Luke's 2008 JK Unlimited Build

Luke Wright

Observer
I also need to investigate a looseness in the front end. I can feel it through the steering wheel when stopped and turning the wheel and sometimes when hitting sharp bumps in the road. I noticed it when I test drove the car before I bought it, but after the lift and tires it's much more noticeable. I'm suspecting it's a loose bolt on the track bar.

Any of you Jeep guys dealt with this before?

Luke Wright

Observer
I have the greatest neighbors! How many people that you barely know would take time out of their day to help you work on your car?

I had him move the steering wheel back and forth while I was under the front end looking for "looseness". Finding it was easy, it was the clamp bolts on the tie rod that connects the steering box to the axle. They had come loose and the threads were popping around. The consequences of not catching this could be entertaining; imagine loosing your steering at highway speeds.

Bennyhana

Adventurer
The trac bar bolts are a good start. the tourqe specs on those bad boys are 130-135ft/lbs. Also depending on how much lift you gained with the OME setup, you may need to look at an adjustable trac-bar and/or some trac-bar relocation brackets. The rule of thumb is anything over 3" you're looking at a new trac-bar and other stuff. Also these things don't have the greatest steering gear boxes. So far that's the only thing I've had to replace on mine.

Did you get your speedo recal'd? If not look at the AEV Procal module or the superchips tuner.

Luke Wright

Observer
Thanks Benny!

I haven't touched the speedo. What else can you do with the superchips tuner? If I could squeeze some more power out of the engine I would not complain. I have even heard that higher fuel mileage is possible.

Also, how "mess-with-able" is the computer? There are some minor things that I would like to change. For instance, when I press the "unlock" botton on the fob I would like all the doors to unlock, not just the driver door. It also honks the horn when you lock the doors, I would like that to stop, as well as the locks automatically engaging when you reach a certain speed.

Just little annoying thngs really.

Bennyhana

Adventurer
You can do a whole lot with the superchips. If you have an Auto slushbox it'll change the shift points for you. You can set the TPMS limits lower so you can air down, recalibrate the speedo and up the idle for winching to name a few.

The owner's manual has a few tips for the key fob. I have turned my horn honk off when I lock it.

The JK's rely alot on the computer and everything pretty much runs through it. Mine did not enjoy running bigger tires and having the wheel speed different than the Dashboard speed. Seemed like it was fighting with itself to make the numbers match. Also they don't like you splicing into wires for 12v taps. Just run all acessories off the battery or a AUX fuse box. There is a sensor for everything....just google JK trouble codes...theres at least 200 different reasons the check engine light will come on.

I think the big thing with the Auto's is make sure you have the trans recall done and might want to look into a trans cooler if it doesn't already have one.

kleinrider

Observer
As Bennyhana mentioned, definitely look into a tranny cooler if you don't have one. If yours came with the towing package, you probably have one (that's how I got one - it's an '07, by the way). The Superchips is nice. I have noticed improved mileage and performance gains, though my auto is definitely not quick. I do have 4.10 gears from the factory on mine, but would love to get 5.13 gears. As I recall, this would get me back to close to stock rpm ranges. I bought my Superchips used, and save a decent amount. If you go that route, make sure the original owner has returned their JK back to stock, and the tuner doesn't show a VIN when they hook it up. If not, you'll have to pay to have it unlocked ($100, I think), so you wouldn't have saved any money. I have seen people selling them lock for a lot cheaper because they know you'll have to unlock it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kleinrider

Observer
I forgot to mention that you might want to check out Northridge4x4.com for their JK bolt upgrade package. It's all the up sized bolts for the steering components that should've come that way from the factory, and its very reasonably priced. For some reason, the holes are slightly larger than the bolts supplied from the factory. This can lead to wallowing out of the holes and ultimately the dreaded "death wobble", where the front end shakes uncontrollably.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Just a FYI-unless someone else has installed an aux cooler, your '08 didn't come with an operational/adequate cooler and unless TSB 30 has been installed, you don't have a "Hot Oil Warning" light on your dash--

Withan auto, any pre 2012 jeep NEEDS AN AUX COOLER 1

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Luke Wright

Observer
Kleinrider- do you have a link for the bolt upgrade kit?

What I'm experiencing is a light popping in the steering. I have torqued every bolt from the pitman arm down and am still getting it. This has got to be a common JK thing as one of the other Jeeps we test drove had the same issue.

I have found an army of upgraded drag links, but I don't want to throw away money of the problem is elsewhere.

Luke Wright

Observer
Also, I haven't checked to see if I have a tranny cooler, but I do have the towing package. Maybe I'm in the clear.

A huge shout out to OME suspension, we drove a few dozen miles of washboard today and I didn't even spill my coffee.

Bennyhana

Adventurer
I purchased the bolt kit from northridge4x4 for about 40 bucks. You'd be amazed at how much room the stock bolts have to wiggle around. The "clunk" in the steering...as much as I hate the phrase... Seems to be a jeep thing. However mine is a lot less noticeable after I had my steering box replaced. Some have had some success with tightening the top nut on the steering gear. There are a few write ups on jk owners forum. We have to make a date and I can go over more tips and tricks.

Oh and to add one more item to your want list. If you don't already have one, look into a tailgate holder. I got mine from www.jeepswag.com it holds the gate open... Lifesaver

kleinrider

Observer
I finally found the link for you: http://northridge4x4.com/shop/nr4x4-jeep-jk-hardware-kit

Is the clunking coming from the sway bar disconnects by chance? I buddy of mine inadvertently mounted one of his on the wrong side of the and it would bind when he turned. I would be something simple to check. By the way, I've never had an issue with a clunking steering (unless I don't know what I'm listening for...).

The transmission cooler will just be right in front of the radiator, and looks like a small radiator itself.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: As I said, your '08 JK didn't come with an operational/adequate cooler--it did come with a "warmer" in the bottom of the A/C condenser and it's worthless-to say the least-

This is what you need for under $75 bucks-

Auxcooler001.jpg

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

kleinrider

Observer
JIMBO, the one on mine (OEM) is larger than the one in your pic. I'm wondering if I ended up with something special, or if yours is just more efficient, this the larger size isn't necessary. Perhaps you have something else; are there two coolers in front of you radiator?

Luke Wright

Observer
JIMBO, the price is right, now what is it called and where do I find it?

Kleinrider, no sway bar disconnects here. I'm going to go for the up rated bolt kit and see what happens, it still could be the trackbar shifting and not any of the steering components. Everything is connected down there and any shifting would be felt thought the steering wheel.

I'm used to this kind of detective work, I was a LR guy after all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears