LR3

drcoopster

Adventurer
Seems like we don't have a strong LR3 presence here, but I'll add mine. I recently traded in my Jetta TDI for an '06 LR3 SE. I wanted something that was on the larger side, capable of handling reasonable high-clearance roads short of big rocks or deep sand and mud, yet still had good on-pavement manners. So far, the LR3 seems to fit the bill. I know that some folks look down on the newer Rovers because of the independent suspension and many electronic aids, but this all adds up to a very capable and comfortable vehicle (as long as everything is working).

IMG_20120301_153556.jpg

IMG_20120301_153710.jpg

I have some maintenance to do and some parts ordered, so stay tuned...

Nice pictures! I'd love to see more from that area. I've got in-laws who are begging me to move to florida, but I don't know if I can stand that heat!!!

Howski

sounds like an LR3 will fit the bill with what you're wanting to do. what part of floirda are you in?

Howski

I'm up in the panhandle near Pensacola.

The panhandle is my favorite part of Florida. If you plan on making any upgrades I'd highly suggest some more agressive tires first since you'll mainly be getting into sand, water and mud in that area. They can really make a huge difference in this type of terrain over say a lift, etc

drcoopster

Adventurer
The panhandle is my favorite part of Florida. If you plan on making any upgrades I'd highly suggest some more agressive tires first since you'll mainly be getting into sand, water and mud in that area. They can really make a huge difference in this type of terrain over say a lift, etc

My plan is to wear these ones out first (I try to avoid the mucky and deep stuff), but they'll definitely be replaced with something more aggressive when the time comes. First order of business is to replace the suspension bushings and change the oil in the diffs. Polybush stuff better than OEM?

huskyfargo

Adventurer
Look around a little more. There's a pretty big LR3 presence here. I have one, and have found lots of helpful info on this board.
Yours is looking good, and I think you'll really enjoy it!
P1010397.jpg

cdm

Adventurer
I cant get over how retarded the IRS looks on those when you look at it from behind. Always stare when parked behind one and go "what a minivan!"

They should have kept it a solid axle in the rear.... It's not like it actually corners any special as it is.

drcoopster

Adventurer
I crawled around in the dirt yesterday and changed the engine oil and the oil in both diffs (non-locking rear). The oil that came out of the diffs was very thin and black, and there was a good clump of fine metal shavings on each of the magnetic drain plugs. No flakes or other debris, though, just very fine stuff. I'm not sure what the usual interval is, but I doubt the diff oil had ever been changed. Needless to say, there's a lot less gear noise now.

I have the flip-down DVD player mounted on the ceiling, but I'd like to remove it because it just shakes and rattles and I don't have any need for it. What normally mounts up there?

pvangura

Hi all,

I don't post a ton over here, since I also felt like there wasn't huge LR3 presence. Seems like I was also wrong! My truck is outfitted with a Bajarack standard rack (new so it's not in most of the pics below), an IBS dual battery system, Rasta 4x4 sill protectors, sump guard, rear ladder, brush bar, 12v fridge, and ARB awning (I'm sure there are a couple other things I'm forgetting in that list).

Here are a couple pics of my truck from when I still lived out west:

Halfmoon Gulch, CO
DSC_0099.JPG

Mt. Antero, CO
DSC_0078.JPG

Somewhere in the Gunnison NF, CO
DSC_0143.JPG

Nowadays, I'm stuck in Pittsburgh, PA and don't get out as much as I would like to. My most recent "big trips" were a few days exploring Adirondack Park in upstate NY:
DSC_0007.JPG

And a couple of days in Carova Beach, NC:
405134_10100703645201313_14225735_51355158_164885466_n.jpg

While Adirondack Park was a ton of fun, it wasn't quite what I got used to out west...there just isn't enough space east of the Mississippi! Carova was cool, but only because we were there in the off season (April), and it wasn't crowded at all. I'm in the process of planning a trip to the Cherokee and Pisgah NFs now, and will be headed there in late June. If anyone has any suggestions for that area, let me know!

Paul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger