LR3 stalling on inclines

chirigringo

Adventurer
This weekend I was decending a very steep slope in the LR3 (2006 V8) when I decided to back up to take a different line. As I started backing up the engine bogged down severely and then stalled completely. I put it in park and tried to restart with no luck after many attempts. I was able to safely coast off the hill and get the truck to flat ground where it eventually started again but when I got to the next steep downhill slope it did it again. I was sitting at just shy of 1/4 tank when it happened the first time. I also started getting suspension system faults (right rear ride height sensor) immediately following the first stall. Then the suspension compressor started overheating. I was able to clear the faults with my IIDtool (thank you Lucky8!) and get moving again each time. My hunch is I had two separate but coincidental issues but wanted to throw it out there to see what people think. Anyone else experienced stalling on steep slopes?
-Michael

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I'm wondering if the Stability Control system (anti-roll-over system) was triggered by the pitch of the slope. At any time, were you less than parallel (in other wirds, sideways to the slope)?

Desert Dan

Explorer
Were you in low range? Did the wheels spin when you tried to back up?
As you said it may have been multiple systems kicking in?

Big Brother?

chirigringo

Adventurer
Now that you mention it, at one point I got crossed up, as in opposite wheels in the air, and it did light up the stability control warning. It continued to light up though when the ride height sensor fault was triggered so I assumed it was tied to that fault. One thing I'm going to have to get used to with the LR3, as compared to my old Disoveries, is the amount of information the truck throws at you in offroad scenarios and how to filter out what I need to know.
I did have it in low range and the wheels did spin as I tried to back up. At first I thought the special programs were preventing me from goosing the throttle as it bogged down but when it stalled I knew something was wrong.
Big brother?! Is the NSA tapping into my ECU now? Crap. Now they're probably monitoring my forum posts, too.

Last edited:

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Depending on how steep the slope was its likely you are just starving it for fuel, with less than 1/4 tank. The LR3 tank is long, so fore/aft pitching really moves the fuel around.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Ah, sounds like you left DSC on. Rule of thumb, as soon as you hit dirt, kill DSC. That will allow wheelspin to a certain degree. Traction Control will still be engaged, but it won't override your throttle settings. DSC is evil

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Depending on how steep the slope was its likely you are just starving it for fuel, with less than 1/4 tank. The LR3 tank is long, so fore/aft pitching really moves the fuel around.

That *should* not be the issue. There are two pick up points in the tank, one fore and one aft. Also, the tank is pressurized specifically so the suction from the pump can draw fuel from any attitude. Which is part of the reason the fuel cap is so blasted important to a smooth running LR3.

Mack73

Adventurer
Isn't there a recall on a pipe coming disconnected in the tank? But I think that was just 2005 vehicles, or maybe early 2006.

My stalling issue was releated to a dirty throttle body/maf. Get some throttle body and MAF cleaner and give it a good cleaning. Shouldn't take more than a couple minutes.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Isn't there a recall on a pipe coming disconnected in the tank? But I think that was just 2005 vehicles, or maybe early 2006.
Yes, that's true, there was a TSB on the fuel tanks for the first few model years. The fix was to replace the entire tank because the fuel pump assembly in integral and virtually inaccessbile. There was a quite a short of tanks for a while due this, right about the time I trail modified my first tank on a large rock.

chirigringo

Adventurer
I did clean the MAF a few months ago when I was having idle problems which did help. It was really dirty. I'll have another look at it this weekend.
The truck is a 2006. I don't have service records from prior ownership so I guess I'll be calling the dealership tomorrow to see if I can determine whether the gas tank was under recall and whether it was replaced. I assume if it wasn't done and should have been, it's on my dime now. Correct?

unseenone

Explorer
I suggest a BG Valve / Injector service for the older models. The dealers have been seeing a large number of them coming in with valves so gummed up they don't fully close. I had mine done, still too early to report results...

KyleT

Explorer
The recall was for more than just the pump...

You can replace the pump separately if needed. Not exactly easy or fun but it can be done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger