Lr4 roof rack

LOMartin

Hands down Front Runner is the best roof rack system I have ever had on a vehicle.

They even forward shipped me my rack and roof top tent as I drove across America this past month.
Intuitive system, use friendly and easy to modify for ones needs.

Ray_G

Explorer
I would second front runner, very happy with the quality of the rack, its weight, and the ease of install, use, etc.

dsm02c

Adventurer
These clear the antenna and you still get satellite radio? That was the reason I didn't pull the trigger on the front runner rack recently, I really like satellite radio and didn't know if it would work..?

mpinco

Expedition Leader
URBAN OFFROAD EXODUS SERIES OVERLAND PLATFORM FULL ROOF RACK

Derek Chase - excellent customer service / help / advice

My criteria: LR4 with 285/60-18 Grabber AT2's (raises truck) and fit in your standard garage.

Rack sits just below gps/antenna and with wind fairing, allows LR4 to be parked in garage. Not true of all other racks. Workmanship and finish were excellent.

Needed rack to carry canoe, etc.

Pics later as we just returned from SouthWest Colorado / San Juans / 4WD trails.

LOMartin

These clear the antenna and you still get satellite radio? That was the reason I didn't pull the trigger on the front runner rack recently, I really like satellite radio and didn't know if it would work..?

Yes, it does clear the antenna and the satellite radio works perfect. Also, even with the RTT I still get satellite radio. at first I mounted the tent all the way to the back over the antenna and reception was spotty; after moving the tent up 6" I have had no issues with the satellite radio.

Colin Hughes

Explorer
If it's just for a kayak, why don't you just go with a Thile or Yakama setup? I like the Urban Off-road and it's one piece, the Front Runner is modular. On my D1, I could never get it to sit evenly and it was quite loud.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Urban Offroad Exodus Series Overland Platform roof rack on LR4

Low profile, clean and with front air dam and tubing between rail and air dam, it is quiet

EngrPass (1 of 1)-7.jpg

zelatore

Explorer
I'm running an Urban Offroad low-pro rack as well. The Exodus Series Platform Full. (quite a name...) It's an LR3, but I doubt there's any difference. I found it absolutely AWFUL with no wind deflector - crazy loud!

Here's a copy of a post I made on our club forum summarizing my experience with it:

I made some more improvements to the rack wind deflector.

To recap-
First I tried it with no deflector. That was 100% fail. Crazy-loud; sounded like a 747 on take-off at anything above 50 mph This led to-
ghetto-fab yellow plastic zip-tie wind deflector. Ugly, but effective. It actually worked. This led to-
Urban Off-Road 'factory' deflector. This sort of worked. It got rid of the 747 but still caused quite a bit of turbulence noise. This let to-
foam pipe insulation stuffed under UOR deflector. This worked pretty well, but looked a little cheesy and of course the foam was never a permanent solution. This led to-

Custom oversized wind deflector. I took the UOR deflector to TAP and had them make me another one only 6" longer so it would reach down close to the roof. This worked quite well up to about 40 mph, but then it starts to vibrate and touches the roof. So I ended up using some sticky-backed foam strips in strategic locations to keep it from flexing/vibrating against anything. I've now tested it to 'crossing NV on HWY 50 in the middle of the night' speeds without any real noise, so this will be staying for a while.

If I were to make another one, I'd probably make it about 1/2" shorter to keep it from touching the roof, and I'd make it out of thicker stock to help make it more ridged and keep it from flexing in the wind.

A few pics-
With the Urban wind deflector and foam pipe insulation

It's current state-

mpinco

Expedition Leader
I also have a D1 with Safari Guard roof rack so maybe I'm conditioned to noise? :)

My Urban Offroad full size rack with wind deflector did initially produce some noise at speed. Theory was the air coming off the truck was vibrating the deflector which also was very close to the tubing. In addition there are only 3 mounting points for the deflector to rack, from a wind perspective. Off to Home Depot. Found some shiny black tubing in the general plumbing/tubing section. The I.D. was 7/8" while thickness was 3/8". The front of the rack where the deflector attaches is comprised of both horizontal and vertical tubes to attach the top and bottom sections. Cut the hose into roughly 9" lengths and sliced them open. Installed the hose between the rack and the deflector to prevent any contact between deflector and metal rack tubing, also provide support for the flexible deflector. Wind noise solved with no change in outside appearance of rack/deflector.

As zelatore did you could fabricate a larger deflector that extended down closer to the LR3/4 body but I would still add the rubber hose/tubing between the deflector and rack itself.

Only pic I currently have of front:

EngrPass (1 of 1)-8.jpg

Last edited:

LOMartin

If you like the urban off-road then check out the prospeed made in the UK. Its everything the urban off-road wanted to be but does cost a bit more.

jerdog53

Explorer
If you like the urban off-road then check out the prospeed made in the UK. Its everything the urban off-road wanted to be but does cost a bit more.

and its really hard to get in this country and pricy, but I like it none the less....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78