LR3 with only 45K has major failure

GTKrockeTT

Observer
yikes, hard to tell from the pics, did the LR3 roll? looks like there's roof damage. hope the passenger(s) made it out without harm.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yow, scarey. I don't know if it's a design problem, or a materials problem. I predicted we'd get a rash of failures like this due to the quality of the steel coming out of the mills in the middle of this decade. Have you seen the JK axle tube failures yet?

Dmarchand

Adventurer
Time for the aftermarket to spin up some axle/suspension upgrades. If it is welded as stated in other forums, just takes one scrape of the weld to introduce moisture into it. I fear you may be right that this is systemic. Are the RRS and RR's stamped as well?

jeff_wright

Adventurer
I hate to hear that. Glad everyone's alright. What exactly is "stamped steel construction" and why is it bad?

sinuhexavier

Explorer
Imagine a flat sheet of steel being heated and stamped into shape. Basically the cheapest, weakest way to fabricate anything.

kjp1969

Explorer
I'd expect that kind of damage (if at all) following the 100th or 200th nose heavy landing on a very big whoop, not just driving down the road. That would be very bad at any speed, but especially so on the highway.

Are there any such failures during heavy off road use? Hopefully this is just a one-time thing. . .

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
look at all the other parts and mounts- that's consistently cheap construction. those cv joints look smaller than on my sedan!

there's nothing wrong with stamped steel parts or any materials process. it's the application and material thickness that will count.

I see those photos and all i hear is "save $.50 ea @ 10,000 pieces, save $2 x 20,000... no one will ever see what's behind the tires... minimize max load ratings... save $xxx by going thinner metal...etc, etc"

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Argh. Flash. Gotta start a VM to get this going...Flash killed my in-VM IE. Nice.

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
here you go pskhaat
3407347229_d28bddd740_o.png

greenmeanie

Adventurer
I blame the quality programs myself. All I see theer is a Six Sigma analysis engineere with his bell curve saying that based on the cpk we can say that 99% of parts will be good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior