Luke's 2008 JK Unlimited Build

kleinrider

Observer
Don't know how I've missed this.... Looks like your making some good progress. The compressor install looks nice and clean. I'm going to recommend that to my buddies with the 2012+ JK's as they can't mount the compressor under the hood as easily as mine. Please report back on how the carpet does when it's running. I've pulled my carpet and had the tub sprayed, so it would be a moot point for me, but my buddies with the newer JK's haven't done that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Well, the new ARB DBBL compressor is GREAT, but

It's gotta have ventilation air when it's operating-I'm not in favor of installing it in a "WELL", there's no circulating air and quite often you're gonna have crap piled in that cargo area and the compressor gets "HOT"-

Mine is in the engine compt--

PICT0023-2.jpg

Course, I don't know if ARB sells the same mount for the DBBL compressor--

Well you've already gotit installed--in the cargo well--good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Luke Wright

Observer
The compressor works very well in the cargo area, it gets plenty of air and hasn't produced enough heat to even heat up the surrounding carpet, even after inflating 4 tires from 15 to 45 PSI. And because I mounted it on rubber grommets the vibration and noise are very minimal. Only time will tell, but I think this is a great alternative to mounting it under the hood and over a hot exhaust manifold.

Luke Wright

Observer
A few updates:

I took the plunge and bought an ARB fridge instead of the much cheaper Edgestar.

IMG_1639.jpg

I also had the great fortune of finding a high end bike commuter bag, that is waterproof, for $10. I decided that this will solve our roaming trash problem by making a "trasharoo".

IMG_1641.jpg

With some fender washers and stainless fasteners it looks like a spare tire backpack, like my Jeep is all ready for back to school. But it works well and after a week of rain it has remained dry on the inside.

IMG_1640.jpg

Luke Wright

Observer
I also needed a place to mount the high lift on the exterior as space is limited in the JK's. To a long time Jeeper the JK's may seem spacious, but for us Land Rover converts there just isn't nearly the cargo space. So I got a Rugged Ridge mount that bolts to the rear door hinges.

IMG_1649.jpg

IMG_1648.jpg

At almost $80 this mount isn't exactly cheap, so I was expecting great things from it. Unfortunately I was just a little disappointed. It does not hold the high lift securely at all, it has ample room to wiggle and move and it lets you know it's moving by creating a very loud clanking noise. Driving down the road, even a smooth road, produces so much noise that a long road trip would be impossible with it. For the price, it should be thought out a little better, the issues we simple to solve with copious amounts of rubber decking material, but in my opinion Rugged Ridge has sold an incomplete product.

It anyone has one of these and wants to see what I did to quiet it down, let me know and I can post better photos.

Luke Wright

Observer
Next up was an accessory socket for the fridge:

IMG_1651.jpg

I fabbed up an aluminum bracket and bolted it to the passenger side rear door jam support, and it is solid!

IMG_1652.jpg

This actually turned out so well that it looks factory. I have had the fridge in the vehicle and running for the pat four days now (including 36 hours without starting the Jeep) without any issues.

Luke Wright

Observer
I wasn't able to have the prototype drawer system done for this trip which is unfortunate. I have found that without one your gear becomes a disorganized pile in the vehicle, a pile of potential projectiles. Not to mention that the thing you need is always somewhere in the bottom of the pile. One thing that we like to have easy access to is out kitchen and food, which is too large to stack on top of other gear. So I built a shelf for it:

IMG_1655.jpg

I fabbed up some brackets from parts that anyone can get from their local hardware store and used some Thule cross bars that I had laying around. By the way, I only use stainless steel fasteners on everything, they cost substantially more, but will never rust:

IMG_1654.jpg

The kitchen box straps down very securely to the crossbars and leaves enough room to slide gear in underneath:

IMG_1657.jpg

kleinrider

Observer
It's looking really good! I really like the way the 12volt outlet looks, very good job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears