LR3 suspension coil conversion switch cover.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
image.jpgI'm about to convert my wife's LR3 to coils. I'm going to go with the 2" OME Kit from British Atlantic. That's all decided. But a couple of years ago there was a post about a cover for the suspension height control switch inside the cab. I can seem to find it. Dose any body remember it or know the Part number for the delete cover? I'm not going to be able to look at that switch if it doesn't work.

Last edited:

Ray_G

Explorer
Don't do it, EAS is what makes a Rover a Rover-if you convert to coils it may as well be a jeep!!!!!!!!
You will lose cross linking, load leveling, 45hp, endure male pattern baldness, and be excommunicated by the pope.....

...I am obviously kidding, but just need to add some Facebook commentary in here.

In all seriousness, if someone figures out that switch blank I would be grateful. I looked into it for a min after conversion but didn't find anything with a hasty google search. May be time to go back to the effort.
r-
Ray

Ray_G

Explorer
So now I remember why I stopped; from what I gathered (and your pic clearly illustrates either a quasi factory or nicely done homemade alternative) is that the LR part that doesn't have the air suspension up/down switch also doesn't have the Terrain Response dial. I.e. it is p/n YUD500690WUX.L8
LR Direct link

At the cost I decided it wasn't worth it-and didn't explore figuring out a homemade alternative but if someone does...I'm def keen on replication.

YUD500690WUX-500x505.JPG

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Good to know. We have a leak in one of the from Air coils and at the front leveling Valve. As well as one or two other things my wife didn't mention were wrong with the truck. I drove it for the first time in 6 months last week and the warning lights lit up like Christmas. Needs Brakes, oil change, two tire have slow leaks, EAS Yellow Light pops on after five minutes of driving or the first big bump. Something got poured all over the train response controllers and now the height work switch doesn't work. All in all I just wanted to air suspension so that will be one less thing I have to work on in the future all in all I just wanted to air suspension so that will be one less thing I have to work on in the future. Trucks are pavement queen anyway, so I just have to decide if I'm going to get the 2" OME or the Regular AB kit.

Last edited:

Ray_G

Explorer
Unless its only ever going to be solely a mall crawler, go with the OME +2 kit (since you need new tires...here's an opportunity to get a little larger than stock!).

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Unless its only ever going to be solely a mall crawler, go with the OME +2 kit (since you need new tires...here's an opportunity to get a little larger than stock!).

That was my thought.
I am a little bummed they haven't worked out a way to disable the red suspension fault light

Ray_G

Explorer
That was my thought.
I am a little bummed they haven't worked out a way to disable the red suspension fault light

Hardwire the black (orange) box; no lights. Derek just did it w/his, worked perfect.

No idea why mine was a failure, par for the course for me.

I posted a wanted thread over on D3.uk to see if anyone over there has just the blanking piece to see if we can replicate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
That would be awesome on the blank if we could track one down I bet it could be remade on a 3D printer.

Oh I was able to talk my wife into letting me keep the TDI! I threatened her with and ARB bumper and a roof rack on the LR3

Ray_G

Explorer
Ride is nice. Starts out a little firm till everything settles in. My wife couldn't tell the difference, a friend with an EAS Rover contends the coils are better than aged air struts-given the ride in his truck, I concur.

On the switch blank front I have a line on one from the UK. Then we just need to find someone who can use it to make 3D copies.
r-
Ray

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
That's awesome on the cover. let me known if you track someone down. I also know someone in Austin that has a prototyping company and might be able to get him to make some if he can fit it in. but keep I'm in the loop and I'll be happy to through in so coin to help in the process.

also do you have the Standard OME coils or the heavy coils?

Ray_G

Explorer
That's awesome on the cover. let me known if you track someone down. I also know someone in Austin that has a prototyping company and might be able to get him to make some if he can fit it in. but keep I'm in the loop and I'll be happy to through in so coin to help in the process.

also do you have the Standard OME coils or the heavy coils?

As far as I can tell, the Atlantic British 'premium' kit is the one that comes with Old Man Emu 'Heavy Duty' springs as part of the strut that gives you about 2" of lift. I don't know if there are heavier duty coils from OME-believe there are some in the AUS market, I'm actually going to start looking at that. Nwoods had some, I believe, back in the day from King so if he scans through here he might comment.

That said, the OME kit is quite good, I carry a fair amount of weight on a daily basis in terms of add ons and internally with tools/recovery gear and it seems none the worse for wear. If I load it all the way down with gear and people it will sag just slightly compared to her 'normal' stance but it nearly imperceptible. If I were going to go on a long haul trip heavily loaded I'd consider some 1/2" spacers in the back, maybe.

The switch blank has hit a snag, dude wants $36GBP to ship a portion of a $30GBP part (ebay.uk)...which is madness. So I'm confirming that is what he meant before figuring out alternatives. I got a whole box from LR direct for like $20GBP three weeks ago.
r-
Ray

Colin Hughes

Explorer
So I'm looking very seriously at doing the coil swap. I'm looking at the 2" lift AB kit but they seem to have an HD kit as well. What I'm wondering is how severe the drive will be when it doesn't have a trailer being towed. I commute about 100 miles a day so don't want a crappy drive every day. It sounds like from Ray's perspective above that the 2" kit should do the job. Thoughts? My friend has been doing a few conversions at his shop and he's been hardwiring the box in and hasn't had the red light coming on the dash.

Ray_G

Explorer
Fascinating, the heavy load kit seems to be a recent addition. I'm running their premium kit (i.e. +2", believe it is OME springs but perhaps MD vice HD?). I'm happy with it but am intrigued by the heavy load-esp if I add the aux fuel tank. I wonder if I can just get the rear coils...
R-
R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater