LR4 multi purpose duty

ar4me

Adventurer
Finally got time to remove the middle 2nd row seat and drop in the fridge - fits perfectly :) I was planning to bolt the quick release mounting plate to the floor, but that is hardly necessary. Though, will probably still do at some point. The fridge has never been used and came with both the jacket and the quick release mounting plate.

Attachments

• DSC_0244.jpg
    DSC_0244.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC_0247.jpg
    DSC_0247.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC_0248.jpg
    DSC_0248.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 152
  • DSC_0250.jpg
    DSC_0250.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC_0249.jpg
    DSC_0249.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 157

ar4me

Adventurer
Does anyone know of any SoCal local stores that might carry a 12v Merit (aka "Hella", aka Iso 4165) socket? That is the socket required by the National Luna 12v power supply cord. In my wisdom I hadn't taken a closer look, but just registered a round standard car 12v sized plug... Not so, it uses the above mentioned plug which provides a more secure fit than the standard cigarette lighter socket... If possible I need this ASAP as we are heading out 12/31 and I would like to try the fridge... I know, unlikely :(

ar4me

Adventurer
My local BMW motorcycle store carried the socket. He mentioned that John Deere tractors use it as well. Although I did find the socket I ended mounting a high quality cigarette lighter plug on the National Luna 12v cord for this trip. The fridge worked well for our 4 day camping trip. I noted that although it doesn't move on paved roads, it does move a bit when going off-road. I will install the quick release mounting plate before our trip to Canyonlands National Park, White Rim Road, etc.

unseenone

Explorer
I've found that direct wiring works better in the long run, using Anderson connectors, you won't lose any voltage (efficiency). I think we missed the boat on this, as he stated he was leaving 12/31.

ar4me

Adventurer
I've found that direct wiring works better in the long run, using Anderson connectors, you won't lose any voltage (efficiency). I think we missed the boat on this, as he stated he was leaving 12/31.
That's ok :) Had a temporary solution for that trip, and am now looking at the long-term solution - suggestions for improved connection is appreciated. Took a quick look at the Anderson connectors - lots of different ones...

unseenone

Explorer
Yes-- Here is what I did-- this solved the voltage drop and warming issues with any Cig or Hella type plug-- If you only need this one thing, you can send me your cord and I'll put ends on the wires, or your local ham club probably has a member with the tools and stuff to do anderson connectors. Probably what you will use is the 45a small connectors.. The size depends on the size of wire you are using, so before you order, you need to figure out what size wire you have.

Here is the why you want to do it;
normal_20151014_184438-s.jpg

Here is what I suggest. It does not need to be this fancy, all you need bare bones is the connectors on the supply and fridge cord end;
normal_20150617_095723-s.jpg

More pics here if you want to look.

You can get what you need here;
http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-p...bonded-red-black-anderson-powerpole-sets.html

ar4me

Adventurer
Thanks for the info and the offer to crimp on the connectors. The fridge 12v supply cord is the standard National Luna 12v supply cord, which has a good sized gauge - I will need to check the exact gauge and order the correct Anderson powerpole from the link you provided. I have a traxide dual battery kit that I was going to install, and then run the fridge off the second battery - the Anderson connector could be on a supply coming directly from the second battery.

unseenone

Explorer
Yes, that's right. Lots of the guys here have the Traxide. You can look through my gallery there, I have some pictures in the traxide section, several of the guys here have posted nice write ups with pictures. If you did not get it with the wiring, happy to make some recommendations on that aspect. I did an AWG 6 marine pair to the rear, after several iterations of adding more and more demand on the wiring, and in the end, ended up with the configuration you see there.. with a connector at the bumper as well.

You have chosen wisely, it is a good kit.

Once you have your install mapped out, happy to help on the connectors, etc, or lend you the kit. If you do Anderson for the run, and do not have the kit wiring, I have the bigger crimpers as well. Happy to help.

ar4me

Adventurer
I did get the Traxide kit with wiring for the rear outlet. One thing that worries me a bit is the need to reposition the module that occupies part of the second battery compartment on the LR4, and also the battery charging on the LR4 (which is electronically controlled). I can set up the CCF for different batteries with the iidtool, but it does not have provision for programming for two batteries... I see others not having issues with two batteries on the LR4, so I suppose I should be fine.

ar4me

Adventurer
Yes, that's right. Lots of the guys here have the Traxide. You can look through my gallery there, I have some pictures in the traxide section, several of the guys here have posted nice write ups with pictures.
I looked through your Traxide gallery. Are those Hella plugs you installed in the back of the vehicle? You later upgraded to Anderson connectors for your fridge?

unseenone

Explorer
Those two are Marine Power Plugs. Not ideal, but sometimes you just need a compatible socket. After doing some fiddling and testing with Hella plugs I was glad I went with Andersons. You could install Hella plugs like that if you wanted. Note the placement, which is contrary to the instructions, everything is out of the cargo space, even when plugged in.

When I did the install, I did the Marine plugs, and the Anderson power pole. I subsequently cut off the fridge plugs on the NL and Snomaster and put Anderson plugs on. This was after experiencing a melted plug. I went to fiddling to see if one or the other could be used without voltage loss and heat, it could not. Even as pictured, with the meter, a 30a rated Anderson Cig style plug adapter.

I would not worry about battery management, the Traxide will do it, I just left the switch in the default position. I'm not familiar with the LR4 layout, but there should be no problem relocating stuff in the box. I believe using the Traxide, should bypass telling the ECU about the 2nd battery. Maybe someone else with an LR4 can pipe in. That is what is nice about the Traxide system, it just simply works. You can also feed your batteries with Solar, battery maintainers, etc. from any end of the system.

Maybe there's someone near you that's done one that can pitch in.

ar4me

Adventurer
Thanks for the thoughts. Where did you mount the Anderson plug on the "vehicle side of things"? I am thinking somewhere around the back of the center console since I have the fridge instead of the center 2nd row seat. I would prefer to have it mounted somewhere out of the way as opposed to a lose tail that may get stepped on by rear passengers or bumped by cargo.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
The critical metric is ohmic resistance of the connector. Cigarette lighter sockets were designed in the 50's? Mass produced and cheap. Poor contact area = high resistance = heat / voltage drop.

CigLighter.JPG

Found here

Anderson is the way to go. Low resistance = 600 micro-ohms up to 45a which results in minimal voltage drop.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
If it makes any difference, I use a 2-wire trailer plug for my fridge. Nice and small, super cheap, and very effective. Not necessarily as clean as a mounted plug though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online