LSD or not?

Plumberjohn

Observer
Hello gents,
I have narrowed the noise from my Montero down to a rear diff (confirmed by my mechanic).
I have to ask, how do I know if my truck has an LSD or not? I had the local Mits dealer run my VIN. They can't tell me (they did confirm that it does have a diff;) ).
I can find a tag on the diff to see, and no indication inside the door jams.
Save opening it up, is there a way to know?
Thanks for reading.

Plumberjohn

Observer
Thanks again gents. This place is awesome! I'm going to see if I can find that tag. There is quite a bit of under spray (thankfully, my Montero has hardly any rust top or bottom) but it must be there.

MoabRefugee

Observer
LSD Experience in Moab

I have an '01 Limited with the "Hyblid" LSD. Dead stock, including tire size, with GY Assurance Fuel Max's, this rig has done Hell's Revenge and Fins-n-Things...in winter, with snow, and ice in the shade. I have friends that guide for local companies, and they are FLOORED by where my stock rig has gone. I may go to an ARB in the front at some point, but even with only the P rated tires and careful wheel placement, the truck has already far exceeded my offroad expectations. I had planned to go Radflo/Lovell springs immediately, but I am so impressed, that I am considering spacers and KYB Gas-a-Just as an interim solution. I can only imagine how KO2's or AT3's will improve the situation. Plan is eventually to go 4.9's with 255/85's but it's just SO capable stock. Protection is a must, as these rigs can easily handle terrain beyond the absurdly minimal factory "protection".

These rigs kill it so long as you aren't punching the "Laundry List" at shop rates. Even some minimal DIY can save you serious sheckles, and once the work is complete, enjoy another 60k with only regular oil changes. Enjoy!

Plumberjohn

Observer
Very true. The laundry list on my rig is kinda long. for right now, it's fix what's broke! The noisy diff has to go. That's looking more like a weekend job than a shop trip (save some $$!). All the fluids are going to be done Monday. And the rear heater lines replaced. T-belt will be done, the previous owner says it was done, but no bill. And the valve cover gaskets.
In the spring I'll look into the flashing lights for 4x4. It works fine. The front lights flash, then after driving for a while, the green lights disappear, and the centre light comes on (the amber one). Plus the trac and ABS lights come on.
But, the truck is in in amazing condition. As I mentioned, barely any rust. I think she's a keeper.

clmrt

Adventurer
I have an '01 Limited with the "Hyblid" LSD. Dead stock, including tire size, with GY Assurance Fuel Max's, this rig has done Hell's Revenge and Fins-n-Things...in winter, with snow, and ice in the shade. I have friends that guide for local companies, and they are FLOORED by where my stock rig has gone. I may go to an ARB in the front at some point, but even with only the P rated tires and careful wheel placement, the truck has already far exceeded my offroad expectations. I had planned to go Radflo/Lovell springs immediately, but I am so impressed, that I am considering spacers and KYB Gas-a-Just as an interim solution. I can only imagine how KO2's or AT3's will improve the situation. Plan is eventually to go 4.9's with 255/85's but it's just SO capable stock. Protection is a must, as these rigs can easily handle terrain beyond the absurdly minimal factory "protection".

These rigs kill it so long as you aren't punching the "Laundry List" at shop rates. Even some minimal DIY can save you serious sheckles, and once the work is complete, enjoy another 60k with only regular oil changes. Enjoy!

I think you have 4.9 already. 2003 went to the 5 speed / 4.3 combo.

Plumberjohn

Observer
Just as a follow up, I ended up swapping the diff out. Noise gone! The only drawback is now that the diff isn't howling like a banchee, I can hear the other noises she makes! One at a time. Maybe...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears