LR3 vs Tahoe

I thought I would put it in this thread since I like the lr3s better but I am thinking it would be smarter to go with a new tahoe. I'm looking for something to travel around the west coast/camping and doing some climbing. I want something I can sleep in the back of and they both have really good cargo room for that. Any reason I should go with a 08 lr3 over a tahoe . Thanks :)

hurstjd

Adventurer
I currently have an '06 LR3. Before this I had an '08 Escalade (about the same as a Tahoe).

I had the Escalade for a 10 months and sold it to my brother-in-law. I didn't like it at all. It had plenty of power and looked good, but the back seats weren't able to fold flat. I hated that. Plus it just felt too big.

In the end, the Escalade ended up having major electrical problems. My brother-in-law ended up trading it in for a Jeep.

I love my LR3. It has great power, tons of room. All the seats fold flat. I've got over 140,000 on it and it is still running like a champ.

roverrocks

Expedition Leader
I thought I would put it in this thread since I like the lr3s better but I am thinking it would be smarter to go with a new tahoe. I'm looking for something to travel around the west coast/camping and doing some climbing. I want something I can sleep in the back of and they both have really good cargo room for that. Any reason I should go with a 08 lr3 over a tahoe . Thanks :)

With the fairly low slung new Tahoe and accompanying terrible approach/departure angles you won't get far off road without tearing something up or off but if you're just driving essentially 2wd roads into easy campsites or TH's then the Tahoe will be fine. Personally I'd go with the used LR3/LR4 so you've got much better off road capability just in case the 4x4 "urge" gets the better of you and you want to get deeper off road to spots and TH's where there are less people.

JKU87

Adventurer
I had a 1999 Tahoe which I sold seven years ago (currently drive a JKU). Bought it in 2004 with 71k on the clock and it had around 117k when I got rid of it. The truck was great, super comfy seats and did a road trip from Boston to Orlando. I'm sure the new Tahoe is a bit bigger than my 99 was but I feel that it's too big of a truck for overlanding, camping, etc. That's just my personal opinion.

da10A

Adventurer
I prefer the looks and feel of the LR3, but the better reliability and price of parts of the Tahoe makes more sense. But I would find a good LR3 anyway.

zelatore

Explorer
I own an LR3 and as a rule (since childhood...not claiming any specific logic here) automatically dislike anything with a bow tie.

But I have to admit the Tahoe is a solid platform with good power and towing capability as well as room for people and stuff. It's even half way decent looking, at least in the prior-generation. Not in love with the latest version's looks.

The LR3 certainly has it beat in the capability department. Not sure about economy. If you're going to tow the LR3 is rated pretty highly but honestly I don't think 300 hp is enough for the weight it's rated for on anything but flatlands. I've never towed with the Tahoe but with a variety of LS based motors power should never be a problem and if it is the aftermarket is an easy google away. The Tahoe _should_ be cheaper to buy and own.

The LR3 has loads more personality, more off-road capability, possibly more comfortable as well, and might sleep better with the 100% flat rear. The Chevy will be easier to buy/own since they're on every corner.

MontyMog

Rolling Thunder
I drive a 2012 Tahoe for work. I have had it since new and currently have 83k on the clock. Mine isn't 4wd but some federal ones are. From what I have seen on repair bills the parts aren't any cheaper then a rover. I have gone through 3 wheel bearings, two motor mounts, one bellhousing bolt, and 2 headlight wiring harnesses.
if all your doing is driving forest service roads u will be fine. Remember this though, when u start adding weight to a Tahoe the ground clearance suffers greatly. The lr3 air suspension makes that a non issue in most cases.

Thanks for all the help guys I'm definitely looking at buying the lr3 now just am having a second thought with the cost of repairs and such after 80k-90k miles.

I'm looking at the new 4runners the trds and the regular and I like that option Bc it think I may be able to get 0% interest and not have to pay cash, and I feel like it would be a lot more reliable I'm just not sure yet. It's between those two now instead of the tahoe since it's not the best for offroad. The new 4runner grills though... haha

JKU87

Adventurer
I'm looking at the new 4runners the trds and the regular and I like that option Bc it think I may be able to get 0% interest and not have to pay cash, and I feel like it would be a lot more reliable I'm just not sure yet. It's between those two now instead of the tahoe since it's not the best for offroad. The new 4runner grills though... haha

I love the new 4Runners. The Trail edition is good looking.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Toyota makes some of the ugliest vehicles these days. The front end is pure stupid with poor vision of the trail.

At one time 4Runners were known as rollover queens from accidents.

Oh, an 0% interest? LOL. They ARE making money on that purchase. You just don't know where its at.

Last edited:

The End

The visibility is lacking compared to the LR3 but wouldn't be any worse than a Tahoe. The 4Runner is a performer through and through. Reliable, tough as nails and very capable. Every gen has a huge following and if they were "rollover queens" I highly doubt they would be so popular. If I were you I'd look for a 10 or 11 Trail edition.

MontyMog

Rolling Thunder
A 2010 lr4 and a 2010 4 runner trail are both around 25k used. Neither are bullet proof vehicles. They are about equal in gas millage (lr4 is rated lower but I get about 22 highway), and in size. They are not equal in horse power and towing.... the lr4 has it hands down. What you need to do is drive both of them. As for reliability... I take it from our conversations and your post that u are not a mechanic. That being said your repair bills (if any with either) is going to be high since both vehicles are pretty advanced with many different computers and sensors.

I have owned two Toyotas and didn't like the ride after lifting them or before lifting them. All I had to do with the Lr was change the sensor and my ride is still nice and soft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78