Lumpskie's 1989 Grand Wagoneer Build

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
What oil do you run? You need to verify the sending unit isn't false by checking it with a good mechanical pressure gauge.

I'm just running standard mineral oil, 10w30. It's a good idea to verify with a mechanical gauge.

OK, so according to the 1989 FSM the 360 should run 13 @600, and 37-75 @1600, lots of varying post on low oil pressure for the 360. But, please don't soley take my word for it. Just doing a search of the FSM led me to 9-179.

Thanks for the tip on the FSM. I can't believe I didn't see it on there earlier! I'll download it tonight.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Okay, so, it's a 360, theres your first problem. Oiling issues abound. As they age, they tend to wear out, oil pressure tends to drop.

Now, lets assume its a healthy 360 and there isn't actually a major oiling problem, bad bearings or anything like that.

1. Are you using a mechanical gauge, or the gauge in the dash that at best is only a good guess?

2. What is "normal" and what is "10psi low" Please provide the numbers.

I wouldn't trust the factory in dash gauge, and a lot of folks don't. Mine is long non-op and I have always run a mechanical gauge that runs on a copper tube from the oil pump.

Here's what I would try, and in what order I would try it:

1. replace sending unit, cheap and easy.

2. Install, even if only temporary, a mechanical gauge. also cheap and easy, and you could rest knowing you have 2 monitoring systems if you left the sending unit in place.

3. is problem still persists, look into resurfacing the oil pump housing, or installing BJ's midplate assembly.

So, a little bit of info/story from my perspective, just for reference and to give you some numbers to compare to: When I bought my wag, the engine it had was putting out about 30psi at highway speed. That's bad. My idle oil pressure was somewhere under 10. Thats bad. The above was with 40 weight....which means its even more bad. I replaced my engine (with an engine that had about 155k on the odometer), and when warmed up on the highway, it's running about 50-55 psi. Thats good/normal. Idling, its still only 10ish. Thats not great, but it is what it is. That's with standard 10w30. Factory minimum spec for the 360 at idle is something silly like 13psi, or so I've been told.

I'm not sure if you read any of it, but recently i had a similar issue. out of nowhere i lost 10-20 psi. Idling was at/under 0psi. Highway was like 25psi. I was freaking out. Oh no, woe is me! I need another new engine! This ones gonna blow any second. I went out and bought new gauges hoping my old mechanical gauge was just on the fritz. turned out I found this... a chunk of RTV stuck in the inlet for the pressure gauge. I wiped it clean, reinstalled, and everything was right as rain.

I had a wrangler where the oil gauge would drop to 0 at stop lights. was sending unit.

My 2005 dodge magnum with the Hemi did the same thing, while i was on the highway and i about pooped my pants. Was sending unit.

So, what I'm getting at there is that commonly, if it seems like a sudden drop or change, it's probably something simple. Check what the others have suggested, and go from there. Should be easy peasy.

Zeiderman

Adventurer
I'm just running standard mineral oil, 10w30. It's a good idea to verify with a mechanical gauge.

Thanks for the tip on the FSM. I can't believe I didn't see it on there earlier! I'll download it tonight.
There are other good manuals as well on that same site, several for the 360, and a parts number book. Beware that the FSM is about a gabillion pages of FSJ fun so it may take a minute, but well worth it..

Buy the way, I wish I had your oil pressure.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Thanks for the responses, you guys.

Doc: Here are my oil pressure numbers:

Normally:
Cold: City: 60psi Highway: 60 psi
Warm: City 40 psi Highway: 50 psi

Now:
Warm: City 30 psi Highway: 40 psi

Like you guys said... this seems like it's an issue with the gauge/sender rather than the engine because it happened so suddenly. I'm going to check the sender connections this Saturday. If the sender looks suspicious, I'll just replace it to be sure.

Zeiderman: Thanks, as always, for the references. And thanks for reassurance that my pressures still look good!

unkamonkey

Explorer

Doc: Here are my oil pressure numbers:

Normally:
Warm: City 40 psi Highway: 50 psi

Now:
Warm: City 30 psi Highway: 40 psi

Like you guys said... this seems like it's an issue with the gauge/sender rather than the engine because it happened so suddenly. I'm going to check the sender connections this Saturday. If the sender looks suspicious, I'll just replace it to be sure.

Zeiderman: Thanks, as always, for the references. And thanks for reassurance that my pressures still look good!

Really, I dont see a problem with those numbers. My old Volvo showed from 30 PSI at idle to 70 PSI on the road. I didn't mess with the pump so I'm thinking it might be a reason these motors run so long. If I went out and fired up either of my V6s, they would be at over 60 PSI at idle when cold. On my first Jeep after I did the engine transplant, I could blow the filter off on a cold morning, oops, an old Jeep guy told me how to fix it.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Really, I dont see a problem with those numbers. My old Volvo showed from 30 PSI at idle to 70 PSI on the road. I didn't mess with the pump so I'm thinking it might be a reason these motors run so long. If I went out and fired up either of my V6s, they would be at over 60 PSI at idle when cold. On my first Jeep after I did the engine transplant, I could blow the filter off on a cold morning, oops, an old Jeep guy told me how to fix it.

I agree in a way but if his oil pressure is dropping across the board then that is indicative of an issue or a faulty reading.

If it's beause if high mileage and wear it'll take a while to slowly slowly go down. If your numbers were good and now dropped 10psi but everything sounds and feels normal if say something is not reading right.

Even if the sending unit doesn't look suspect it could still be faulty on the inside. Replace it and see what happens

unkamonkey

Explorer
What brand of oil are you using? I have found that there is a varience in pressure even though they say they are the same weight oils.
A friend built race bikes and he only used Kendell. Great stuff but near impossible to find around here anymore.
I tried Rotella in my van and motor hime, Both burned a fair amout of oil. I've read that there is two types, so I don't use Rotella any more.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker

Just to keep this thread up to date...

Either the Waggy healed itself or I had misread the gauge just after I changed the oil. This last weekend, I took it for a drive to get firm oil pressure number before cleaning the sending unit contacts. Warm oil pressure at 75mpg was 55psi and 40psi in the neighborhood!

I'll keep an eye on it, just in case. But the pressure looked good all weekend!

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Thanks you guys! I think I'm going to have to make trips like that one an annual thing... it was amazingly beautiful there in fall!

Also... I forgot the gas cap on my roof during my last fill up. I drove away; it fell on the ground, and it got run over. But, I still had my original gas cap, with the bad seal.

So, I swapped the seals and I'm back in business!

Zeiderman

Adventurer
Been looking as well, as I don't want to get a winch, not an absolute replacement but a good start. Max is in pretty tight with the EP crowd, I say go for it. It's hard to swallow 1G after winch and bumper to use just a couple times.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

IndyRubicon

Globetrotter
No updates... just sayin "hi". The Jeep is running great... to the store and back. I need to get it out in the snow.
I'm thinking of asking for these for Christmas:

http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=12721

Anyone have experience/opinions on them? I'm just thinking that they are Maxtrax for half the cost...

I used to wonder who in the world would ever buy something like that and then laugh at those I saw with them strapped to their roof racks. I just couldn't imagine a scenario when I'd need them.

Well, last weekend I went off roading with a group and we came across a drop-off in which the left side was really rutted out and if we'd of gone through there, more than one of us would have lost fender flares. I remember thinking that I wish we had one of those things to put down over the part that had been rutted out. So, now I can see how they can be useful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78