LR3 Underbody protection. i've bagged a bargain.

A.J.M

Explorer
Recently, i was shown a thread on a uk site of a guy stripping a lot of off road parts from his newly bought D4.

The car in question was a Prospeed equipped car, the previous owner had bought everything on the catalog. 18 inch wheel package, rock and tree sliders, roof rack with flooring, and complete underbody protecting. A few thousands pounds of gear, the rack alone would have been £1600, protection £2700, wheels over 2 grand etc.

I made a cheeky offer for 2 parts of the under body. The engine sump guard and the massive centre guard. Brand new, £299 and £999. My offer of £550 was accepted.
When i called about them, he said the rear diff guard was still for sale and as i had bought the other 2 parts, he would sell it for £160. New £329.

So i've paid £710 for parts that new would be £1627. I'm feeling rather pleased with it.

http://prospeed-group.co.uk/product/discovery-3-and-4-sump-guard/
http://prospeed-group.co.uk/product/discovery-3-and-4-centre-guard/
http://prospeed-group.co.uk/product/discovery-3-and-4-rear-diff-guard/

I just need the compressor guard and the front and back wishbone guards and i'll be sorted.

It's now trying to find a time to collect them as he lives 300 miles away ( that's a fair distance in the UK ) and a day i'm off work.

Should be the perfect thing to protect the new gearbox it shall shortly be getting.

harbinger808

Adventurer
if that deal was here in the US... i would have done the same!!! prospeed products are are top quality no doubt.
i have the roof rack with full flooring and rear ladder and about to pick up the awning bracket and rtt attachment and sliders.

Recently, i was shown a thread on a uk site of a guy stripping a lot of off road parts from his newly bought D4.

The car in question was a Prospeed equipped car, the previous owner had bought everything on the catalog. 18 inch wheel package, rock and tree sliders, roof rack with flooring, and complete underbody protecting. A few thousands pounds of gear, the rack alone would have been £1600, protection £2700, wheels over 2 grand etc.

I made a cheeky offer for 2 parts of the under body. The engine sump guard and the massive centre guard. Brand new, £299 and £999. My offer of £550 was accepted.
When i called about them, he said the rear diff guard was still for sale and as i had bought the other 2 parts, he would sell it for £160. New £329.

So i've paid £710 for parts that new would be £1627. I'm feeling rather pleased with it.

I just need the compressor guard and the front and back wishbone guards and i'll be sorted.

It's now trying to find a time to collect them as he lives 300 miles away ( that's a fair distance in the UK ) and a day i'm off work.

Should be the perfect thing to protect the new gearbox it shall shortly be getting.

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
Not even sure what all that ish is, but a deal is a deal. I was thrilled when a used car dealer agreed to swap a set of 18" lr3 wheels for my 19" HSE's a few months back. nicely done

sunrisehiker

Adventurer

I followed that thread for a while, drooling from time to time regarding that particular deal...Nice score.
Too bad though , that no other company even tries to come up with something similar here in US. It is such big market of Land Rover vehicles and underbody protection , that is offered here looks 19 Century , rather that functional and sleek.
As i own a Prospeed roof rack with many accessories , I know , what it means to one a PROSPPED product, is it expensive , yes, but many US offered roof racks are miles away from Pro in terms of design, functionality and quietness .And underbody protection here ? non existent ...Tank protection plate that one company makes looks at most as well just a makeshift steel plate.
I had a chance , when I had a chance, to purchase a RS Sliders, when company making it, still existed and this was first and the last product, that created a spark in MANY, the rest is just a poor man's copies, but PROSPPED creates something,that makes sense , too bad it is far away and shipping usually creates unnecessary expense.
You said you have to make a 300 miles journey to pick the bits up ? Boy..I all that a usual commute to work and back , here in US.:ylsmoke:
Cheers

dsm02c

Adventurer
I really like the bolt protectors on those plates. I've beat up the bolts on my tactical plates pretty bad, would love to find a way to protect the bolts better, but glad to have skids at all...

harbinger808

Adventurer
I'll agree with sunrisehiker... I've been looking for various items that Prospeed offers for my LR4 by other manufacturers and have found little. I love there low profile roof rack and i hardly noticed a change in noise. If there was a US distributer Im sure more individuals would have their equipment. Shipping wasn't crazy expensive but still more than I would have liked to spend but I looked at it as an investment.

A.J.M

Explorer
I'm talking to Ben who works at Prospeed for the compressor gaurd.
I will link this thread to him and say about the possible market they could expand into.

I have the back ladder and it's a lovely bit of kit, suits the car and I've only ever seen 1 other car equipped with it.

I've never seen the guards come up for sale so went for it.

Sunrisehiker, 300 miles from my door would put me way into England, there is only 185 miles of Scotland above me and that would take 6 hours to drive. Haha.
My work commute is a grand total of 8 miles.

zelatore

Explorer
Looks like nice stuff and gives a nice smooth underbody. I love the idea of shedding some weight with aluminum but wonder about the durability in the rocks.

I'm running Tactical sliders and skids and I've managed to bend a few bits here and there when working the truck hard. It's something of a catch 22 - the truck bends stuff partially because it's soooo heavy so you need steel to protect it that weighs even more...

A.J.M

Explorer
I'll find out in time i guess Don. My work pattern has changed dramatically so off roading trips or days out is going to be limited.

However, i'm kicking about a career break for later this year and seeing further about it on Thursday. If i can make figures work, the D3 will get the final bits i want sorted, then stuck in a container and shipped to the land down under for 2 years. :)
I'm sure i can test out the kit there better.

You are correct about the weight, it is heavy and puts you in that catch 22 situation.

cannonball55

Adventurer
Congrats on the sweet deal!

did anyone else notice just how clean the bottom of that LR in the prospeed pics is... has that one ever even driven!?

Ray_G

Explorer
You got a sweet deal. I really wish Prospeed was more avail in the U.S.; AB carries their ladder ($400!) but I haven't seen their rack which is fantastic.

sunrisehiker

Adventurer
Did you order direct? If so, how bad was shipping to the US?

Yes , i ordered directly from them. Shipping was not that bad, as I secured a price quote from a year a go and also to minimaze cost , had it shipped directly to a Newark Airport Cargo terminal as I only have like 15 miles to it.Picking it up was a breeze and paying Customs marginal.In NJ one has to pay like 2 % of roof rack's value.
Also it is wise to order as many small items/accesories as possible as they can be placed and secured inside that big roof rack cardboard box which is very sturdy and thick.

harbinger808

Adventurer
I did the same as Sunrisehiker but had it shipped directly to SierraExpeditions and they did the install for me... Great group of guys and very helpful! II also agree that you should order as much "smaller" items that can fit in the roof rack box. I just wished they had the tree sliders and awning brackets when I ordered my roof rack set. Need to save up some more moolah and then I'll place another order to save shipping cost again :)

Yes , i ordered directly from them. Shipping was not that bad, as I secured a price quote from a year a go and also to minimaze cost , had it shipped directly to a Newark Airport Cargo terminal as I only have like 15 miles to it.Picking it up was a breeze and paying Customs marginal.In NJ one has to pay like 2 % of roof rack's value.
Also it is wise to order as many small items/accesories as possible as they can be placed and secured inside that big roof rack cardboard box which is very sturdy and thick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179