LR4 Skid Plates - which ones?

mcieplinski

Adventurer
Hi All,

I am looking at adding skid plates for my LR4 2011 and was wondering if the group has any recommendations. I looked at ASFIR skid plates which are interesting as they are made from aluminium and thus are very light weight but I wonder if they are actually strong enough.

Thanks all!

Best,

Michal

Cleand

Adventurer
If you are looking for strength, I would go with tactical 4x4. I have seen them take a beating multiple times and never a single dent.

racehorse

Adventurer
If you are looking for strength, I would go with tactical 4x4. I have seen them take a beating multiple times and never a single dent.

I don't think kep and eric (tactical) sell a front skid at this point in time - just the tranny, gas tank and sliders for the lr3 unless they've built a prototype recently.

mcieplinski

Adventurer
Hi All - Tactical 4x4 do sell transmition/gas/diff guards for LR3 but noone can confirm that they will fit LR4. I have heard that there were some changes to the underbody between LR3 and LR4. I can screw things together but I am quite short of mechanical skils if I need to adjust plates in case they don't fit :(

brickpaul65

Adventurer
The tactical 4x4 guys were awesome to work with. I ordered a set of sliders and the two skid plates (they don't make a sump gaurd that I know of but I was going to email them to see if they would).

I don't know the LR4 fitment issues yet. There is someone in the Overland LR4 build that just fit the skids to his LR4 (an awesome "black" edition) if I recall. He may have some information and the Tactical 4x4 guys may have been able to accomodate the changes for future orders.

Sidenote:

What is the winch tray in the asfir photos?

racehorse

Adventurer
The tactical 4x4 guys were awesome to work with. I ordered a set of sliders and the two skid plates (they don't make a sump gaurd that I know of but I was going to email them to see if they would).

Kep and Eric are great at tactical. The issue with the LR4 is mostly the sliders and how they fit with the existing tactical bracketry. The new pumps on the LR4 and replacement pumps for the LR3 are larger and have different brackets - Kep and eric or anyone else must retrofit the compressor higher up into the body with new brackets to make the fit with the sliders.

I don't know the LR4 fitment issues yet. There is someone in the Overland LR4 build that just fit the skids to his LR4 (an awesome "black" edition) if I recall. He may have some information and the Tactical 4x4 guys may have been able to accomodate the changes for future orders.

Sidenote:

What is the winch tray in the asfir photos?

It is a custom winch tray from Gordon at Inland Rovers in Riverside, CA. The entire project is a one-off custom design to flush-fit the OEM bumper with an exposed winch - you get the set up of the OEM design without the approach angle problem that the OEM package presents using the Warn winch tray and tray arms that jut forward out of the bumper about a foot. The arms for the custom winch tray design were also custom fabricated by the Inland Rovers team.

I wanted the strength of a decent bumper out front without the 200 lbs of steel hanging off the front end from a full bull bar design such as ARB and a winch. I also wanted an exposed winch - a 10,000 lb. TJM. The TJM lights are also mounted with custom made steel mounts. Because everything is flush it will take a strong hit like a bull bar without collapsing.

mcieplinski

Adventurer
It is a custom winch tray from Gordon at Inland Rovers in Riverside, CA. The entire project is a one-off custom design to flush-fit the OEM bumper with an exposed winch - you get the set up of the OEM design without the approach angle problem that the OEM package presents using the Warn winch tray and tray arms that jut forward out of the bumper about a foot. The arms for the custom winch tray design were also custom fabricated by the Inland Rovers team.

I wanted the strength of a decent bumper out front without the 200 lbs of steel hanging off the front end from a full bull bar design such as ARB and a winch. I also wanted an exposed winch - a 10,000 lb. TJM. The TJM lights are also mounted with custom made steel mounts. Because everything is flush it will take a strong hit like a bull bar without collapsing.

Hi - Do you know if Inland Rovers would be able to consturct such winch tray for an LR4?

Mack73

Adventurer

Any more pics of this?

brickpaul65

Adventurer

Not to thread steal but do you know if he has plans to make this item more than a one off because it is exactly what I want. It looks ideal. Off to google Inland Rovers

racehorse

Adventurer
Hi - Do you know if Inland Rovers would be able to consturct such winch tray for an LR4?

Inland Rovers will do anything you want - Gordon is a great guy deal with. A fun dude who listens to exactly what you ask for. His team and work isn't cheap but he's fair and a pro and you'll get what you want. Just note they had my rig for about a month's time. They reconstructed the design twice based on my input and had some other work done as well - installed tactical plates and fabricated new mounts for the new compressor to sit higher in order for the sliders to fit.

mcieplinski

Adventurer
Not to thread steal but do you know if he has plans to make this item more than a one off because it is exactly what I want. It looks ideal. Off to google Inland Rovers

I just called them and they can do it for LR3/LR4 again. Takes about a day and a half in the shop

racehorse

Adventurer
winch1.jpgwinch2.jpgwinch3.jpgwinch1.jpgwinch2.jpgwinch3.jpg
Inland Rovers will do anything you want - Gordon is a great guy deal with. A fun dude who listens to exactly what you ask for. His team and work isn't cheap but he's fair and a pro and you'll get what you want. Just note they had my rig for about a month's time. They reconstructed the design twice based on my input and had some other work done as well - installed tactical plates and fabricated new mounts for the new compressor to sit higher in order for the sliders to fit.

I'll put more photos about the rig on the lr3 registry when i get onto my other computer.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears