LR4 Off-Road Towing

dpickaz

Looking at a 2011 LR4 LSE at a good price. The concerning thing is the tow rating: 7716 lb On-road but....2205 off-road. We'd pull a 2020 Kimberley Karavan and would certainly be taking it off road. Does anyone know why the severe reduction in tow capacity off road? We can't find ANYTHING that addresses the rationale or how to mitigate it. The newer models don't have the restricted off-road tow rating.

Last edited:

gabrielef

I haven’t seen that limitation. You get the full 7700 lbs if you have trailer brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dpickaz

I haven’t seen that limitation. You get the full 7700 lbs if you have trailer brakes.

That's what we would have thought until the owner sent this pic from the 2011 Owners Manual. Scratching our heads and wondering if we should buy it and ignore this or take a pass.

1702926341516.png

SkiWill

I don't know what my teardrop weighs off the top of my head. Probably more than 2,205 lbs, but probably less than 3,500 lbs. I certainly haven't noticed any issues with towing off road, but I don't go rock crawling either.

While the 7,716 lb tow rating is certainly higher than a typical midsize SUV, I probably wouldn't use an LR4 regularly for anything over 5,000 lbs through the mountain west where I live, work, and play. There are definitely times when I feel like I'm flogging it to maintain a safe speed up steep high elevation grades. Given the LR4's tendency to need a close eye on the cooling system anyway, I just wouldn't want to use it for really heavy towing all the time.

Also, another reality is that a V8 LR4 is going to consume a lot of fuel, and that consumption will become downright obscene with a heavy trailer. Plus, it only has a 22.8 gallon tank with the computer reading 0 miles to empty after consuming about 20 gallons. Range anxiety will definitely become a part of your trip planning.

I love my LR4. It feels very safe and sure footed towing, but I'm not blind to its limitations either. I have no idea what your camper weighs, but if it has large frontal area or weighs around 5k loaded for a trip, you may wish to look for something that has a bigger fuel tank and is more geared for towing.

dpickaz

I don't know what my teardrop weighs off the top of my head. Probably more than 2,205 lbs, but probably less than 3,500 lbs. I certainly haven't noticed any issues with towing off road, but I don't go rock crawling either.

While the 7,716 lb tow rating is certainly higher than a typical midsize SUV, I probably wouldn't use an LR4 regularly for anything over 5,000 lbs through the mountain west where I live, work, and play. There are definitely times when I feel like I'm flogging it to maintain a safe speed up steep high elevation grades. Given the LR4's tendency to need a close eye on the cooling system anyway, I just wouldn't want to use it for really heavy towing all the time.

Also, another reality is that a V8 LR4 is going to consume a lot of fuel, and that consumption will become downright obscene with a heavy trailer. Plus, it only has a 22.8 gallon tank with the computer reading 0 miles to empty after consuming about 20 gallons. Range anxiety will definitely become a part of your trip planning.

I love my LR4. It feels very safe and sure footed towing, but I'm not blind to its limitations either. I have no idea what your camper weighs, but if it has large frontal area or weighs around 5k loaded for a trip, you may wish to look for something that has a bigger fuel tank and is more geared for towing.
Thank you that great response! We may still buy the vehicle (it's in GREAT shape and a great price) to tool around town and the occasional short camping trip but we're not sure we would feel comfortable in the mountains (which we do) as you describe. The Kimberley Karavan weighs in at 5000 lbs. The biggest issue right now that gives us pause is the 160,000 miles on it. Should we be scared of that?

SkiWill

Thank you that great response! We may still buy the vehicle (it's in GREAT shape and a great price) to tool around town and the occasional short camping trip but we're not sure we would feel comfortable in the mountains (which we do) as you describe. The Kimberley Karavan weighs in at 5000 lbs. The biggest issue right now that gives us pause is the 160,000 miles on it. Should we be scared of that?
Depends on how well it was maintained and whether the timing chain has been done. You'll definitely want a good independent Land Rover mechanic to look it over before you buy it. I would not be inherently worried about the mileage as long as it has been maintained properly. I wouldn't buy one without a pre purchase inspection and good service history though. A timing chain job could run you $4-7k depending on where you live. Add in a couple other repairs and you've spent as much on repairs as the vehicle is worth or it ends up being mechanically totaled, costing more to repair than it is worth.

That said, there was a formerly active member here who put well over 200k on his 2013 LR4 but he was religious about maintenance and changed oil every 6k miles or so rather than the guaranteed to kill a timing chain Land Rover recommendation of 15,000 mile service intervals. He sold it to get a new Defender.

If the Land Rover mechanic says it is a good one, it has a good service history, then buy it, and keep it serviced. It'll be great in the mountains, but it will cost more to maintain than a Land Cruiser. It also probably costs about $30,000 less so that gives you plenty of room for annual upkeep.

I'd probably look at a full size pick up for a 5,000 lbs trailer if for no other reason than getting a decent size fuel tank. No matter what vehicle, I'd expect no more than 10-11 mpg and maybe 7 mpg with a headwind unless you get a diesel. An SUV sized fuel tank is going to make passing a gas station a rarity. I've towed 5,000 lbs with my LR4 and it will do it, but didn't get more than 10 mpg.

bri

Adventurer

I have yet to determine actual weight of my Micro Minnie FLX 2108FBS. GVR is 5500. I towed about 800 miles last summer, big one was Montana to Colorado. Had it up into summit county as well and have no problems maintaining speed or temp on mountain grades. Frankly... I was suprised at how well it tows.

