Lumpskie's 1989 Grand Wagoneer Build

Yes, I don't know if its a certain batch, or if they have started manufacturing them differently etc. But you will know you have a problem the next time you change your oil. When you remove the filter and there is hardly no oil in there, you have an issue. I have had no issues with the STP filter. But I would go ahead and see if you have an issue with your filter. You can just pull off the filter and see if there is oil in there. Worst case scenario, you lose a little bit of oil. But better to go ahead and rule that one out other than doing damage to the engine from delayed oil pressure.

Here are some part numbers:
STP - S3985
Bosch - ST3401 (or just regular 3401)
AC Delco - PF970C

All three of these seem to work just fine in regards to the anti drain back valve.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Yes, I don't know if its a certain batch, or if they have started manufacturing them differently etc. But you will know you have a problem the next time you change your oil. When you remove the filter and there is hardly no oil in there, you have an issue. I have had no issues with the STP filter. But I would go ahead and see if you have an issue with your filter. You can just pull off the filter and see if there is oil in there. Worst case scenario, you lose a little bit of oil. But better to go ahead and rule that one out other than doing damage to the engine from delayed oil pressure.

STP - S3985
AC Delco - PF970C

All three of these seem to work just fine in regards to the anti drain back valve.

I'll see which one of these I can get out here... like you said, it's definitely worth a try. For now, I just topped the Waggy off and gave it to the wife for a road trip she's taking to upstate NY and back!

lumpskie

Independent Thinker

STP - S3985
AC Delco - PF970C

Hey 1979bettywhite,

I've been looking for these oil filters and haven't had luck locally. Do you buy yours locally, or do you get yours online?

You're making me miss my Waggy :(

Yeah, they are such cool rigs. At least you have an 80 series! (My 80 is my wheeling rig and "rough" family adventure wagon)

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
So, as it is with Jeeps, I've had some ups and downs recently. The Waggy has been running great lately. In fact, my wife insisted that we bring our baby home in it next month. We have been using it a lot and even used a little 4wd to get a Christmas tree from a local tree farm.

ib4JYMth.jpg

That leads up to last night. My wife was on the phone with me in a parking lot when the Jeep died.

fzbldGxh.jpg

Over the phone trouble shooting lead us to discover that the fuel pump (Holley Red) wasn't working. Since the Jeep drove perfectly to the store, I guessed it was an electrical issue. I ran wire (power and ground) straight from the battery to the pump... no help. At this point, we got the Jeep towed home. So, here's my question for your guys. My cheap Airtex pumps wouldn't last more than a year in the Jeep. My Holley Red lasted about 3 years. What's the best/more reliable option we have for full size jeeps out there? I'd love to just fix this issue one more time and be done with it.

Just spit balling here, but I'd try to swap to an in tank pump if possible. It looks like this sender from BJ's/Novak would retain your stock gas tank.

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/Gen-III-LS-In-Tank-Fuel-Pump-Conversion_p_1953.html

If you're set on staying with a carb I'd contact them and see if they'd sell you just the sending unit, then swap in a factory lower pressure TBI fuel pump (below). Same footprint as the higher pressure pump they sell with the sending unit. I've seen guys do carb swaps on factory tbi trucks and retain the stock pump so pretty sure you can regulate it down to the pressures you would need for a carb. I'll let others chime in on that though. Hope this helps.

https://www.amazon.com/Delphi-FE011...&qid=1543318713&sr=8-1&keywords=DELPHI+FE0115

Bobzdar

Observer
Well, honestly a mech pump is going to be the more reliable option compared to an inline pump, for the most part.

