LR3 thermostat

Eric K

Observer
Replaced the thermostat in my 2006 v8 LR3 and it's not overheating, everything seems to be running fine, but this morning (just 20 miles or so, on it after replacing thermostat) the engine warning light came on. I really need it this weekend, anyone have any ideas what that could be?

Correct, any OBDII reader will work. If you do not have a GAP Tool, another good option is Bosch Bluetooth OBDII that you can pick up at any auto store.

I think places like Autozone still do code reading for free. Check the big brand auto stores like Oreillys, Autozone, Pep Boys, NAPA, Carquest, etc. Some stores do it, some do not.

Either way get a code reader on the cheap to at least help you in these situations and let us know what the codes you are getting when you find out. Way too many options to guess at this point.

Good luck!

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Did you test the thermostat in water before putting it in
Did you make sure not to lose the little thimble that sits on the stat spindle
What is the code for the CEL

is info you need to diagnose

DVD

Adventurer
I replaced mine a yr or so ago, so I've forgotten the details, but I recall a process for initiating the new thermostat. I followed a diy on "disco3" forum. It was something like turn it on and rev RPMs to 2000 for a minute. Turn off and bleed the coolant. Turn on again for some specific time and rpm. Bleed again. Etc.

It seemed kind of silly and I was wondering if somebody was doing a spoof, but it wouldn't do any harm. Anyhow, even after doing the process, I got a CEL light once or twice in the days after, but I kept a close eye on the temp and checked to ensure that coolant was circulating--any mistake here could end up costing a new engine-- and reset the codes and it's been fine for many months since.

Not the peace of mind you were hoping for before a trip, but it may be false alarm.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
I replaced mine a yr or so ago, so I've forgotten the details, but I recall a process for initiating the new thermostat. I followed a diy on "disco3" forum. It was something like turn it on and rev RPMs to 2000 for a minute. Turn off and bleed the coolant. Turn on again for some specific time and rpm. Bleed again. Etc.

It seemed kind of silly and I was wondering if somebody was doing a spoof, but it wouldn't do any harm. Anyhow, even after doing the process, I got a CEL light once or twice in the days after, but I kept a close eye on the temp and checked to ensure that coolant was circulating--any mistake here could end up costing a new engine-- and reset the codes and it's been fine for many months since.

Not the peace of mind you were hoping for before a trip, but it may be false alarm.

That has nothing to do with "initiating" a thermostat. It is bleeding the air out of the coolant loop which you opened up to service the stat. It calls for 3000rpm for several minutes to get the coolant warm enough to open the stat and flush the entire loop. All the steps outlined in the service process are to assist in that bleed, IE getting it warm, FAST, and having the heater controls set to ON and HOT.

Brings me to another point: OP, did you bleed the loop correctly? The water temperature probe for the gauge is not meant to read air, so if there is trapped air in the system it will show a low temperature and you won't know something is wrong until you get really close to ruining a motor.

Honestly, until the CEL is known, I wouldn't drive it much as it could be anything. Coincidence related to the thermostat change or another issue popping up from fuel cap to fuel pressure?

Get the code and troubleshoot from there to avoid any potential damage. Just my two cents!

Kennyao30

Observer
If you need directions on how to bleed the system, I have the pages from the manual linked in the discription of my water pump video on how to properly bleed the cooling system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998