It definitely can handle more than I am willing to dish out.

Mileage to Montana a was 19, back was 9 (with trailer). The milage caclulate by the vehicle was close to my calculations. Within 10%. Mileage varied little on way back, I tried going 60 vs 80 and the reduction in time to destination was worth more to me than the cost of gas.

2016 LR4 SCV6

SkiWill

I have yet to determine actual weight of my Micro Minnie FLX 2108FBS. GVR is 5500. I towed about 800 miles last summer, big one was Montana to Colorado. Had it up into summit county as well and have no problems maintaining speed or temp on mountain grades. Frankly... I was suprised at how well it tows.

It definitely can handle more than I am willing to dish out.

Mileage to Montana a was 19, back was 9 (with trailer). The milage caclulate by the vehicle was close to my calculations. Within 10%. Mileage varied little on way back, I tried going 60 vs 80 and the reduction in time to destination was worth more to me than the cost of gas.

2016 LR4 SCV6
If you were towing it empty from picking it up, it was probably closer to 4,500 lbs. The OP was asking about a NA V8 and 6 speed, which is what I have. I have also towed our trailer with a supercharged V6 and 8 speed, which does noticeably better at altitude and doesn't have as wide of ratios between gears so the engine isn't screaming at over 4k RPM on steep grades.

Knock on wood, I haven't see increases in temperatures while towing, but my mechanic has seen multiple seized engines as a result of catastrophic failure of plastic cooling system components on steep mountain grades leading to instant overheating on the AJV8 and AJV6. I just had all of my crossover pipes, thermostat, etc. replaced so I'm at a very low risk of such a failure. However, the newest LR4 is now 8 years old which is pushing it on those plastic cooling system parts. That is the biggest risk on the cooling system. As long as the parts are in good shape and relatively new, I wouldn't expect overheating. However, if the parts are old, brittle, and already seeping, they can fail catastrophically taking the engine with it especially while under load like towing up a mountain grade.

bri

Adventurer
If you were towing it empty from picking it up, it was probably closer to 4,500 lbs. The OP was asking about a NA V8 and 6 speed, which is what I have. I have also towed our trailer with a supercharged V6 and 8 speed, which does noticeably better at altitude and doesn't have as wide of ratios between gears so the engine isn't screaming at over 4k RPM on steep grades.

Knock on wood, I haven't see increases in temperatures while towing, but my mechanic has seen multiple seized engines as a result of catastrophic failure of plastic cooling system components on steep mountain grades leading to instant overheating on the AJV8 and AJV6. I just had all of my crossover pipes, thermostat, etc. replaced so I'm at a very low risk of such a failure. However, the newest LR4 is now 8 years old which is pushing it on those plastic cooling system parts. That is the biggest risk on the cooling system. As long as the parts are in good shape and relatively new, I wouldn't expect overheating. However, if the parts are old, brittle, and already seeping, they can fail catastrophically taking the engine with it especially while under load like towing up a mountain grade.
I replaced mine as well.

I really was just trying to give a frame of reference. You are right about the weight.

The original question is confusing though. I never take my vehicle offroad. I do take it off pavement though and won't hesitate taking the camper with. I wonder what asssumptions LR made with the offroad weight.

gabrielef

I replaced mine as well.

I really was just trying to give a frame of reference. You are right about the weight.

The original question is confusing though. I never take my vehicle offroad. I do take it off pavement though and won't hesitate taking the camper with. I wonder what asssumptions LR made with the offroad weight.

It’s time to take it off-road, it’s amazing at it 🫡

SkiWill

I replaced mine as well.

I agree. I think the SC V6 is a better tow vehicle for altitude, but I like my V8 as well. I just prefer not to have it spinning so hard, and 9-11 mpg with a small fuel tank is just annoying.

I also agree that I can't think of why LR would limit off road towing weight. I think it's probably more of a liability issue. With a 2204 lb trailer you can't drive like an knucklehead and think everything will be ok but face certain doom at 2206 lbs. Some careful driving and sensibility should allow any LR4 driver to access reasonable tracks with a reasonable sized trailer.

oregontrd

The only thing that might make sense is the off-road height settings. Maybe the airbags can’t handle the full weight when fully inflated?

HUMMER/Expeditions

what’s interesting about off road towing is this
in low range it can actually tow a lot more than on high range, but they don’t want you to know or test that, because definition of off road can change very quickly from easy to hard, and that will stretch the chain in the transfer case if the driver is not carful with there right foot.

I don’t know of any 4x4 that can tow the same amount off road as on road
( according to manufacturer)

So in other words majority of things manufacturers say you are not supposed to do is because they don’t want to pay the warranty cost to fix things.

bri

Adventurer
I agree. I think the SC V6 is a better tow vehicle for altitude, but I like my V8 as well. I just prefer not to have it spinning so hard, and 9-11 mpg with a small fuel tank is just annoying.

I also agree that I can't think of why LR would limit off road towing weight. I think it's probably more of a liability issue. With a 2204 lb trailer you can't drive like an knucklehead and think everything will be ok but face certain doom at 2206 lbs. Some careful driving and sensibility should allow any LR4 driver to access reasonable tracks with a reasonable sized trailer.

I get 9-11 towing 4500lbs @60-80MPH. I betcha I would be a lot better going 45 on dirt or 5-10 "offroad". WIth the trailer, I would be looking to get away from crowds, then park it. If I wanted to do more than that I would have something like a Boreas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior