take care of my lr3 rear struts. I'm having some difficulty on what decision to make. My original plan was to go for the Arnott rear struts, but have also considered the Bilstein B6 4600 shocks. What has everyone else done? what worked out well for you?

You could simply use factory parts from one of the usual suppliers. I have heard some people not have the best results with Arnott though I'm not sure under what conditions.

FYI I replaced all 8 control arms and all other suspension parts last year myself. There is an important part that does not come with either the damper or a new factory air spring kit. So now I have all those nice new parts just waiting for when I have it in me to try sorting it out again. The front end feels great though with the 4600 full strut replacement kit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998