LR3 Sears Diehard Platinum question

lwg

For those of you with LR3's that have replaced the factory battery with the Diehard Platinum, which one did you use? The only one I see that is a pretty close fit is the Group 34 or P-1. However there are still a few minor issues with it.

1) Looks like the factory tie down won't work. I'll have to get a regular ol' battery tie down with some longer bolts.

2) Since the positive & negative posts are backwards I have to move both of them further inward, not a problem for the negative terminal however the positive terminal now exposes part of the cable to the engine bay. Do most of you just nip off the rubber gromment and reseat it closer to the battery terminal? I'm worried the plastic from the battery box will eventually wear through this wires insulation if something isn't there.

Basically just wanting to make sure I'm not making this harder than it should be.

BTW, I just checked and they have the Platinums on sale right now, P-1 would normally be $219 is listing as $175 this morning. I'm going to head back in and see about getting a few bucks back when I drop off my core.

PhyrraM

Adventurer
The website shows an H7/94R size that should work with the factory cable and hold-down. It's a Gold, not a Platinum. I have used an Autozone battery in that size without issues before.

Why deal with the fitment issues when alternatives are available?

lwg

The website shows an H7/94R size that should work with the factory cable and hold-down. It's a Gold, not a Platinum. I have used an Autozone battery in that size without issues before.

Why deal with the fitment issues when alternatives are available?

I prefer the Platinum as it's made by Odyssey and has a great warranty. I have two Odyssey's in my DII and love them.

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
I dont know that you can fit a Diehard Platinum in an LR3. I tried with my 06. You can find the right size, the problem is the terminals are on the wrong side. Therefore the battery wires will not reach. You may be able to have battery cables made that will fit, but the stock ones wont. I had to go with an OReilly's battery. An optima may be an alternative for you. I was in a small town and needed a new battery in a pinch so, that is why I went with the OReilly's.

PhyrraM

Adventurer
I prefer the Interstate MTP-49/H8 which fits perfectly.

That reminds me...

Do the Platinums have the port for the vent hose? There have been reports of "normal" batteries corroding the fuse panel and the transmission ECU when the battery can't be properly vented.

As an AGM battery they might be sealed..?

I've been reading on the Odyssey and the Platinums. Manufactured by Enersys. We have good luck with Enersys batteries (and chargers) in our forklifts at work. As long as they work with the LR3s slightly 'off' voltages and they can work with the vent hose, they seem like a fine choice.

lwg

That reminds me...

Do the Platinums have the port for the vent hose? There have been reports of "normal" batteries corroding the fuse panel and the transmission ECU when the battery can't be properly vented.

As an AGM battery they might be sealed..?

I've been reading on the Odyssey and the Platinums. Manufactured by Enersys. We have good luck with Enersys batteries (and chargers) in our forklifts at work. As long as they work with the LR3s slightly 'off' voltages and they can work with the vent hose, they seem like a fine choice.

They are sealed, the vent is not needed. They will vent a little bit of hydrogen but that box isn't airtight so it'll be fine.

Regarding the cables, they are actually long enough and will work. I'm going to fiddle with it tonight and see what I can come up with. It physically fits in there, just need to create a proper tiedown and makes some changes to the positive battery terminal.

unseenone

Explorer
The Interstate has the vent port. On the corrosion the LR3 / D3 has a tendency to corrode at the negative terminal. The best thing to do is to carefully clean and inspect the negative cable. If you find corrosion you will want to check the body side as well. I replaced the negative cable, I used baking soda to carefully clean the battery box, battery and area, rinsed it, dried it (air dry) and then use 3M electronic sealer on the terminal after fitting the cable. The batteries have a tendency to off gas at the negative terminal for some strange reason.

The Interstate is often installed at the dealer and is 100% acceptable as a replacement battery. There are a few pictures of cleaning the battery box, inspecting the negative cable here. There are some pictures of a 2nd battery install here.

lwg

Well I thought I had the Diehard Platinum figured out last night. However after realizing that the Negative Battery Cable would have to be remade AND it looks to be 1GA wire I decided to throw in the towel. I have plenty of 2GA wire but don't want to go and buy everything needed to make the negative cable just to make this work. And to be honest the RC of the Platinum (and Oddysey's in general) isn't exactly an industry best.

That being said I'm going to return it and pickup the Diehard Advanced Gold AGM Group 94R which is a direct replacement. It has a 36 month warranty and is apparently made by Deka which was my second choice (Coincedentally the Deka eq battery only has a 24 mo warranty). It'll actually save me a few bucks and is still far superior to the factory battery and no worries about the battery puking all over the harness as others have mentioned.

JAK

JAK:JeremySnow
Here is my two cents on a the Sears Battery. I just had a year old Platinum Marine battery die on me. I was on a trip when a cell must have shorted. I was reading 10V at the terminals. As I was using this as my second battery I was OK. I have the Interstate as the main battery and it has held up for 3 years. It is an 85 month battery and been doing just fine. I replaced the battery with a Optima Blue Top, this was the only marine battery I could find in Bishop, Ca. I had to leave the old battery there as I did not have a safe place to carry it in the truck. Even though the battery had a dead cell, it could still push a couple of hundred amps out at 10V. I did all the research on the Platinum/Oddessy. I am personally done with all things Sears/Die Hard/Craftsman. I have had to many of there tools not fit bolts. While their warranty may be lifetime, the hassel of a 10mm wrench only fitting a 3/8" bolt on the trail is not worth it. It is really a shame that the brand has suffered so much. I have as many as four wrenches in a 20 piece set not fit. The first set of tools my dad bought me over 25 years ago are still growing strong. I would hate to bring any of the old good Craftsman tools in for replacement and end up with the newer and inferior samples.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears