LR4 multi purpose duty

A.J.M

Explorer
Can you get a picture of it so I can compare to my own kit?

Mine has never been fitted but was made a few years ago, I want to say 2012, and it's been in the U.K. but never sold till I saw it at a Land Rover show and made a low ball offer on it.

ar4me

Adventurer
Can you get a picture of it so I can compare to my own kit?
I can't as I have used and mounted many of the parts and as well as connected and mixed with my custom pieces... You will (should) have
1. brackets, bolts, nuts, clamps, special "bolts"
2. various hoses, banjo bolts (for the tank), nipples (for the fuel pump), "T" pipes (1 for filler and 1 for vent)
3. fuel pump, a relay, fuse, and simple switch (of all this I only used the fuel pump)
My kit may be of similar vintage as Ray logged it with him around the world :)

Ray_G

Explorer
I can't as I have used and mounted many of the parts and as well as connected and mixed with my custom pieces... You will (should) have
1. brackets, bolts, nuts, clamps, special "bolts"
2. various hoses, banjo bolts (for the tank), nipples (for the fuel pump), "T" pipes (1 for filler and 1 for vent)
3. fuel pump, a relay, fuse, and simple switch (of all this I only used the fuel pump)
My kit may be of similar vintage as Ray logged it with him around the world :)

Your tank should be fairly close in age I would assume. I ordered that tank in late 15 if I recall correctly, with it showing up in Dubai via container a few months into 16.

In watching this progress I am jealous-but also def aware that I'd prob never find the time to get through the process like you have.
r-
Ray

ar4me

Adventurer
but also def aware that I'd prob never find the time to get through the process like you have.
r-
Ray
Yes, quite a bit of work... I thought I would be able to finish it last weekend, having only the two fuel line hook-ups left..., until I compared dimension of parts :) Anyway, found and ordered a LR3/4 fuel filler pipe and neck assembly from a breaker. This will allow me to make my custom part on the bench from the OEM pipe without downtime of the LR4 (which I cannot afford at the moment - temporary family work horse...)

ar4me

Adventurer
Been busy with a ton of other stuff, but getting focus back on the LR4 as we are planning a Springbreak trip. The aux tank will hopefully get the fuel lines hooked up this weekend. In the meantime, the other evening I installed a 2m ARB awning onto my OEM roof rack using Rhino brackets.
281E2F47-C416-4DA9-A448-E5A18FE544B2.jpg
14960A51-27D7-45C2-8B81-5FFDD5F240C2.jpg

Last edited:

ar4me

Adventurer
Aux fuel tank install complete

I am pretty stoked that we finished the aux tank install today. Abran (carrs4x4.com in Huntington Beach, CA) kindly took me in to assist with fuel line routing, create a custom fuel filler neck that we thought was the best solution, and resolve any unforeseen issues - after all, the kit clearly is not made for NAS LR3/4 (in terms of fuel hook-up). One of my criteria was to avoid having a gazillion hose clamps and fittings that IMO are simply potential failure points. I had bought an extra fuel filler assembly from a breaker to have on hand, although we ended up not using it, but I will keep it if I ever want to revert the car to original. We studied the LR4 workshop manual, looked at posts on here (http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/133932-Discovery-4-LR4-Auxiliary-Long-Range-Tank), and decided what we thought would be best. Not rocket science but unknown whether it would work... The hook-up is different from the Front Runner instructions and quite different from mcieplinkski's in the thread referenced above.

The first picture shows the stock fuel filler neck in place
IMG_2617.jpg
The next two pictures show the custom fuel filler neck that is a cross between the stock fuel filler neck, the piece that came with the Front Runner kit, and some custom adapters that the shop next to Abran's fabricated on the spot for us, along with welding it all up.
IMG_2625.jpg
IMG_2626.jpg
This custom fuel filler neck simply bolts in place of the stock fuel filler neck and all hoses connect to it (fuel fill from neck, fuel fill to main tank, fuel fill to aux tank, and fuel pump output from aux tank - when pumping to main tank from aux tank) - so not a single additional hose clamp till this point.
IMG_2627.jpg
The new assembly and all hoses fit behind the wheel liner as seen on next picture.
IMG_2628.jpg
The only additional connection for the FrontRunner set-up is the vent line from the aux tank. That requires a T (the one in the FrontRunner kit fits the dimensions of the NAS LR3/4 hose). We connected it to the line that goes between the char-coal cannister and the fuel vapor separator - I don't have a good picture of it, but it is line 9 in the workshop manual picture shown below
Screen Shot 2018-03-03 at 7.06.05 PM.jpg
with the T being behind the lower part of the custom fuel filler neck. This line is the only stock fuel line we cut, to connect the vent line to. All other connections are to the custom fuel filler neck. A very clean solution without a lot of extra fittings, hose clamps, etc.