My old ford f350 had an in-tank low pressure pump to feed the carb, you could easily modify the stock sender to incorporate that. Here's a link to it: https://auteria.us/i-30125723-fuel-...MI2Kjf7PX03gIVxkCGCh0V6gVMEAQYASABEgJ3rvD_BwE

In my experience they're much more reliable than the inline pumps. Those burn out fairly frequently.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I called BJ's and they said they didn't really have what I was looking for. They said I could use the high pressure setup you guys linked with a pressure regulator down to 6psi, but that sounds like a potential for catestrophic failure if the regulator went. Since there isn't a "kit" for this out there, I just ordered another Holley Red for the time being. I already have the power line with a weather pak connector on there, so I can get the Jeep up and running quickly this way. I'll keep looking for a good in-tank option for a pump and get parts lined up for install when it isn't snowy out.

thanks again,

Bobzdar

Observer
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I called BJ's and they said they didn't really have what I was looking for. They said I could use the high pressure setup you guys linked with a pressure regulator down to 6psi, but that sounds like a potential for catestrophic failure if the regulator went. Since there isn't a "kit" for this out there, I just ordered another Holley Red for the time being. I already have the power line with a weather pak connector on there, so I can get the Jeep up and running quickly this way. I'll keep looking for a good in-tank option for a pump and get parts lined up for install when it isn't snowy out.

thanks again,

The setup I had is low pressure - it was meant to feed carburetor trucks. I may have linked the wrong one above - this style uses a small in-tank pump that's low pressure for carbs. They were used on the 7.5 liter (460) fords that were carburetor only. You can see the pump with sock attached at the very bottom, uses 2 lines just like the stock mech. setup for feed and return, could be fairly easily retrofitted to the stock sending unit. I've linked both the full sending unit and just the pump below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-1980-1984-Ford-F350-Fuel-Pump-and-Sender-Assembly-Airtex-43576FD-1983-1981/292740663944?epid=5024089458&hash=item4428b40a88:g:7RcAAOSwzgJbp87J&fits=Year:1984|Model:F-350|Make:Ford

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Airtex-E2484-Fuel-Pump-For-80-89-Ford-F-250-F-350-Electric-w-Pump-Motor/122530905118?epid=1338712600&hash=item1c87693c1e:g:arMAAOSwjXNa4bNs&fits=Year:1984|Model:F-350|Make:Ford

On my truck it fed an edelbrock carb, it had one pump in each tank, no regulator.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
The setup I had is low pressure - it was meant to feed carburetor trucks. I may have linked the wrong one above - this style uses a small in-tank pump that's low pressure for carbs. They were used on the 7.5 liter (460) fords that were carburetor only. You can see the pump with sock attached at the very bottom, uses 2 lines just like the stock mech. setup for feed and return, could be fairly easily retrofitted to the stock sending unit. I've linked both the full sending unit and just the pump below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-1980-1984-Ford-F350-Fuel-Pump-and-Sender-Assembly-Airtex-43576FD-1983-1981/292740663944?epid=5024089458&hash=item4428b40a88:g:7RcAAOSwzgJbp87J&fits=Year:1984|Model:F-350|Make:Ford

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Airtex-E2484-Fuel-Pump-For-80-89-Ford-F-250-F-350-Electric-w-Pump-Motor/122530905118?epid=1338712600&hash=item1c87693c1e:g:arMAAOSwjXNa4bNs&fits=Year:1984|Model:F-350|Make:Ford

On my truck it fed an edelbrock carb, it had one pump in each tank, no regulator.

Thanks for the info! Did those Airtex pumps end up being reliable? I've had issues with other Airtex products in the past.

Bobzdar

Observer
Thanks for the info! Did those Airtex pumps end up being reliable? I've had issues with other Airtex products in the past.

I think the ones in my truck were actually Bosch units, and were still original (it was an '83). I had to pull the senders as both floats had collapsed so the gas gauge wasn't reading. You may want to search for the Bosch version, they're probably more expensive but I don't think longevity will be an issue with bosch. I was able to find both spectra and Delphi versions of the same pump, but didn't look very hard.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Just to catch this thread up... I installed the new Holley Red to replace the dead one. Then we used the Jeep to go to the hospital and, eventually, bring home our new baby girl! We also used the Jeep to grab a Christmas tree at a local tree farm, where it got a little dirt time. Having fun driving it.

ib4JYMth.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman