LR4 Sunroof heat

Picked up a CPO 2012 LR4 with the three sunroofs and noticed that the sunroof covers aren't solid - the mesh is letting in quite a lot of light and heat (Florida...). Used the Google machine and owners seem to come up with all kinds of wacky hacks to solve it. Tinting the sunroof windows sounded like the sanest. I would like to find a replacement for the actual covers though - something more solid like the ones found in RRsport. Land Rover doesn't have a solution according to the dealership. Anyone?

iowalr4

Adventurer
Tint might work pretty well. You could probably use the UV blocking kind without blocking too much light.

My solution and many peoples favorite option is a big roof rack with flooring. My wife hates how much light it blocks and that it looks like "a jail cell" but it is functional.

I can't believe I didn't think of that. My previous LR4 didn't have sunroof, and I haven't gotten the rack on yet on the new one so it never occurred to me... Let's just say my brain was overheated and pretend I never started this thread...

The mesh seems like a major design flaw though. I drove 20 min from the dealer and home and the right side of my neck/shoulder was cookin'.

unseenone

Explorer
I have mine tinted. I re-tinted after replacing the roof. This works really well, to keep some of the heat down. A decent quality dark tint is my preference. The first time it was darker, the 2nd time I ended up with something slightly clearer, and it's too bright for my tastes. I've been happy with SunTek. I do the front row windows in light, the passenger, rear and rear side windows in the dark.

Your AC will work a lot less with it.

iowalr4

Adventurer
I have used SunTek before. I don't have any on my LR4 yet, but I do cook from UV in it.

For the roof though... I think I am covered. (in PolyMax Chicken Coop flooring).

1oS5VM8rgsKdSPLL-avolZbyz7xbyd9Lr4yqENWx2-il=w992-h1322-no

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998