We put 5 gallons in from a jerry can to check for leaks - none. Then drove to gas station and put in 35 gallons (before the pump auto shut-off). To begin with the main tank was at 1/4 mark. So, at that point the fuel system now held 1/4 main tank plus 40 gallons :) The gauge for the aux tank showed full, and the gauge for the main tank showed almost full. I suspect I could have topped off to get main tank to absolutely max, but I didn't want to mess with it - we were just thrilled that it filled both tanks, basically full, without shutting off :) Our fear was that it would fill the aux tank, the back pressure shut off the pump, and that it would then take 20 min to pump fuel from aux tank to the still almost empty main tank. The contraption from Front Runner with all the extra nipples that we welded into the stock fuel filler neck, looked like almost all fuel going in would be diverted to the aux tank - hence our fears. Though, FrontRunner obviously thought and experimented with this... It filled beautifully!

Another customization is an inline fuel filter between the aux tank and the pump, seen below
IMG_2623.jpg

This is what the car with the FrontRunner aux tank installed looks like from the back and from a low angle
IMG_2634.jpg
IMG_2639.jpg

So far, so good. No CEL till this point. We drove with almost empty tanks to the gas station, then with full tanks I drove 30 miles from Abran's shop to home, and later a trip to Home Depot. A bit too early to conclude firmly how the hook-up will work in terms of CEL - we'll see...

The main customizations of the FrontRunner kit include:
- Add fuel level sender and gauge with integrated fuel pump switch
- Fabricate custom fuel filler neck as cross of stock filler neck and FrontRunner contraption
- fuel filter between aux tank and pump

A big thanks to Abran! and to Ray for transporting the FrontRunner kit around the globe and selling it to me :)

Last edited:

ar4me

Adventurer
Yeah, range should be much improved :)

In terms of the custom fuel filler neck I should mention that besides marrying the stock filler neck and the FrontRunner contraption, we also cut, sliced, and re-welded the FrontRunner contraption on its own to get the angles correct.

Ray_G

Explorer
That's super cool, good to see you got it all up and running-not without a lot of effort, but still-very cool.

ar4me

Adventurer
I am just an overlander/adventurer building my LR4 to my vision and for the needs of our trips, but perhaps whoever needs one can talk Abran at carrs4x4.com into making one/some more. After we did mine I am sure he can repeat the process, but unless he builds a jig he would have to mock up and tack together on an actual car to get angles exactly right. If you are serious, talk to Abran.

ar4me

Adventurer
Since level in main tank was down to 3/4 I decided to test moving fuel over from the aux tank. I was expecting it to be quite slow based on what I have read on here, but it wasn't bad. By the time I had rolled 3 garbage cans out, probably a couple of minutes, the main tank showed full. The FrontRunner aux pump by itself seems plenty for moving fuel over.

ar4me

Adventurer
Based on our experience with Bobby's Hole in the Needles District of Canyonlands last summer, I had decided that it would be essential to have super easy access to our MaxTrax. Once you are stuck in an awkward position, or on a super steep rocky hills as we were, it is a pain if you have to climb all over to access your recovery gear. I had purchased some brackets and MaxTrax pins (accommodate a pad lock for theft protection) and made some simple adapter plates to mount them on my Land Rover OEM rack. Now I can reach and take them down standing next to the LR4 :)
IMG_2644.jpg
IMG_2648.jpg
IMG_2650.jpg

Ray_G

Explorer
Will be interested in your reflections on the awning-am seriously considering the same setup for my truck (to be used in conjunction with an RTT in all likelihood).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan